Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-20-2014, 07:22 PM   #1

Flooring in RV

I just bought my first new motor home a month ago and love it so far even though I haven't got to use it much. It has white ceramic flooring and the groat is coming out between tiles and a lot of them are starting to lift up. Seems crazy for a new RV. Was wondering if anyone else has had problems with there flooring.
Cbretta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 08:01 PM   #2

With all the flexing a motor home does.If they installed the tile and grout with cheap materials it will happen.
Did you buy it new?
A good mortar should not let loose.Pop up a tile and see if it's glued or a mortar (cement base look)
Should use a epoxy grout .and A good mortar and this shouldn't of happened
Old 11-20-2014, 08:10 PM   #3

Nope, this should not be happening....

Rich
gasman94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 08:25 PM   #4

I did buy it new. I did talk to dealer and they told me that the whole floor would be redone. You would think that a $170,000.00 motor home wouldn't need a new floor before you get to use it. I have been camping for years now with a Fifth wheel trailer and this is my first Motor Home. Bad experience for first motor home.
Cbretta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 08:41 PM   #5

Sorry for your experience, but don't let it sour you on class a's. I've got a Berkshire and had a few issues when I got it. Same feeling, all this money and having problems....but Forest River stood behind everything and now I love the coach. Unfortunately, most coaches have problems the first year....kind of like cars in the 60's and 70's. Good luck and hang in there....

Rich
gasman94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 02:34 AM   #6

agree with everyone it should not be happening, but FR is great at taken care of issues and most issues will happen in the first yr. Sorry that it happened but once you get her back you'll love the MH over the fiver, we do!! Even your million dollar rigs have issues it's how the company stands behind what they make which makes the difference. Also having a great dealer helps in the overall experience.
&
Our Baby Dachshund
Cammie
ramair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 06:30 PM   #7

Hi I just bought a 2015 378xl and doing the pdi and see my grout is come out to did even used it het but its little things its my second one and we love it
hang in there
frank
borba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 02:36 PM   #8

on my stick house had some tile added in a walk way and the tile stores carried a grout in a silicone tube. It matched perfectly and it will never come loose because it a silicone type not a sand blend. Some installers use this around the edges so there is a give. Worth a try if its just the grout coming loose.
&
Our Baby Dachshund
Cammie
ramair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 08:15 PM   #9

thanks Ramair I will try that on mine my dealer is order the grout but I like your idea better because is silicone if I can matched its what I will used thanks

frank
borba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 08:31 PM   #10

If your talking about caulk with sand in it.It is not grout.It is made for small edges where you don't walk on it .
I been in the flooring business 25 years and been a manager of a flooring distributor.And never seen grout in a tube....
You use it on tile floors to keep water out of edges. (Like bath tubs)It does not last long either.
Epoxy grout is the best.
Old 11-22-2014, 10:16 PM   #11

Sand grout works fine for wall tile in showers or tub surrounds. But they are stationary and don't flex like an RV floor. Your RV floor is probably a plywood base and there is considerable flex in an RV frame and floor when going over uneven surfaces. I have wondered how the tile floors FR added since I bought my coach are holding up. I can feel some slight flex just walking in my coach but vinyl and carpet can handle that ok. If my coach had tile it would need additional underlayment.
BillMFl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 10:28 PM   #12

Unsanded grout and caulking is what you want for showers and tub surrounds.Since sand will hold water.
Sanded grout and caulking is made for wider grout joints and caulking.
Old 12-15-2014, 09:02 PM   #13

Our 378 2014 had some cracked tiles. Dealer was not able to match the tiles. FR approved an entire new floor. Dealer (LazyDays in Tampa, FL) did a great job replacing with the 2015 style tile. Very happy camper.
360true is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 11:05 AM   #14
Kanadian Kamper

This idea of installing tiles and grout on a gasser chassis as opposed to the frame underneath most diesels has scared me since they started upgrading some interior decors.

Anyone else noticed that gassers now offer tile instead of vinyl or carpet, and upper trim level gassers are offering residential refrigerators instead of propane/electric. All the same things that were once only available to diesel pushers because they usually entail a different level of camping/rv-ing.

Personally, considering this RV is brand new, I'd be making sure the local dealer is very experienced at installing this kind of flooring in an RV. Obviously someone in production at Forest River isn't as good as they thought given the number of gasser owners complaining of the same thing. A defect of this level should be done by the manufacturer, regardless of the costs they'll complain about in getting the Georgetown back to Goshen.

Their problem..........not the purchaser's.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 09:18 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramair View Post
on my stick house had some tile added in a walk way and the tile stores carried a grout in a silicone tube. It matched perfectly and it will never come loose because it a silicone type not a sand blend. Some installers use this around the edges so there is a give. Worth a try if its just the grout coming loose.

Ya I use a silicone based sanded grout from Lowes at home
recently. Very easy to work with and they have all the standard grout colors so matching was easy. I cut the tip fairly small and pushed rather than pulled the gun. Laid down a nice smooth bead.
Old 12-19-2014, 01:39 PM   #16

I agree with the expert above, the caulking tubes are for just that, caulking. There are some high performance pre-mixed urethane grouts that would be a much better choice. One brand is Quartz-Lock II. It remains flexible, is stain proof and sticks better than cheaper Acrylic pre-mixed grouts. Not an advertisement, just an endorsement and advice from someone who works with flooring every day. epoxy grout has good adhesion, but not as flexible, and harder to use.
I wouldn't be afraid to have a dealer arrange to have your tile replaced. a local tile setter can probably do a better job than a factory worker doing curtains one day, and tile the next.
akcampr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 04:39 PM   #17

Haha I'm no expert at anything. My walk in shower at home is 5'x7'. The foor tile is 4"x4" quartzite tile that is very varied in color and has a rough non-skid texture that we really like. The wall tile is 1'x1' natural stone that is often used on floors too. The joints are very thin and the stone has a somewhat porous texture and I didn't want mixed grout getting smeared on the surface. The silicone based sanded grout was sooo much easier to work with and by trimming the tube small and applying it carefully I had almost zero clean up! I was surprised that the feel, color and texture was virtually identical to the floor tile grout the contractor used. A year later it still looks like new so I'm hoping it lasts a long time. I remodeled my guest bath myself and used ceramic tile and grout that had to be mixed with water. It worked fine but required a lot of wiping down and was a lot more work. Ceramic tile has a smooth hard surface so the "haze" comes off even after drying but the raw stone has lots of small holes and a rough surface that I didn't want to mess up.
Old 02-02-2015, 09:51 PM   #18

We just purchased a 352QS and noticed the cracked grout joints and lifting grout from the tile joints after we got it home. It is currently at the dealer and has been for a week now. We had several other things, backup camera, broken wood in passenger side cargo area, cabinet the doors not able to shut. It seems most of this kind of stuff should have been caught by the dealer during PDI. They talk about the 200+ point inspection prior to delivery but, which 200 points? I'm not really complaining here. Mostly I wanted to ask if the dealer resetting the tile has worked well for everyone?
Jjouper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 10:23 PM   #19

The 200 point mystery is pretty normal... Our coach had all of the tiles replaced. Been living full-time on the tile for nearly six months. All good so far. Wish you equal success. FR has supported the coach very well.
Old 02-02-2015, 10:25 PM   #20

Our floor was completely replaced and has held up well. More than six months now. I agree on the mystery 200 point inspection.... Best of luck with your repairs.

Tags
flooring