Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-15-2013, 05:37 PM   #1

Fixed both toilets today

They both had gradually lost their water supply. Disconnected the supply line and cleared the in-line screen. It was full of white particles that looked like bits of scale that might have come from the fresh water tank at one of the many RV parks I have stayed at. They now have very good water flow again. Also had some of the same material in a diffuser on a sink faucet that had reduced its flow too. Posting this as a tip if you have a similar problem. Also, put a large towel on the floor before you disconnect the toilet line. A surprising amount will drain out.
BillMFl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 05:54 PM   #2
Site Team

Howdy Bill. Glad to hear you got it fixed up.

You can also get deposits out of your water heater, as well as small particles from your anode rod inside your water heater, if it's a Suburban brand name.

Have you replaced this anode rod, or flushed out your water heater as part of routine maintenance?

These particles can also clog up your faucets and shower.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 08:13 PM   #3

Every water source clogged except the shower within the first month of ownership.
LOTS of plastic from all those holes in the fresh water tank.

Did it again this year when we again used the fresh water tank, makes me wonder what the water filter is doing?
City water ONLY???

ab&jb
Old 11-15-2013, 08:22 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by abjb View Post
Every water source clogged except the shower within the first month of ownership.
LOTS of plastic from all those holes in the fresh water tank.

Did it again this year when we again used the fresh water tank, makes me wonder what the water filter is doing?
City water ONLY???

ab&jb
Your water filter is between the tank and faucets?
Old 11-15-2013, 08:45 PM   #5

I don't know about your Georgetown, but on our Sunseeker the water filter services both the city water supply and the fresh water tank/pump. It fills up with antifreeze when I pump it out of the fresh water tank, then fills with clear water when I run city water to flush it.
RamblerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 08:58 PM   #6

YEP It's supposed to filter ALL the water....HhMm wonder where ALL those little pieces of plastic are coming from.... when we use the fresh water tank?
Old 11-16-2013, 10:49 AM   #7

Quote:
YEP It's supposed to filter ALL the water....HhMm wonder where ALL those little pieces of plastic are coming from.... when we use the fresh water tank?
We have the same coach. I know the little particles are not from the water heater because hot water does not get to the toilets! I didn't have my reading glasses on so the particles could have been bits of plastic. If so the problem should be self limiting. There were no particles in the kitchen sink faucet which gets used the most. Only in the toilets and one bathroom faucet which were all in the back half of the coach.
Old 11-16-2013, 11:13 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillMFl View Post
We have the same coach. I know the little particles are not from the water heater because hot water does not get to the toilets! I didn't have my reading glasses on so the particles could have been bits of plastic. If so the problem should be self limiting. There were no particles in the kitchen sink faucet which gets used the most. Only in the toilets and one bathroom faucet which were all in the back half of the coach.
Does your filter, filter the water before or after the tank?
Old 11-16-2013, 04:42 PM   #9

I've seen at least one other owner report the same kind of lime particles. Had the same white particles (appearing to be calcium/lime) in both toilets of my Georgetown. It's real puzzeling as to their source since I'm using both the built-in filter and an add-on culligan filter. Although the water heater had alot of lime in it when I flushed it out and replaced the anode rod; I don't know how the lime could reach the toilets.
rjohnso3a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 07:47 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjohnso3a View Post
I've seen at least one other owner report the same kind of lime particles. Had the same white particles (appearing to be calcium/lime) in both toilets of my Georgetown. It's real puzzeling as to their source since I'm using both the built-in filter and an add-on culligan filter. Although the water heater had alot of lime in it when I flushed it out and replaced the anode rod; I don't know how the lime could reach the toilets.
Here are a few more.
follow the links

toilet

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...e-21989-2.html

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...nes-21133.html

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...let-16908.html

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...nlet-9926.html

and on it goes.

