Old 03-24-2014, 10:38 AM   #21

Speaking of crushing things. I tore the main awning right off the coach.

Let me 'splain.

We finally made it to FL, but what a trip.

Friday: Got on the road on time, but shortly after being on the road the CB antenna (new addition) started flapping making all sorts of weird noise. Come to find out the top of it came off the hanger allowing the wind to whip it. On the next stop I secured it to the hanger with zip ties. Shortly after, the middle of it was doing the lambada so I ended up removing it for the entire trip.

Upon exiting the highway to fill up we heard this screech. As mentioned in an earlier post, the front grill came off and was hanging by a couple of screws. It could have been worse since the sharp edges could have cut into a hose or something.

Using our Rand McNally, or McCrappy when it came to this, we were getting close to our first stop in Ft. Boonesborough KY. The GPS took us through 9 miles of roads not fit for a Class A. Using ninja like driving moves we made it through. People along that road were looking at us like, what? So we finally made it to the park and half of it was closed. After driving around for a while the ranger hooked us up.

Saturday: No real issues for the exception of idiotic drivers thinking they have the right away entering the highway. I try to move over when possible, but in traffic is a real challenge, and most people think they don't have to speed up or slow down to get in. Oh, and DW tore off a bit of molding on the lower right side of the living room slide out. She extended the slide out with the vacuum blocking that corner.

Made it to High Falls State Park in GA and what a beautiful park it is.

Sunday: DW wanted to get on the road as early as possible because she misses her Mommy. My in-laws live in FL and she's a mommy's girl. So I get up and start putting things up and getting ready to leave. As usual, I do my walk around checking all of the compartment's doors, slide outs, levelers up, etc. We get on our way, still in the par, when we heard this loud bang. Come to find out I had left the awning extended and a light pole tore it right off. Thanks to the Eagle's scouts and their leader we were able to get everything disconnected and good to go. The funny thing is that there is zero damage to the coach. They are made to snap off leaving the main rails intact on the side of the coach. At least the Eagles scout's leader made us feel better when he said that with his 40' DP towing a truck he had left the parking brake on the toad for 60 miles.

We finally got on our way and hit a bit of bad weather in FL. It was raining so I set the cruise at 65 mph and got in the middle lane. There was a trucker tail gating me so I moved over to the slow lane to let him pass since they are not allowed on the left lane. He passed me and his second trailer came into our lane forcing us into the wash...I think that's what it is called. So we are hitting braille after braille and I could not get the coach back on the lane. It felt as if the front end was on the lane, but the rear end didn't want to come up and it felt as if it was sliding. I had to slow down to 50 to get it back on. That was scary! Don't know what happened to the trucker, but the only thing I can think of is that it was wind that pushed him into our lane. There are some areas on 75 where the tree line blocks the wind, and when there is a clearing it catches you off guard.

Well, we made it Hillsborough State Park and DW and the kids got to see Gma. We love this park. Oh, and we finally got to use the A/C.

Lessons learned: Remove the lower grill or beefy it up. Look up to make sure the awning is stowed. We are hoping to replace ours with one that comes down lower. Don't trust your RV GPS.

Things we noticed on this trip: The temperature control, engine A/C, does not work properly. If you move it just a little bit from full cold, it gets hot and then takes forever to get cold air again if you return it to fully cold. In other words, it does not regulate the temperature properly. Not sure if we have a problem, or if other ones are the same.

Bathroom counter top. The counter top's front is curvy. I don't have a camera to post a picture, but there is gap where the front molding is coming off on one of the curves.

With the 5 star tune we notice a pulsation under certain conditions. It seems like between 2k and 2.2k RPMs with speed of 50 - 60 MPH. Also, around 70 MPH if you push the throttle a little bit. Will have to contact Mike at 5 star to see if it can be corrected. We are reprograming back to stock for the return trip. With the tune the shifting is much better and it seems we gained .5 to 1 MPG.

Don't be afraid to post stupid things you have done while RV'ing. It will only make us feel better!!!

Old 03-24-2014, 11:09 AM   #22

Here is a pic of the countertop

Old 03-24-2014, 12:03 PM   #23

Wow! Glad there was not any severe damage to the coach during your "awning removal". Underscores the importance of always walking around the coach, look underneath, look up, look all around, before driving off.

