Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-11-2013, 12:28 PM   #1

Ford Chassis Questions

Just FYI - I talked to an Engineer from the Ford Motorhome Division this morning about the F53 chassis. Here's some of the things he told me:
1. The suspension mod of moving the attachment points on the front and rear sway bars is recommended by Ford, but it will offer a more firm ride while adding some increased stability. The sway bars are designed to handle either hole location. Ford installs on the outer holes purely for ride comfort. Modifying to the inner holes will not impact the chassis warranty.
2. Ford Motorhome division phone # is: 800-444-3311
3. Ford recommends to all MH manufacturers to have 40% (front) and 60% (rear) on the UVW ratio. He told me that many consumers are getting their coaches weighed to find that the front axle is only getting 30% or less of the total UVW. To correct this some manufacturers are offering to install air bag helpers to level out the load. He suggest that if the MH manufacturers aren't going to do it, than the owners should if the ratio is not close. 40% on the front axle will help with tracking and stability.

Hope some may find this info useful.
MGOBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 12:40 PM   #2
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGOBlue View Post
Just FYI - I talked to an Engineer from the Ford Motorhome Division this morning about the F53 chassis. Here's some of the things he told me:
1. The suspension mod of moving the attachment points on the front and rear sway bars is recommended by Ford, but it will offer a more firm ride while adding some increased stability. The sway bars are designed to handle either hole location. Ford installs on the outer holes purely for ride comfort. Modifying to the inner holes will not impact the chassis warranty.
3. Ford recommends to all MH manufacturers to have 40% (front) and 60% (rear) on the UVW ratio. He told me that many consumers are getting their coaches weighed to find that the front axle is only getting 30% or less of the total UVW. To correct this some manufacturers are offering to install air bag helpers to level out the load. He suggest that if the MH manufacturers aren't going to do it, than the owners should if the ratio is not close. 40% on the front axle will help with tracking and stability.

Hope some may find this info useful.
Thanks for sharing the info. I haven't done the suspension modification but have added air springs all around. So far I've found it really helps with the rocking from passing trucks. I always have more pressure in the rear air springs than the front by about 15lbs.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 04:19 PM   #3

Great information MGOBlue especially that you spoke with a FORD REP.
I think many of us need to get our motorhomes weighed.
I have done the swaybar mod and running 100 psi in all my tires.

I would like to hear about weight distribution on other who have their motorhomes weighed at a scale.
I think it is worth the few bucks or whatever it costs.
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 04:41 PM   #4

I also talked to the National Rep at Cat Scale. For a MH, they charge $10 to give you weight by axle. It would be $10 for just MH or MH and toad. They have a website to location a scale (CAT Scale). They are mostly at truck stops. I'm getting mine weighed as soon as the spring hits.
Old 01-11-2013, 07:47 PM   #5
Graduate Member

Quote:
I also talked to the National Rep at Cat Scale. For a MH, they charge $10 to give you weight by axle. It would be $10 for just MH or MH and toad. They have a website to location a scale (CAT Scale). They are mostly at truck stops. I'm getting mine weighed as soon as the spring hits.
excellent tip!
2012 - 26 days

RoadTrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 02:00 PM   #6

Only one question, reading the conversation, is it listed correctly or did Ford not recommend the relocation of the sway bar? Just something in the wording indicates maybe the word, not, is omitted. Just asking.
Old 01-15-2013, 03:17 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by copsuno View Post
Only one question, reading the conversation, is it listed correctly or did Ford not recommend the relocation of the sway bar? Just something in the wording indicates maybe the word, not, is omitted. Just asking.

The suspension mod of moving the attachment points on the front and rear sway bars is recommended by Ford, but it will offer a more firm ride while adding some increased stability.
Old 01-15-2013, 08:18 PM   #8

I know that the iRV forum thread states that Ford DOES NOT recommend it. That's why I talked to Ford Motorhome group directly and they DO recommend it now.
Old 01-15-2013, 08:56 PM   #9

Quote:
I know that the iRV forum thread states that Ford DOES NOT recommend it. That's why I talked to Ford Motorhome group directly and they DO recommend it now.

