Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-17-2013, 03:03 PM   #1

First trip

My first overnight trip. In a snow storm (Alabama), defroster does not work (using a hair dryer) and a blade fell off the windshield. Own a 378. Hell, what should I expect for over $100,000.
buddyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 03:40 PM   #2

I was just watching the Weather Channel about IAGO (name of the storm). Sounds nasty. Hope things go better for you.
Old 01-17-2013, 04:47 PM   #3

Yea, we're from Northeast AL. I was going to go as it would be our first trip but decided to hold off until tomorrow. Why'd they start naming Winter storms?
Old 01-17-2013, 06:09 PM   #4

My son got the defroster fixed. Now with the snow storm we will not arrive in Orlando until well after midnight rather than 10:00.
buddyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 07:14 PM   #5

My first trip was about 30 miles one way. Amazing how dumb I was. Second trip was 1,000 miles one way. Amazing how dumb I was. We made it in one piece only cause God watches over dummies. These motorhomes are a total jigsaw puzzle of 10,000 pieces. All of them shaking like an earthquake down the road. My advice to any newbie owner is find a buddy to give you advice, do several shake down runs of short mileage to a nearby RV parks spending the night and most important RTFM! I think back to the start of our RV experience and marvel at my ego and stupidity. I'm humbler and way more careful now. Who says you can't teach an old dog new tricks?
Old 01-17-2013, 07:26 PM   #6

Buddyu, it took every bit of a full year and countless trips to the dealer to work out all of the bugs before the warranty expired. I have had four Fleetwood Class A MHS, an Itasca and now the Georgetown. ALL were full of bugs. The only thing that still doesn't work to my satisfaction are the Lippert Jacks. Cap still overflows (as designed), and the Autolevel is like going on a thrill ride. (again, as designed). I level it manually, which is no big deal. Overall, I am happy with the coach (I have to be, I still owe on it). Just understand almost all new rigs take a year to get right. That's why they have the warranty. The only problem comes if you are not close to your dealer, or they don't take care of things. I am 50 miles from mine, and they are exceptional when taking care of you.

Happy Trails, Forrest
2011 Georgetown 378TS
2011 Ford Escape V-6 4X4
fbconsults is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 12:13 PM   #7
CLASS "A" Senior Member

We still driveway camp before we hit the road every season. We pretty much go out on Friday and stay the weekend. We use everything as much as necessary to make sure it's working. Briefly use the AC in March just to be sure it's good to go as well. It's much better if something doesn't work to take care of it at home. Especially since my tools are withing 25ft of the coach I can take my time to find the problem and fix it. We've been driveway camping since we first bought our Coleman Bayside Pop-up in 1999.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 12:29 PM   #8
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfsoistman View Post
We still driveway camp before we hit the road every season. We pretty much go out on Friday and stay the weekend. We use everything as much as necessary to make sure it's working. Briefly use the AC in March just to be sure it's good to go as well. It's much better if something doesn't work to take care of it at home. Especially since my tools are withing 25ft of the coach I can take my time to find the problem and fix it. We've been driveway camping since we first bought our Coleman Bayside Pop-up in 1999.
I wish that was an option for us! Our driveway barely fit our Coleman pop-up (19' bumper to coupler) and is at an extreme angle. I'm betting there was no way to get it level!

Now that we have the fifth wheel - it lives in storage and comes home for a few days of prep before and after trips (or when I'm tinkering on it).

Come on 2015... daddy needs a new house as 60x24 pole building!
Old 01-18-2013, 07:12 PM   #9

ependydad might as well wish big.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RV_Garage_4_bigger.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	45.6 KB
ID:	23130  
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 07:20 PM   #10
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post

ependydad might as well wish big.
So nice! I can't imagine we'll find anything like that around here short of custom building a home. And- for this (Baltimore/DC metro) area, that's just cost prohibitive!

I've tried explaining to the wife that we don't need a guest room or office in the new house- the building and camper would provide those. She's just not buying into the idea. :-)
Old 01-18-2013, 11:18 PM   #11

Ependydad, try this

This is a less expensive alternative. 4k and you are in good shape
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0231.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	23134  
Old 01-19-2013, 02:56 PM   #12

Nice!!
2011 Georgetown 378TS
2011 Ford Escape V-6 4X4
fbconsults is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 04:43 PM   #13
itch'n to road trip

Send a message via AIM to campnqueen Send a message via MSN to campnqueen Send a message via Yahoo to campnqueen
WWhhhhaaaaa.... I so love rading this forum!

RE: Reading the manual...NOT! Can it be MORE vague? Really?!?

The forum has been invaluable. Going to rallys helps too. Getting to talk to all the "old guys" who have been doing this for awhile.

I rv'ed most of my life with my dad and mom. (Old dad was pretty darn good...sometimes.) But my dear hubby, not so much. So I am always telling him what we need to do. I almost have him trained! :O

2012 Ford F-250 King Ranch Super Crew Cab 4x4
2014 Work & Play 25ULA
Paula Drake, Ken Cooksey, Sunny Delight, Valor & Scarlet Begonia
Jasper Ga.
campnqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 05:51 PM   #14

I love my 378, live out of it full time. There are a few minor things with it that are under warranty, problem is getting them fixed because living full time in it. Hope your problems go away, hang in there, it takes time and it gets better. Happy camping!
XL 378 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 01:29 AM   #15
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by copsuno View Post
This is a less expensive alternative. 4k and you are in good shape
Exactly what I did and love it....
awwall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 09:16 PM   #16

Awwall, how is the Focus for towing? I tow a 2001 Saturn SL1, 2350lbs, but straight stick and looking for an automatic to tow.
Old 01-21-2013, 10:22 AM   #17

IGGY & COPSUNO
Thanks for the pictures
Real nice set-up

I'de send you one of mine
but its a RV with a cover on it.
Witch is just a little-bit better
than nothing.
jojo bamboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 05:09 AM   #18
Sherlock

2012 378XL TS; tow a 2012 Focus & love it. You will need a battery cut off installed but it works great.