Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-18-2014, 08:14 PM   #1

For 351ds owners!

When trying to put out our awning for the first time this weekend, we realized it sits far too high. Is there an easier way to bring it down than manually re-positioning it. It seems very hard this way.
Campingmomx4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 12:14 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campingmomx4 View Post
When trying to put out our awning for the first time this weekend, we realized it sits far too high. Is there an easier way to bring it down than manually re-positioning it. It seems very hard this way.
no its the way it is.just pull it down and lock off black screw and it will stay. Just don't forget to loosen before putting it away. This is what we do on our 2012 378.i don't like it either but you will get more shade this way. hope this helps. Pete
petey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 06:15 AM   #3

Same here, way too high. I'm 5'11" and still need a step stool to adjust the knobs to bring it down a bit. We ended up buying a sunshade that clips on the awning channel.
Old 03-20-2014, 11:25 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by alparmmer View Post
Same here, way too high. I'm 5'11" and still need a step stool to adjust the knobs to bring it down a bit. We ended up buying a sunshade that clips on the awning channel.
We are shopping sun shades too. Does yours slide into the auxiliary track?
Buck & Patsy, the boston-mix guard dogs
43D18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 12:35 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 43D18 View Post
We are shopping sun shades too. Does yours slide into the auxiliary track?
Mike, yes it came with clips that slide into the track and the shade mounts to them with "S" hooks. You then anchor the bottom with stakes. We also have one that mounts to the sides in case you are in a spot where the sun hits that area in the afternoons.
Old 03-21-2014, 07:51 AM   #6

Quote:
Mike, yes it came with clips that slide into the track and the shade mounts to them with "S" hooks. You then anchor the bottom with stakes. We also have one that mounts to the sides in case you are in a spot where the sun hits that area in the afternoons.
We bought the "ShadePro" awning shade and are really pleased with it. The top half rolls up with the awning and the lower half is simple folded and put away when we have to move.
Kirby the Old Dog, passed but still in our hearts
Max E. Dog, the new pup
Eureka the Old Cat, still hangin' on
Lostdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 07:56 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostdog View Post
We bought the "ShadePro" awning shade and are really pleased with it. The top half rolls up with the awning and the lower half is simple folded and put away when we have to move.
Oh, those are nice. I foresee something happening to our clip on shade in the near future "Don't tell Mom"
Old 03-21-2014, 01:31 PM   #8
Happy Member

hmm, I like that Shadepro suggestion....I'm going to buy one....

(I agree - Don"t tell MOM)
2013 FR GT 351DFS
GT4six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 05:46 PM   #9

Well this mom says we need one ASAP!
Old 03-21-2014, 07:11 PM   #10
Happy Member

Don't tell DAD....and just order it!
2013 FR GT 351DFS
Old 03-21-2014, 07:40 PM   #11

I guess this is a good place to post this since it's 351 related. We are on our way to FL and currently at a State Park in KY. When we stopped to refuel I heard this loud screeching noise. Come to find out the lower front grill came off and was hanging by a few screws and dragging on the ground. Lesson learned...do not install your front license plate on the lower grill. The wind resistance it creates will tear off the lower grill.

Oh, and freaggin' Rand McNally took us through ~9 miles of roads way to small for RVs. Really, Really? It's supposed to be an RV GPS. Ended up with a few light scratches on the side from tree branches. It kinda sucked, but it was fun at the same time.

Oh, and when we got to the park our site was in a closed area. A really nice park ranger came over and hooked us up with a nice pull thru. I rewarded him with a few cold ones. Love the KY accent.
Old 03-21-2014, 08:10 PM   #12

Quote:
I guess this is a good place to post this since it's 351 related. We are on our way to FL and currently at a State Park in KY. When we stopped to refuel I heard this loud screeching noise. Come to find out the lower front grill came off and was hanging by a few screws and dragging on the ground. Lesson learned...do not install your front license plate on the lower grill. The wind resistance it creates will tear off the lower grill.