I talked to an Engineer from the Ford Motorhome Division this morning about the F53 chassis. Here's some of the things he told me:

Call
Old 01-15-2013, 11:26 PM   #10

What is the torque of the attached bolt? Thanks
trell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:27 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by trell View Post
What is the torque of the attached bolt? Thanks
I think I saw something awhile back and someone said 75lbs.
But when I did it I tightened them with a breaker bar and positive they will not come loose.
If you feel you can do it I'd suggest some locktite thread fluid to make sure it will not loosen up.
Old 01-17-2013, 09:41 AM   #12

I plan on doing the "cheap handling fix" this spring as I find my 330TS very susceptible to strong cross winds. Iggy, was it hard to do? And also, do you lift the wheels off the ground with the jacks to take pressure off of the axle?
Kia Sportage on MasterTow Dolly
sherman12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 10:23 AM   #13

sherman12

No! DO NOT lift the motorhome but you need to be on a level area.
I used basic rachet and socket and open end wrench. If you have a breaker bar it will help. The bolts should come out easy but I had to use a little hammer on one without damaging.
After you are done I would spray the swaybar at the two rubber bushings with silicone lube spray or equal. That's so the swaybar moves freely in the rubber bushing.

It took me about an hour to do front and back.
I used a creaper and made sure they were tight with a breaker bar and using my legs to make sure they were tight.
I also checked a few times during and after a few trips to make sure nothing was loose.
Old 01-17-2013, 02:21 PM   #14

Glad Ford finally caught up to the ones of us that made the mod. I still have not done the rear ones yet, but there was such an improvement in handling when I did the front ones I was amazed.

The reason I did not get to the back ones was that when I went to do it I found the bolts on the torsion bars loose and missing. After that was fixed under the recall, I just never got around to it.

Thanks to Ford for making us all Legal. LOL.

Happy Trails, Forrest
2011 Georgetown 378TS
2011 Ford Escape V-6 4X4
fbconsults is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 03:01 PM   #15

Thanks Iggy!
Kia Sportage on MasterTow Dolly
sherman12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 07:31 PM   #16
E/SA DART

I weighed my se 303 last night total weight full of gas and water storage is 15,160 lbs rear weighs 9600 front weighs 5560 GCVWR is 26,000.
mopargilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 08:30 AM   #17

If Ford is acknowledging this then why doesn't Ford make it right to begin with. It irks me that we are buying defective equipment. This brings me back to the old adage (Fix Or Repair Daily) for Ford.
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 11:05 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray View Post
If Ford is acknowledging this then why doesn't Ford make it right to begin with. It irks me that we are buying defective equipment. This brings me back to the old adage (Fix Or Repair Daily) for Ford.
I really don't think that is the case. Any error that the Ford engineers would make is (and this is only just opinion) assuming that the owners of the F53 would prefer a soft, luxury ride vice a better handling machine. And I'm sure that there are folks that put more stock in the soft ride than in handling. Just like some folks prefer a Crown Victoria over a Mustang. I have no complaints about the Ford chassis, especially since I did the suspension mod. For a gasser I don't think it can be beat. Sure others will agree.
Kirby the Old Dog, passed but still in our hearts
Max E. Dog, the new pup
Eureka the Old Cat, still hangin' on
Lostdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 02:51 PM   #19

I will also stand up for Ford. My 2011 replaced a 2003 Itasca with a Workhorse Chassis. I cannot bad mouth either one. Both performed as advertised with no major malfunctions. The new Ford (14,500 miles) with the new trans is equal in performance and durability to the Workhorse with the Allison Trans (60,000 miles). The new Ford has more horsepower and torque and climbs hills faster. Both get pretty dismal fuel mileage, 6-8 MPG. Not good for a car, but not bad for a condo. But I knew that going in.

I will give Ford credit for changing their opinion about the modification, and now are recommending it. BTW, I have not noticed any difference in the ride quality, only the huge improvement in handling.

Happy Trails, Forrest
2011 Georgetown 378TS
2011 Ford Escape V-6 4X4
fbconsults is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 03:52 PM   #20
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
sherman12

No! DO NOT lift the motorhome but you need to be on a level area.
I used basic rachet and socket and open end wrench. If you have a breaker bar it will help. The bolts should come out easy but I had to use a little hammer on one without damaging.
After you are done I would spray the swaybar at the two rubber bushings with silicone lube spray or equal. That's so the swaybar moves freely in the rubber bushing.

It took me about an hour to do front and back.
I used a creaper and made sure they were tight with a breaker bar and using my legs to make sure they were tight.
I also checked a few times during and after a few trips to make sure nothing was loose.
Iggy, did you use the existing links or did you replace them with longer ones? I know there was some concern over the length of the links when you make the move.
awwall is offline   Reply With Quote