Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 04-28-2012, 12:08 PM   #41

I'm on my second Georgetown my first unit was a used one, my second is a 2012 378ts minor problems but for the price you can't beat. When u buy a rv you need to know something about plumbing and electric work.
Old 04-28-2012, 12:24 PM   #42

I have owned a tent, pop-up, pull trailer, 2 fifth wheels and now a Georgetown 360RB. I had problems with every one of them except the tent. I love this Georgetown for all her problems. If you are looking for "perfect" good luck. Or, buy a tent.
Old 04-28-2012, 12:41 PM   #43

In regards to Chinese tires on 5er's I had them on two Montana's and a blow out on 192 just out St. Cloud, fl. Took it straight to Glenn's tires Melbourne, had them put all new US made tires, told them to throw the Chinese crap in the dumpster. When I bought the Georgetown I had the salesman on the ground reading tire codes to make sure they were US made.
Old 04-28-2012, 01:16 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookside

really... you looked at their construction in detail? crawled under them? removed the cabinets? examined the welds?

I did look at them close. I can only speak for the flagstaffs and rockwoods because that is the factory that I went too. I suppose quality could be different at another factory. I saw the whole building process, from only a frame to the end result and I was impressed. They didn't try to hide anything. In my research you can't find a better product in the price range. Yes you may have issues. If you do you get it fixed. FR even offers a 2 year warranty that is cheap to buy. Just my opinion but I'm confident in my purchase.
Equalizer 4-Point Sway 12000# & Tekonsha P3
Old 04-28-2012, 01:26 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclepuck View Post
I know forest river makes different brands but do they come down the same line from the same factory? Asking because when I researched for tt in our price range with what we wanted we ended up with the puma because they had better reviews than most but I see quite a few complaints about forest river.

Nope - they have several lines produced across the country under various names
Old 04-28-2012, 01:31 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbrackney View Post
I did look at them close. I can only speak for the flagstaffs and rockwoods because that is the factory that I went too. I suppose quality could be different at another factory. I saw the whole building process, from only a frame to the end result and I was impressed. They didn't try to hide anything. In my research you can't find a better product in the price range. Yes you may have issues. If you do you get it fixed. FR even offers a 2 year warranty that is cheap to buy. Just my opinion but I'm confident in my purchase.
I'm not confident in their warranty whatsoever. The rv dealer network is as shifty as they come. Would sooner trust a used car salesman to do brain surgery
Old 04-28-2012, 01:47 PM   #47

I think Berkshire Hathaway is a smart outfit, which is interested in managing sustainable businesses on a long-term basis. The recent failure of so many RV manufacturers and dealers certainly sends the stark message that dissatisfied customers will not return and will tell their sad stories to other prospective buyers. I think this forum is evidence that FR at least wants to improve their products and to satisfy customers, but sometimes these improvements come slowly and with great effort. Some employees just can't get the message and will have to go, but that can't be done overnight. I'm willing to wait and see.
Old 04-28-2012, 05:43 PM   #48

Would be great to find out which factories were duds - my Cherokee looks like it was assembled by a blind two year old. Would also be great to understand why the workmanship is at so many times so atrocious - is it bad employees? High turnover of employees? Bad managers? Lack of quality control?

At this stage in the game I would be willing to bet someone will set up a factory in china and churn out rvs for our market here. The quality standards are so low and people (this thread is a great example ) are already apparently happily conditioned to accept poor workmanship - that a product from china would probably exceed most peopled expectations
Old 04-28-2012, 05:49 PM   #49

Send a message via Skype™ to Falcon35
I had a tour of the Georgetown plant in on April 3/12 and liked what I saw.
I have had some problems but most of them were fixed at Forest River while I was there.Two parts that they did have are being shipped to the dealer to be installed by them. Most of out problems were on suppliers equipment. New Fridge, Microwave, part of the instrument panel, new screen door and toilet. The parts that are still to come are a new arm for the couch and a new kitchen table. There were also some small adjustments and they did a complete PD check that the dealer should have done.
Forest River treated us very well while we were there and did their best to fix all our problems. Our first stop after leaving Elkhart our Lippert steps (out side supplier) sheered of the main shoulder bolt so that needs to be replaced when I go back to the dealer for the other parts.
On my first fifth wheel we had many more items that did not work and and the manufacturer had me go to an independent shop to get it fixed. It was a much more simple unit then the Georgetown. My second fifth was almost problem free and had only one problem that was promptly looked after by the dealer. That manufacture is no longer in business. And the dealer only sells trailers and fifth wheels or I would have bought from him again.
Protect-A-Tow
Old 04-28-2012, 05:50 PM   #50
Mod free 5er