Some people blame the hot water heater, then someone else pointed out that the toilet doesn't connect to the hot water heater.

ab&jb
Old 11-19-2013, 08:56 PM   #11

The cold water feed to the water heater has an anti back flow valve to prevent hot water from flowing back into the cold water supply line. However, the siphon valve can get blocked partially open by calcium particles or other build up. When that valve remains partially open warm water can back flow into the cold water system, especially when only cold water is running, such as when a toilet is flushed, or brushing teeth in the bathroom sink. I think that solves the mystery of how anode particles could get into the cold water lines. The cold water feed line and anti siphon valve are attached near the bottom of the water heater, just where the particles collect. The particles are much less likely to enter the hot water lines because they exit near the top of the tank.
Old 11-20-2013, 12:40 PM   #12
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Noticed that someone posted plastic particles from the holes made in the fresh water tank? There's a strainer prior to the pump that should catch all of that unless the strainer has been removed. I did find a few there once the tank was close to empty. As small as they were they might even float, but didn't think to check that after throwing them away. After that the whole house filter would catch the remaining particles.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 07:02 PM   #13

I have found two sources for the particles......hot water tank not being completely cleaned out and a gradual buildup inside the water lines. I live in the SW so often times we will get the gradual buildup in the lines from the high mineral content of the water. And a filter will not stop this from happening!
Puma243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 08:21 PM   #14

Are we the only ones who have had this happen within weeks of purchase (new 2012 bought aug 2011, clogged by late sept 2011)?

ab&jb
Old 11-22-2013, 08:25 PM   #15
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Are we the only ones who have had this happen within weeks of purchase (new 2012 bought aug 2011, clogged by late sept 2011)?

ab&jb
Two brand new forest river products in 8 years and not once have I had this issue.

Albeit one was a flagstaff and one a sabre.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 05:24 PM   #16

BillMFI, thanks for that info. A year or so I reported the debris from the hot water tank clogging my toilet water input, and was told that the hot water tank did not connect to the toilet. I knew that, but I also knew the debris was from the tank (I later replaced the anode and flushed the tank), but didn't know how it got there. The water was also warm.

Thanks, Forrest
2011 Georgetown 378TS
2011 Ford Escape V-6 4X4
fbconsults is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 05:43 PM   #17

You are most welcome

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbconsults View Post
BillMFI, thanks for that info. A year or so I reported the debris from the hot water tank clogging my toilet water input, and was told that the hot water tank did not connect to the toilet. I knew that, but I also knew the debris was from the tank (I later replaced the anode and flushed the tank), but didn't know how it got there. The water was also warm.

Thanks, Forrest
I learned all about the anti back flow valve the hard way in a 5ver I used to own. I pulled it and cleaned it out but put it back in backwards. No water for the water heater! haha
Old 12-29-2013, 08:13 AM   #18
Sherlock

2012 378XL:
Thanks much for this info. Got in late last night after a 500 mile drive & the toilet had no water. Just finished taking the water line loose at the base, used q-tips to clean out the line & now works great. This forum has really helped me over the last 2 years. Keep them coming.
Old 12-29-2013, 10:04 AM   #19

I started another thread on this a while back and I am having the same issue. I am not sure what to sediment is.

The first 3 camping trips this has happened. 2 city water trips and one dry camping trip. I have ruled out that it is coming from the city water, plus I have a filter on my pressure regulator. It clogged the faucets, shower and the last time my toilet. Faucets no big deal but the toilet was a bitch to try and fix.

I sure wish I knew how to stop this from happening.
Klamaths Premium "Porter" JH RIP
Raney's Blazin' "Baxter"
All white Siberian Husky "Turbo"
goin2drt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 11:01 AM   #20

Various forms of this complaint go back to early 2011. Seems to be a very common problem on several Forest River products whether it be a pull behind or motor home. Also doesn't seem to be a toilet brand issue either as it is common on Dometic, Aqua Magic and others. I have read many of the responses from the various threads and the one that makes the "Most" sense to me is from BillMFI and the anti back flow valve getting stuck partially open from water heater tank sediment. What this all has taught me is to get a new anode rod this spring and to change it every year. Along with that, flush out the water heater at least once a season. Hopefully this will cure the problem for me as it seems to work for many that have experienced this same P.I.T.A. issue.
Kia Sportage on MasterTow Dolly
sherman12 is offline   Reply With Quote