Oh, and freaggin' Rand McNally took us through ~9 miles of roads way to small for RVs. Really, Really? It's supposed to be an RV GPS. Ended up with a few light scratches on the side from tree branches. It kinda sucked, but it was fun at the same time.

Oh, and when we got to the park our site was in a closed area. A really nice park ranger came over and hooked us up with a nice pull thru. I rewarded him with a few cold ones. Love the KY accent.

No good at all! We went to an atv off road park last weekend and tore the thingie (not sure what it's called) off our hitch pulling in. My hubs said it was in a stupid place anyways. I guess with things that big, we are bound to have some damage from time to time.
Old 03-21-2014, 10:39 PM   #13

We bottomed out too after gassing up and I bent the trailer receptacle. They did mount that in a bad spot. I bought a replacement on Amazon for $7 and might have mine rewelded higher on the top of the tow bar.
ttincali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 07:34 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campingmomx4 View Post
No good at all! We went to an atv off road park last weekend and tore the thingie (not sure what it's called) off our hitch pulling in. My hubs said it was in a stupid place anyways. I guess with things that big, we are bound to have some damage from time to time.
You must be talking about the trailer receptacle plug. That was the first thing we tore off.

If you look at your lower grill it's half arse mounted anyway. A little bit of resistance and it come off. I'm going to try and figure out how to fix it.
Old 03-22-2014, 08:18 AM   #15

My first MH was a 1978 Georgia Boy. It had two half triangle bers welded to the frame just forward of the rear bumper that acted as skid plates and kept the rear end from dragging the ground on a steep incline. Strange they thought of that way back then but nothing these days seem to have them. Could have used something like that on my 98 Georgetown when I pulled half the rear cap off by dragging the rear end.

Charleston SC
1 Boston Terrier, 1 Frenchie, Two Siamese
Gonna miss you Toby, Sage, and Izzie. RIP
cjd10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 12:17 PM   #16

Quote:

I've seen lots of this kind of setup on my travels this winter. However, seems like every other day it's just windy enough that I don't feel comfortable leaving my awning out. Is it kind of a pain to remove the shade. Also, what do the shades cost?
Krazymace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 06:10 PM   #17

We bought ours off of ebay for ~60 bucks.
Old 03-22-2014, 10:31 PM   #18

Quote:
You must be talking about the trailer receptacle plug. That was the first thing we tore off.

If you look at your lower grill it's half arse mounted anyway. A little bit of resistance and it come off. I'm going to try and figure out how to fix it.
Ditto here.
The 7-way connector plug bit the dust about a month after we had our coach. Had it mounted higher and a big to the side. It is no longer the low-point in the back.

Also on the lower grill - the mesh material they used is really worthless, and as already mentioned, it is not secured adequately. Ours blew off while en route to Florida on our 3rd trip out last fall. I too wondered what the scraping noise was until I discovered what was left of it at a fuel stop. I would suggest removing it and asking your dealer to replace it with heavier material (like the material on the upper grill).
Buck & Patsy, the boston-mix guard dogs
43D18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 08:59 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by 43D18 View Post
Ditto here.
The 7-way connector plug bit the dust about a month after we had our coach. Had it mounted higher and a big to the side. It is no longer the low-point in the back.

Also on the lower grill - the mesh material they used is really worthless, and as already mentioned, it is not secured adequately. Ours blew off while en route to Florida on our 3rd trip out last fall. I too wondered what the scraping noise was until I discovered what was left of it at a fuel stop. I would suggest removing it and asking your dealer to replace it with heavier material (like the material on the upper grill).

So I guess my hubby doesn't get a time out then. Seems like a stupid place to put this thing. Our neighbor beside our business is a welder. I guess he could reattach.
Old 03-23-2014, 10:57 PM   #20
Happy Member

It happens to everyone....I still have mine crushed - I bought a replacement but still thinking where to place it...it won't go back on the same spot.
2013 FR GT 351DFS