As for the temp control - ours is the same way. When coming back from FL a couple weeks ago it was so humid, and the temp was dropping as we headed north. I wanted to leave the AC on to dehumidify the air, but didn't want cold air blowing on us, and I noticed too that it goes from cold to warm pretty quickly as you rotate the temp knob to the right.

-Mike
Buck & Patsy, the boston-mix guard dogs
43D18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 08:14 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by 43D18 View Post
Wow! Glad there was not any severe damage to the coach during your "awning removal". Underscores the importance of always walking around the coach, look underneath, look up, look all around, before driving off.

As for the temp control - ours is the same way. When coming back from FL a couple weeks ago it was so humid, and the temp was dropping as we headed north. I wanted to leave the AC on to dehumidify the air, but didn't want cold air blowing on us, and I noticed too that it goes from cold to warm pretty quickly as you rotate the temp knob to the right.

-Mike
I looked under the dash to see how the vacuum valves react to different positions and the temperature knob doesn't affect any of the valves under the dash. It must control a valve in the engine compartment. Probably a flap that opens/closes the air flow to the heater core. I'll have to look into it when I have time because it could be a faulty valve or a problem with a vacuum line.
Old 03-25-2014, 12:24 AM   #25
Happy Member

Al,

So sorry to hear (read) about all those incidents but glad everyone is safe.

It DOES happen to all of us. I had my share with all of our TT's and some with our new coach.
2013 FR GT 351DFS
GT4six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 08:51 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT4six View Post
Al,

So sorry to hear (read) about all those incidents but glad everyone is safe.

It DOES happen to all of us. I had my share with all of our TT's and some with our new coach.
Thanks. Yes, the most important thing is that we are all safe and having a good time. Only bad thing is that we don't have an awning, but our camping spot is very well covered by trees.
Old 03-26-2014, 07:19 AM   #27
2013 GEORGETOWN 351 DS

HI Everyone

I went to the shadepro web site and could not locate the product everyone is talking about. Does anyone have a part number or a link they can share.
2013 Nissan Sentra
RELHUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 09:44 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by RELHUB View Post
HI Everyone

I went to the shadepro web site and could not locate the product everyone is talking about. Does anyone have a part number or a link they can share.
Go back to the website and get the phone number and give them a call.
Kirby the Old Dog, passed but still in our hearts
Max E. Dog, the new pup
Eureka the Old Cat, still hangin' on
Lostdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 10:33 PM   #29

Ok all my351ds crew. We are preparing for our second trip tomorrow. I decide to go out to driveway to make sure I have everything inside. I make the sofa bed up with sheets, the bunks with sheets and then realize, "hum, maybe I should see of my full size sheets will for the dinette?" So I try putting the dang thing together and no matter how I try the cushions don't fit. Am I just being the blonde that I am, or is there some secret code or combination that allows them to fit together? I even looked at the manual. NOTHING!! Forest River really has me thinking I'm stupid at the moment. Advice plllleeeeaaassseee!
Old 03-27-2014, 11:07 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campingmomx4 View Post
Ok all my351ds crew. We are preparing for our second trip tomorrow. I decide to go out to driveway to make sure I have everything inside. I make the sofa bed up with sheets, the bunks with sheets and then realize, "hum, maybe I should see of my full size sheets will for the dinette?" So I try putting the dang thing together and no matter how I try the cushions don't fit. Am I just being the blonde that I am, or is there some secret code or combination that allows them to fit together? I even looked at the manual. NOTHING!! Forest River really has me thinking I'm stupid at the moment. Advice plllleeeeaaassseee!
It's not you - they indeed won't fit, in any combination, to create a flat bed. I actually asked our salesman to show me how to do it before we bought the coach. He couldn't do it...and assured me that FR would provide us with a cushion to fit the space to create a bed. I actually still need to follow up on this, and plan to do so soon. I understand some other folks have requested this from FR and rec'd a cushion for this purpose. Consult your dealer w/ assistance if you need.

Buck & Patsy, the boston-mix guard dogs
43D18 is offline   Reply With Quote