Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-28-2016, 09:57 PM   #21

I must admit i was impressed with our 2014 378xl as we traveled to our home in Alaska. After we purchased it in Wyoming, We traveled to Nebraska to pickup our Harleys, stopped by Sturgis, then headed north. I would estimate the weight we towed was less then 2500 lbs, but after I got use to the rig, it did just fine.
Old 02-29-2016, 01:10 AM   #22

Vince we are not talking about flat land Florida, we are talking about 6% grade interstate's that climb for miles. Not sure where you have traveled out west but at 40 mph I am passing almost all tractor trailer rigs. The hills are posted "Slow Trucks Ahead" which should be enough warning for drivers. In the 20 years of RVing out west I have never seen any car smashing into the back of a slow moving vehicle but I guess it could happen.

To the OP you will be fine out west with a V-10 Ford Chassis.
Old 03-07-2016, 11:01 PM   #23

I don't worry too much about the speed going up hill, but watch my RPM, however, what concerns me is the speed and control coming down that 6 or 7 % grade.
gruntx30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 12:13 AM   #24

I have to get this upgrade.... I can't stand the tranny in my 30 DS... and if it helps towing... Even better
Days Camped 74
twojump36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 12:20 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARMAN View Post
Hi folks I just installed the 5 star programmer on my 2015 FR3 30DS a couple of days ago and so far it seems to have addressed the issue of high rpm shift from 1-2 & 2-3 and it feels much more responsive when accelerating . You can definitely feel the extra torque & horsepower. It was very easy to install, took about 15 minutes. Just make sure your jacks are raised up , plug it in and follow the on screen directions it uploads the factory setting and then downloads the new program and your done. I won't know how well it does in mountains for a couple of months. I would recommend this to any rv'er that is tired of lifting their foot for the trans to shift.
Can you tell me where you find this programmer or a part number?
Old 03-08-2016, 05:49 AM   #26

http://5startuning.com/

2016 Sabre 36QBOK
2015 Ram 3500 CUMMINS
Old 03-08-2016, 10:21 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by gruntx30 View Post
I don't worry too much about the speed going up hill, but watch my RPM, however, what concerns me is the speed and control coming down that 6 or 7 % grade.
At last years FROG Rally in Goshen IN. the Ford Expert talked about proper use of the Tow Haul Mode.
1. When to use is going down steep grades.
2. How to activate it.
3. Trust it when going down hills as it will not allow you to blow up your engine. He said it may seem to be at a high rpm but it will not allow the transmission or engine to blow up. I have used it towing down very very steep and long grades and it works.

The Ford brochure says this:
Tow/Haul delays upshifts to reduce frequency of transmission shifting.
Tow/Haul also provides engine braking in all forward gears when the
transmission is in the D (Overdrive) position; this engine braking will
slow the vehicle and assist the driver in controlling the vehicle when
descending a grade. Depending on driving conditions and load
conditions, the transmission may downshift, slow the vehicle and control
the vehicle speed when descending a hill, without the accelerator pedal
being pressed. The amount of downshift braking provided will vary based
upon the amount the brake pedal is depressed.

Grade braking downshifts occur automatically when:
• positive vehicle acceleration (natural acceleration from driving on a
decline) is sensed.
• nearly all pressure is released from the accelerator pedal.
• a minimum amount of time has expired since the last grade braking
downshift.

Grade braking downshift mode is immediately exited if the Tow/Haul
mode is deactivated or if the accelerator pedal is depressed beyond a
minimum threshold.

To deactivate the Tow/Haul feature and return to normal driving mode,
press the button on the end of the gearshift lever. The TOW HAUL light
will no longer be illuminated.

When you shut-off and restart the engine, the transmission will
automatically return to normal D (Overdrive) mode (Tow/Haul OFF).

Here is a document that he handed out to help understand and use the Ford Tow Haul Mode.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Branson 096.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	409.9 KB
ID:	101363   Click image for larger version

Name:	Branson 095.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	434.3 KB
ID:	101364   Click image for larger version

Name:	Branson 094.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	373.3 KB
ID:	101365  
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 10:53 AM   #28

I love the tow/haul feature in the mountains over here in Montana.. It really saves the brakes but it is scary listening to the engine scream.. I have noticed in out new 2016 6 speed trans that even when you are not in tow haul and hit a really steep down hill it will start down shifting and slowing us down.. Over here if they did not have the tow haul feature it would waste the brakes in no time
Old 03-08-2016, 11:22 AM   #29

