Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-18-2016, 01:19 PM   #1

Fl heat & A/C

Ok our first trip in the heat of the summer in our GT 351DS. We left at noon from the Atlanta area headed to the Dayton area. Outside temps were high 90s we had both A/C units maxed out and the inside of the coach was 90 deg. The coldest it got was 84 deg and that's because we hit a rain shower. Is everyone seeing these temps....

Mr. G

2015 Forest River Georgetown 351DS
MrGrmpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 01:35 PM   #2

Are you on the road? We are parked in Oklahoma and we've had temps in the high 90s and our 13500 btu and 15000 btu a/c have handled the temps. But we never shut them down. We ensure that the inside never gets above 70 degrees and we always just let them run so the furniture and everything else is cold soaked as much as possible. Also helps the refer stay cold.
Kirby the Old Dog, passed but still in our hearts
Max E. Dog, the new pup
Eureka the Old Cat, still hangin' on
Lostdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 02:11 PM   #3

Yes we were driving down to FL.

Mr. G

Old 07-18-2016, 08:43 PM   #4
Tim & Lisa Trempert

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGrmpy View Post
Ok our first trip in the heat of the summer in our GT 351DS. We left at noon from the Atlanta area headed to the Dayton area. Outside temps were high 90s we had both A/C units maxed out and the inside of the coach was 90 deg. The coldest it got was 84 deg and that's because we hit a rain shower. Is everyone seeing these temps....

Mr. G

Mine cools fine. Are your bathroom and kitchen vents closed? All windows closed? Dash A/C off so no outside air comes through?

Lastly, what temperature do you have each AC set at and are you using the duct work or opening the bypass louvers?

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 07-18-2016, 09:22 PM   #5

I had both A/C set for 75. They never reached temp so stayed on. 1/2 way through trip I cracked the main vent on both A/C s. My original thought process was to use the ducts to force air around the coach. I noticed the rear A/C or bed room area was cooling off so I put a fan in the bed room to push air upfront.

Mr. G

Old 07-19-2016, 12:41 PM   #6

When we've been driving I usually use the main vent (dump vent) because it lets a lot more cold air out in the living area, and have the back one running on ducts. We've driven 4-5 hours in 80-90 degrees and it's worked fine to keep the coach cool. Very important to keep the windows and roof vents shut however - the one time it hasn't worked we had left the roof vent open and it was sucking all the cold air out as we drove.

Garren
Edgar & Carlos (felines)
RIP Sophie, the sweetest cat ever.
ChrisAndGarren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 01:58 PM   #7

I use my foam pillow inserts for my vents and foam core board in the skylights and windows to cut down on excessive heat or the cold. If not driving I'll hang a heavy blanket between cab and coach as most heat or cold comes in thru the cab. I also cover the front and side windows with silver metallic covers.
mtnlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 03:09 PM   #8

I live in Florida where everyday is over 90 degrees. My Roo 25 RS stays cool and it only has 1 A/C.
Epat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 04:23 PM   #9

GeorgetownXL AC

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGrmpy View Post

Mr. G

We live in SC where it is hot as hell and very humid. Travel often to Myrtle Beach area. With temps in the high 90's to low 100's lately, we run our gen and cabin ac while on the road and it cools great. Often we will close off the bedroom and only run one ac unit, and it still cools great. As mentioned make sure all vents are closed. If not they will suck out the ac. At the beach with no shade the units will keep us in the low 70's with no problems.

We travel in a 2013 Georgetown XL 378 V 10

Harvey and Susan
SCUBA Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 04:44 PM   #10

Ours work fine in Florida heat. We have never had a problem keeping our coach cool.

Either your a/c units have a problem or there is some big air leak in the coach releasing cooled air into the atmosphere.
Old 07-20-2016, 09:45 AM   #11

We get temps around 100 a lot in Eastern Washington and Montana and we just use the front A/C in the bypass mode and never have trouble.. Keeps us cool but usually never cycles off much and if it does it is not for long