Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-08-2011, 07:56 AM   #1

Flushing Tank Question

Picked up my new Georgetown 2011 378 last week and have a question on tank flushing procedure. After hookup to sewer I flush Black Water First, close valve, flush grey water, close valve. Then I attach hose to flush connection. Here is where I am a little lost. How long do I run this flush and do I just open the black water valve. Is this correct or is there a better way?

Jim
Homejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 08:10 AM   #2

Start by getting one of these, Amazon.com: Valterra T1023 90° Clearview Adapter: Industrial & Scientific or Amazon.com: Valterra T1026-1 45° Clearview Adapter with 3" Bay Lug: Industrial & Scientific

and you will know exactly for how long to flush the black tank. And yes only the black tank valve needs to be open.
frankm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 08:17 AM   #3
Site Team - Lou

Frank is right on. After using the clear elbow with our camper, I see why I was always in the penalty box for dumping the black tank when we used to rent a TT before we bought.

Without that adapter you don't even know if it is actually empty or if you have a blockage that is preventing a full dump. The idiot lights are NO HELP since they can indicate "full" for a LONG TIME after you dumped due to crud on the tank walls.

Always dump from Black FIRST (then turbo flush till it runs clear); THEN dump gray water. That way you get to flush out your hose with soapy water before you put it away.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 09:54 AM   #4

Thanks for the tips, I was not sure if Black tank should be open when flushing.
Old 07-08-2011, 10:57 AM   #5
Site Team - Lou

There is a big warning in the manual and several threads here about why it needs to be open during turbo flushing.

Old 07-10-2011, 09:07 AM   #6

HI Folks

Thanks for these hints. I followed the advice, bought a clear adapter and flushed with no problems.

Jim
Old 07-15-2011, 11:49 PM   #7

my black tank flush seems blocked

Has anyone else had a problem with the tank flush just backing up with pressure? Mine seems to be blocked with something, can only imagine what, and am not sure how to clean it.
Does anyone have any good suggestions of what to use to clean out the tanks?
Ron
Rongrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 06:26 AM   #8
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rongrice View Post
Has anyone else had a problem with the tank flush just backing up with pressure? Mine seems to be blocked with something, can only imagine what, and am not sure how to clean it.
Ron
Just about everyone here has had good luck using a product called RV-Digest-it made by Unique. RV-Digest-It.com - RV-Digest-It

I carry a quart with me at all times. Fill tank with water and a full quart; then wait 24-48 hours and a full dump. Repeat if needed.

Regular use of 2 capfuls of Liquid Calgon; a couple of gallons of flush water; and 2 capfuls of laundry detergent AFTER every dump will keep this from happening again.

Old 07-16-2011, 07:15 AM   #9

I assume you are talking about the tank flush that you hook your water hose to. Is there any water going into the tank...the tank flushes on the Georgetown's do pressurize and spit back at you when you disconnect the hose..Is this what you are talking about????
polkatronron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 11:48 AM   #10
Retired US Navy Diver

Lou, could you please give a little more detail. I like the sound of the RV Digest as it is environmentally friendly. So:

Do you use this product, RV Digest, as your regular tank usage treatment? Add a quart every time after black tank dump? Or just for when the system blocks/clogs up?

2 capfulls of Liquid Calgon and 2 capfulls of liquid laundry detergent. This is to prevent what? Smell? Blocks/clogs?

I buy the packages of the little plastic blue product that treats the sewage holding. Are you saying not to use these. Use the above methods? Thanks.
gktsuda1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 12:05 PM   #11
The Old Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rongrice View Post
Ron
I hate to say this and there are some other threads around here somewhere on this problem, but some people have reported in the past on such blockage problems on brand-new units.

After jumping through all the hoops it sometimes came to the point where the tank had to be completely disconnected and dropped to find the problem. I remember one poster who said that when the hole for the toilet was drilled out that the "disc" of plywood had dropped into the tank. It was probably close to quitting time and the worker who made that mistake conveniently forgot to fish the piece out of the tank. Well, that piece of wood blocked the drain and the whole tank wound up full of sludge and it was a nightmare of a mess.

I REALLY hope that isn't your problem, but on a brand new unit you should not have enough of a build-up to cause an almost complete blockage. The only way that might happen in normal usage is if you kept the valve open all the time. That's a no-no...you need to have a good amount of liquid in the tank at all times until it is drained. (And personally, I always add several gallons of water afterwards when the TT is not in use.)

Still to go: AK, NL, NT, NU, YT
Willis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 10:15 PM   #12

There is a check valve in the black tank flush line which can go bad that blocks incoming water. The are usually located inside in a cabinet behind a false wall.
2009 Ford Edge AWD Ltd towed
2011 Honda Fit Sport towed
ronhanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 10:26 PM   #13
Site Team - Lou

First of all this is not a problem; it is a feature.

It means your check valve is doing its job.

The check valve is located higher than the fill port in order to form an anti-siphon air block. It prevents water from the black tank from entering the hose you are flushing with and also prevents siphoning black water out of the tank when full.

When you flush the tank, water under pressure fills the hose all the way to the black tank. When you turn off the water, the check valve closes and the water trapped in the hose from the fill port to the check valve has no place to go, but back out the way it came in.

When you disconnect your flush hose, that water (under pressure from the faucet) gushes out. There is not much water (about 1-2 quarts) but it looks like a lot since it is under pressure.
Old 07-18-2011, 08:40 AM   #14

Some check valves will stick closed and not allow water back in from the hose when you reconnect to flush the tank the next time. The tank flush line then appears plugged and wont flush at all. This happened to mine and I needed to replace the check valve.

Similar thread on blakc tank flush plugging
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...gged-6350.html
2009 Ford Edge AWD Ltd towed
2011 Honda Fit Sport towed
ronhanson is offline   Reply With Quote