Going down hill isn't an issue for me, even when towing... I've towed things thousands and thousands of miles up hills and down hills.... in tow mode and out of tow mode..
My FR3 30 DS scared the living shizzle out of me when it decided to downshift while in the middle of a very normal down slope... while just coasting at a manageable speed...(40-45mph)... I think my transmission must have went from Drive to 2nd gear without warning.... the engine rev'ed to over 5500 RPM's...
I've never experienced anything like it.... I think it's Ford's version of an Allison Automatic you find on the Chevy Duramax's....
When I take off from a stop... (not towing and not in tow mode)... my transmission shifts normally from 1st to 2nd... from 2nd to 3rd or 3rd to 4th... it won't shift until it is over 4000 RPM's or I lift my foot... if I lift my foot it will shift normally.
There is nothing I've ever driven that rev's like this Ford thing.... I've driven everything you can run on the road or track and the only thing that comes close is a NASCAR.... or my motocross bike.... it is very un-natural.

It tows my wrangler just fine... I'd never even know it was back there if it weren't for the camera.

I'm wondering if that 5-Star tuner is worth looking at.... if for just the shifting part of the transmission... or the 6.5 mpg we seem to be getting...
Days Camped 74
Old 03-09-2016, 08:51 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceU View Post
Here's why 40 isn't good enough, "Road Hazard" and many levy fines for this, its just dangerous to maintain 40 with others 70-75 in a real world of limited access highways.

"Traffic operation and safety characteristics were analyzed in relation to the posting of the minimum speed limit of 40 mph on Florida rural interstate freeways. The operational analysis results showed that 57% of the recorded vehicles exceeded the maximum speed limit. In addition, while only 0.14% of recorded vehicles had speeds below the 40 mph posted minimum speed limit, safety analysis results revealed that 9% of crash-involved vehicles were estimated to have occurred at speeds below 40 mph. The over- involvement of slow moving vehicles in the crash data suggests that even a small proportion of vehicles traveling under 40 mph can have negative impacts on safety. Thus, regulation of vehicle speeds at the lower end of speed distribution is important. Further, the second-order crash risk model developed to estimate the crash risk of a vehicle on the freeway as the function of the deviation from the mean traffic speed indicated that the minimum risk occurred when the pre-crash driving speed is 8 mph above the mean speed, which is equvalent to the 85th percentile speed observed in the field."

That's what I was talking about.
I have seen a lot more trucks involved in accident exceeding the speed limit than I have creeping up a hill with their 4 ways on! If some asshat runs into the back of me going up a hill at 35-40 with my 4 ways on they are either drunk or asleep
Carmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 09:24 PM   #31

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceU View Post
Here's why 40 isn't good enough, "Road Hazard" and many levy fines for this, its just dangerous to maintain 40 with others 70-75 in a real world of limited access highways.

"Traffic operation and safety characteristics were analyzed in relation to the posting of the minimum speed limit of 40 mph on Florida rural interstate freeways. The operational analysis results showed that 57% of the recorded vehicles exceeded the maximum speed limit. In addition, while only 0.14% of recorded vehicles had speeds below the 40 mph posted minimum speed limit, safety analysis results revealed that 9% of crash-involved vehicles were estimated to have occurred at speeds below 40 mph. The over- involvement of slow moving vehicles in the crash data suggests that even a small proportion of vehicles traveling under 40 mph can have negative impacts on safety. Thus, regulation of vehicle speeds at the lower end of speed distribution is important. Further, the second-order crash risk model developed to estimate the crash risk of a vehicle on the freeway as the function of the deviation from the mean traffic speed indicated that the minimum risk occurred when the pre-crash driving speed is 8 mph above the mean speed, which is equvalent to the 85th percentile speed observed in the field."

That's what I was talking about.
I think this thread has gotten off the intended purpose. It was originally about climbing mountains, and a speed of 40 MPH on long, hard grades. I have been RVing over 40 years, and have seen my share of long grades.

The 85th percentile factor is basically used to determine speed limits on normal city streets and highways. It is definitely appropriate in those uses.

If you drive up ANY long, steep grades you will see any number of types of vehicles going slower than passenger vehicles. The key in this type of situation is to stay in the slow lane except when passing. If necessary, turn on you emergency flashers when legal (trucks do it all the time).

Happy Trails, Forrest
2011 Georgetown 378TS
2011 Ford Escape V-6 4X4
fbconsults is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mount, towing