Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-19-2013, 03:58 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray View Post
If Ford is acknowledging this then why doesn't Ford make it right to begin with. It irks me that we are buying defective equipment. This brings me back to the old adage (Fix Or Repair Daily) for Ford.
I asked the Ford Engineer that very question and the response made sense. They only make the "Stripped" chassis. This means anything could be put on the top of those frame rails (ie: flat bed, box truck, etc). They don't set it up specifically for MH customers. It would be up to the MH manufacturers to make the mod.
MGOBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 05:59 PM   #22

Thanks for that info - then the MH manufacturers need to get their act together. I understand it is not a big deal to fix, but we (as consumers) are paying $100,000 plus for a product that is supposed to be built correctly. The same thing goes where it has suggested that a new motorhome buyer needs to have the front end alignment done.

Before I retired I was a construction superintendent. If I built something that I obviously knew the owner's would have to modify something to get it right I would be fired very quick.
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 08:13 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfsoistman

Thanks for sharing the info. I haven't done the suspension modification but have added air springs all around. So far I've found it really helps with the rocking from passing trucks. I always have more pressure in the rear air springs than the front by about 15lbs.
I also have the four air bags and run 65in rear and 30 in front
Newellri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 11:05 AM   #24

I just purchased a 2007 Georgetown XL 378. Does this mod pertain to my unit?
mkaminski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 11:41 AM   #25
Kanadian Kamper

mkaminski

This topic has been going on forever. I suggest you review this link which is quite lengthy but involves all kinds of Ford chassis models and years,

Cheap Handling Fix - iRV2 Forums

crawl underneath your own rig to determine what position your suspension is in, and then decide if you really want to try out the proposal. Everyones' opinion varies, that's why it has gone on for as long as it has.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 09:49 AM   #26

Well I plan on doing the "cheap handling fix" as called on irv2.com forum, as soon as the damn snow melts and I get my rig in the driveway. My Georgetown ride on the 26K chassis is so much better than on my Allegro, however it is very susceptible to strong cross winds. The GT being a foot higher too probably adds to that.
Kia Sportage on MasterTow Dolly
sherman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 09:50 AM   #27

I modified my swaybars about 12,000 miles ago and it has made a substantial difference in the side to side motion. I have much less lean in sharp turns and the side wind makes less movement. large trucks passing at a great speed still moves you but a lot less.

It was worth the time to change to holes.
I also will keep my eyes open if this mod wears the bushing out more over time. Presently no big issues.

For Ford F53 chassis 1999 to 2011
Rear swaybar bushings (36mm) and bracket on eBay HERE
Front swaybar bushing (37mm) on eBay HERE
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote