Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-31-2016, 02:15 PM   #21

Another thing!

I am all new to this and now I am not so sure what to do now?

Another thing, why all the mods to the Motorhome to keep it on the road in strong winds and when 18 wheelers pass?

Why isn't this done @ the factory during the build?

Why is this not offered as an option @ lest?

Guess I am just too stupid to understand why someone would pay $100.00+ and then have to throw money into something to keep it on the road?

Sounds like the luck of the draw in how good of a build you get from the factory?
lars36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 02:52 PM   #22

Repairs

1 windshield and 1 refrigerator brain was beyond my skill set. But I agree.
kentdavido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 06:09 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by lars36 View Post
I am all new to this and now I am not so sure what to do now?

Another thing, why all the mods to the Motorhome to keep it on the road in strong winds and when 18 wheelers pass?

Why isn't this done @ the factory during the build?

Why is this not offered as an option @ lest?

Guess I am just too stupid to understand why someone would pay $100.00+ and then have to throw money into something to keep it on the road?

Sounds like the luck of the draw in how good of a build you get from the factory?
We have a new 364 and have done no changes and the wife and I both drive.. I will say we usually only go about 63-64 MPH and have no problem.. We realize we are driving a big box and movement will happen in the wind
Old 07-31-2016, 07:09 PM   #24

I also have been looking @ the Fleetwood Bounder, went to there forums, found a litany of problems on brand new rigs. Time to bring in the Japanese and have a better build?
Old 07-31-2016, 07:18 PM   #25

Forest River and Repairs

The experience is ALL about the dealer. ALL motor homes will have issues. We have had some minor issues but they were addressed without any problems at all. You may get a slightly better price at a "big box" volume dealer but once you leave the lot they will forget you. Pay a little more at smaller "mom and pop" and they'll usually bend over backwards to keep you as a customer for future business and depend on word of mouth referrals. Alpin Haus in upstate NY has been absolutely top notch for any issue I bring to their attention and I can just about guarantee when we decide to upgrade at some point in the future, we will be buying from them again (not quite mom and pop but small enough to at least make you feel like they value your business). They actually delivered the RV to my home because it took them two extra days to fix something, so to save me the inconvenience of altering my schedule, they brought it to me! Unfortunately customer service is a lost art at most places so until they give me a reason to chance my mind, Alpin Haus is the place for me.....
Melvinson404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 07:56 PM   #26

Just maybe...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvinson404 View Post
The experience is ALL about the dealer. ALL motor homes will have issues. We have had some minor issues but they were addressed without any problems at all. You may get a slightly better price at a "big box" volume dealer but once you leave the lot they will forget you. Pay a little more at smaller "mom and pop" and they'll usually bend over backwards to keep you as a customer for future business and depend on word of mouth referrals. Alpin Haus in upstate NY has been absolutely top notch for any issue I bring to their attention and I can just about guarantee when we decide to upgrade at some point in the future, we will be buying from them again (not quite mom and pop but small enough to at least make you feel like they value your business). They actually delivered the RV to my home because it took them two extra days to fix something, so to save me the inconvenience of altering my schedule, they brought it to me! Unfortunately customer service is a lost art at most places so until they give me a reason to chance my mind, Alpin Haus is the place for me.....
Maybe I'm just not getting it. If you build a quality rig going out the door, less hassle for everyone. Who wants their rig in the shop for months @ a time. Does NO one any good! But I guess when your getting $100,000+ and you only get a 1 year warranty I guess these companys don't really care? Would love to know the ratio of happy out the door to the ones who have multiple problems with their rig. Some of these companys have been in business for 20 to 30 years or more, they should know how to build a quality rig by now don't you think. Or maybe I am getting it, they just don't care??
Old 07-31-2016, 08:50 PM   #27

After reading a whole lot of threads like this one, I've come to three conclusions:
1. Don't buy the extended service plan! Put that amount of money in the bank, and pay for the major repairs yourself...if there are any.
2. Do the ones you can do on your own. With some medium-level DIY skills, you can do the CHF, steering stabilizer, front and rear anti-sway bars, track-bar and Sumo Springs yourself. There are lots of other repairs, mods and upgrades you can do on the coach and chassis. Use this Forum for advice. The folks on this site are just like you and me and love helping each other!
3. After your initial one year warranty, for those things you can't do yourself, use an independent RV repair shop. (Look around first and check on customer satisfaction via the Web.) They usually have competitive prices and a high degree of incentive to get you done quickly. That's how they make their money. And, they try to do their best to solve issues correctly in order to maintain repeat customers. Go out of your way to be as nice as you can with a local shop and build a relationship. For example, we have chickens, so I always take a dozen fresh eggs for the guy who got me done satisfactorily. Also, a kind word can go a long way.
Old 07-31-2016, 11:14 PM   #28
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by lars36 View Post
Time to bring in the Japanese and have a better build?
I wonder what the betting odds are on that ever happening.
Million to one?

Why would they even consider doing that?

American-style RVs have no place in Japan. So there's no home market except for popups.

Import and shipping costs would eat up any profit they would make.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 11:39 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentdavido View Post
1 windshield and 1 refrigerator brain was beyond my skill set. But I agree.

I highly recommend deans Rv for service repairs! ( not sure where your taking it, this is where I've had the best service ) if it's Daves Rv, that's the problem!

2013 Georgetown XL 350
Bunkhouse
2002 F250 4X4 CC
2012 Jeep Liberty
Dijoeboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 12:08 AM   #30

Customer service these days has really changed, I believe after the recession companies had to cut staff in order to survive, unfortunately most haven't added staff to accommodate the new business which causes the employees to all feel over worked and underpaid. This translates to people that really just don't care about us the end customers!

I've had to literally hold my service guys hands and stay in touch with them weekly for updates on parts for my coach. Fortunately they are little items that don't prevent me from taking it out on trips, I have been waiting for about 3 months for replacement cabin doors that had small creases in them upon delivery.

My windshield is being replaced due to several rock chips at delivery, and the biggest issue now is the whole generator AC issue, however I'm working on that myself for now.
Old 08-01-2016, 03:30 AM   #31

Not always a choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvinson404 View Post
You assume there is a "mom and pop" dealer available in the area. Given the way FR sells certain models to different dealers - this is not always the case. Certainly not in Atlanta. The one dealer in Atlanta (fairly large dealer with multiple locations) that sold the model of MH we wanted - quoted me full retail price, two weeks after I sent them a completed order form. The dealer we purchased from in Grand Rapids, MI - was $35K less than full retail and got back to me with a phone call and quote within two hours of first online contact. Who would you have gone with?

Glad you have a great dealer in your area. Our market is considerably different.
KatanaPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 08:32 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentdavido View Post
Well we're just being driven crazy. Our brand-new 2016 Georgetown 364 TS that we purchased June 15, 2016 has been sitting at the dealership for three weeks now. The repair vendors have screwed this up. Frigidaire and the windshield people. Refrigerator needs a new brain, and now we must have a new windshield. While rig sits there payments for the motorhome and storage is due. Summer is slipping by and the kids start school on August 18th. Tell me how you've been able to make things move more quickly. I would've thought it would be faster considering it's brand-new. I haven't even been able to get it out to do the suspension handling changes I want to make. I think we're never going to drive again only make payments. Yikes
Sorry, I'm just now getting on this thread... Kentdavido, I feel your pain. We took delivery of ours 6/11 and with the exception of 1 week around the 4th of July, it has been at the dealership for repairs. In fact, it is back at the factory in IN right now.

Reading through this thread, I generally agree with what folks are saying -- the dealers are swamped, the customer service is poor at best, and the quality of RV's coming out of the factories is declining. That said, it is about patience and picking your battles - some fights are necessary, others are better to handle yourself. In the end, you'll always have something not perfect, but as long as you enjoy the RV and your time in it, it is worth it.
NCCoachMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 10:15 AM   #33

I alway get an extended warranty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince and Charlette View Post
After reading a whole lot of threads like this one, I've come to three conclusions:
1. Don't buy the extended service plan! Put that amount of money in the bank, and pay for the major repairs yourself...if there are any.
2. Do the ones you can do on your own. With some medium-level DIY skills, you can do the CHF, steering stabilizer, front and rear anti-sway bars, track-bar and Sumo Springs yourself. There are lots of other repairs, mods and upgrades you can do on the coach and chassis. Use this Forum for advice. The folks on this site are just like you and me and love helping each other!
3. After your initial one year warranty, for those things you can't do yourself, use an independent RV repair shop. (Look around first and check on customer satisfaction via the Web.) They usually have competitive prices and a high degree of incentive to get you done quickly. That's how they make their money. And, they try to do their best to solve issues correctly in order to maintain repeat customers. Go out of your way to be as nice as you can with a local shop and build a relationship. For example, we have chickens, so I always take a dozen fresh eggs for the guy who got me done satisfactorily. Also, a kind word can go a long way.
I always get at least a reasonable length extended warranty. They are not terrible expensive particularly on new rigs. And it's kind of like auto insurance. You hope you never need it but it helps with those really possibilities like a failed transmission, engine AC pump or frige or furnace.
hikerjohn7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 12:22 PM   #34

Repairs

Thanks for all the advice and information. I had a great conversation with Forest River directly minutes ago. They admitted the issues with Frigidaire and have quit using their product and have switched to LG. They switched not because of product failures, but because of service issues with their service contractors. I appreciated their discussion and they are following up with the dealership to make sure we would be getting our rig back this week. We'll see. But, I appreciated their call.
Old 08-02-2016, 07:55 AM   #35

This doesn't work with Camping World.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
RV dealers are very busy this time of year and things never go as fast as you want them to or they should. Not right, but the way it is. It seems like the diagnosing and ordering part of the repair process is the one that usually holds things up. If at all possible on dealer repairs, I always recommend taking to the dealer get diagnosis and have parts ordered, then take it back and use it while you wait for parts. Once parts arrive schedule a repair date and return it. Call dealer on a regular basis, ask for confirmation/proof that parts are on order. If you are told parts are on back order call OEM and verify. If you are handy at all, you may be able to do the fridge control board your self it you really want to get out.
That's exactly what I suggested / requested at Sirpilla / CW. They said if you take your unit off their lot, you get pushed back to the end of the entire process. BS.
Old 08-02-2016, 04:12 PM   #36

Hi. I have a 364TS that we purchased new in April 2015. not sure what your problem is with the windshield but we found we had a leak on the drivers side top. I took the unit back to my dealer just before the warranty was up and FR sent out a whole new seal and covered the labor. I had a couple of minor other issues (nothing to really complain about) and FR has been really great. it did take a couple of weeks to get the seal in but I was still able to use the rv. Congrats on your motorhome, we love ours. Regards
rollin with the rudgies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 11:50 AM   #37

Repairs

Our windshield had a chip that expanded to a small spider web. We noticed the chip as soon as we applied RainX for the big adventure. Plus when it rained on the big adventure it leaked in 3 places. Forest River is replacing the windsheld and seal. I promise to stop complaining and we're very grateful. All I want is to get the rig out of the shop and enjoy it.
Old 08-04-2016, 01:11 PM   #38

I hope you get on the road soon :-)
rollin with the rudgies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 08:05 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatanaPilot View Post
You assume there is a "mom and pop" dealer available in the area. Given the way FR sells certain models to different dealers - this is not always the case. Certainly not in Atlanta. The one dealer in Atlanta (fairly large dealer with multiple locations) that sold the model of MH we wanted - quoted me full retail price, two weeks after I sent them a completed order form. The dealer we purchased from in Grand Rapids, MI - was $35K less than full retail and got back to me with a phone call and quote within two hours of first online contact. Who would you have gone with?

Glad you have a great dealer in your area. Our market is considerably different.

It's still about 1.5-2 hours away but "local" enough......
Melvinson404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 12:42 PM   #40
Georgia Gets Around

I will say if you can make it to the international rally in Goshen you get amazing service - I am so impressed with how they have been so helpful. I am looking forward to meeting my rep this week so I can shake his hand and thank him for all his help.

I always email my requests and am very specific and include a picture if applicable. Include your vin number and contact info. I have always gotten a response to those types of issues. I can also pull up and review responses and check timeliness and resend the same request if neccessary.

I was at the service plant this week and heard all the phone calls coming in - trust me, an email is better.

Our first year was frustrating and we've had some unexpected issues this year but we just keep rolling and looking for the best fixes. Sometimes that is a mobile guy, sometimes it is the dealer, sometimes it is a shop in the middle of nowhere and sometimes it is the factory. ;-)

Tags
forest river, repair, repairs