Old 07-20-2014, 04:16 PM   #1

Flashing charge light on dash

Decided to exercise the onan on the 5 mile drive home, so fired up the ac to put a load on it. Turned onto our short dirt road and was driving about 15 mph when I look down and see the battery light flashing. Gave it a little gas and the light disappeared. Before I start digging around, any ideas from the brain trust? 2007 349 XL Georgetown w/5500 Onan

Thanks.

Jaye(Mn)

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

Old 07-20-2014, 04:35 PM   #2

Could be the chassis battery is low after starting the rig. When alternator is sped up and begins charging and will cancel the low volt light. Key note, is that original chassis battery? Could be a current drain while sitting idle cause your situ should not happen with healthy battery.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

Old 07-20-2014, 05:02 PM   #3
Tim & Lisa Trempert

Try cleaning the battery posts on the chassis battery and make sure they are tight. Also, make sure the alternator belt is tight.
Old 07-20-2014, 06:43 PM   #4

Well, I did take the battery cables off and the positive was "dirty"...probably about 70% around the post. Both are clean now. Started it up and let it idle, no light. Funny thing....just checked the water in the batts this week and all were fine. Also...I believe this is the original battery as it's a ford Motorcraft and the house batts are Napa

Old 07-20-2014, 07:38 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnflyboy View Post
Well, I did take the battery cables off and the positive was "dirty"...probably about 70% around the post. Both are clean now. Started it up and let it idle, no light. Funny thing....just checked the water in the batts this week and all were fine. Also...I believe this is the original battery as it's a ford Motorcraft and the house batts are Napa

Interesting cause chassis batteries often outlast coach. Even still its fast approaching eight years old. If it has a classic old battery failure your're stuck regardless of your coach batteries without the change out procedure. Most people change them out 5-6 years old, sounds like you're due.
Old 07-22-2014, 01:18 PM   #6

Changed out the Chassis battery last nite with another motorcraft....will start it and let it reprogram idle, etc tonight. I hope it was the dirty positive post that was causing my issue, but like you guys said, the battery is up there in age. With an upcoming 500 mile trip this weekend and then leaving for Sturgis on the 1st, I think a new battery was warranted. Will follow up later.

Jaye(Mn)
Old 07-29-2014, 07:34 AM   #7

Did the 500 mile trip and no light. Getting ready to head for Sturgis on Friday....hope it's not as windy as it was coming home this past Sunday!! Wow.

Jaye(Mn)
Old 08-13-2014, 07:44 AM   #8

Update: Trip to Sturgis and the light came on again. Stopped at a rest area and started the Genny to run the air. Went to leave and started the MH and the light came on(genny still running). This time it was on steady and would briefly go off or flicker when the tranny shifted for a hill causing the rpms to jump. I should have shut it off and restarted to see if it went off, but I didn't. Drove down the freeway for 20 miles or so and then I turned the Chassis Air Conditioner on and the light went OFF and stayed off. What the heck. Anyways, didn't happen again on the way home, but wasn't running the genny while driving. Will have watch for this on future trips.

Jaye(Mn)
Old 08-13-2014, 08:41 AM   #9

My thoughts are to check the wiring at the alternator, may even need an alternator..... I like to use an amp meter to see what kind of amperage the alternator is putting out / instead of just checking voltage. Maybe the alternator is weak and not putting out enough amperage. Probably should see 60-110 amps at 2000 Rpms with lights, a/c blower on high etc. maybe only see around 20 amps at idle if the battery is good.

2013 Georgetown XL 350
Bunkhouse
2002 F250 4X4 CC
2012 Jeep Liberty
Old 08-13-2014, 10:45 AM   #10

The alternator seems to be working fine all the other times....no light EXCEPT when the Genny is running. I don't know....almost seems like there might be a power back feed going on or something. Next time it happens, I'll shut the genny down and see if the light goes off.

Jaye(Mn)

Tags
light