Haven't seen the bad quality in our 2 Flagstaffs. You cannot expect cabinets, flooring, plumbing, appliances etc to be the same as you have in your home. If it were, you would need a Peterbilt tractor to tow it. Workmanship has been good in both of our Flagstaffs. Much better than the brands we've had over the last 36 yrs. They are lite weight trailers and use light weight materials.
Old 04-28-2012, 06:25 PM   #51

If you Google any brand of RV from popup to diesel pusher you will find crappy work and problems. All things that are mechanical must be fine tuned and that goes for any RV. I have a friend who recently boughta $650,000 Monaco that he had custom made in Oregon and has been wait for it for 2 months as it sits in yard at Monaco. Why you ask?
Because the main computer that monitors all systems and makes things work is non-existant. The company went belly up and now they have like 9 or 10 Signature model waiting for a new brain. Now you tell me when my friend picks it up will he have problems. A big YEP! So what do you get for $650,000 compared to a $149,000 Georgetown? A larger monthly payment and still have problems.
Old 04-28-2012, 08:13 PM   #52
Mod free 5er

Maybe someone should sell his camper and go into business building campers that are only top quality units with no defects. I would be interested in one if it will not overload my 1/2T Chevy and still give me the room I have with my Flagstaff 5ver.

Think it is time to close this thread as the "bad mouthing" FR has filled this bucket to the brim.
Old 04-28-2012, 08:24 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookside

really... you looked at their construction in detail? crawled under them? removed the cabinets? examined the welds?

No, you did, we took your word for it and bought one....
Old 04-28-2012, 08:34 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunnnc View Post
Maybe someone should sell his camper and go into business building campers that are only top quality units with no defects. I would be interested in one if it will not overload my 1/2T Chevy and still give me the room I have with my Flagstaff 5ver.

Think it is time to close this thread as the "bad mouthing" FR has filled this bucket to the brim.

Its possible but everyone will need a diesel dually to pull the new and improved trailrts/ 5th wheels. 16,000 lbs will be alight one.
Ford 450 and 550 will be a big seller
Old 04-28-2012, 09:38 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunnnc View Post

Where is the bad mouthing? Everyone is being extremely civil and raising valid concerns about their coaches and both sides have reasonable representation.

Why do you want it closed? To hide what people have experienced (both bad and good)?
Old 04-28-2012, 10:43 PM   #56

"really... you looked at their construction in detail? crawled under them? removed the cabinets? examined the welds?"
===============================================
Yes, brookside, as a matter of fact I did.
If you want a really well-made unit, check out the Triple E motor homes. They are a bit more costly, but far better quality than anything made in "camper alley".
They are built in Canada, not too far from where I live. And like most things built in Canada, they are built with pride and attention to quality.
Old 04-28-2012, 11:05 PM   #57

I think all manufacturers have their problems and issues when it comes to manufacturing, warranty, etc., heck look at the auto industry.
In the end we purchase what we feel will suit our individual needs for a price we can afford and hope we did not buy a lemon, since you can find lemons in everything from appliances, computers, cars, trailers, class A motor homes, and the list goes on. Some problems are the fault of the manufacturer, some are the fault of the vendors who supply the manufacturer with parts. You can't blame Forest River for everything and I am not saying they should not be responsible either or that they don't have their problems, as I went through my own hell with them with our unit, however, we like our unit and the reason we bought it was in comparison with other manufacturers out there, the Georgetown offered the best value for the price, we felt for what we could afford. If we had to do it again we would probably do the same and go with the Georgetown again. If we could have afforded more our dream coach is an Entegra coach, but chances are, probably would have had some sort of problems with that too, since nothing is perfect. So as long as Forest River or any other company repairs what is wrong and stands behind their product that's all we can ask for as a consumer and in the end if we are still not satisfied we sell and buy from another manufacturer and roll the ball and hope for the best again.
That's the way I see it.
Old 04-28-2012, 11:53 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocus View Post
"really... you looked at their construction in detail? crawled under them? removed the cabinets? examined the welds?"
===============================================
Yes, brookside, as a matter of fact I did.
If you want a really well-made unit, check out the Triple E motor homes. They are a bit more costly, but far better quality than anything made in "camper alley".
They are built in Canada, not too far from where I live. And like most things built in Canada, they are built with pride and attention to quality.
My parents spent $63K plus tax on a 34 foot Triple E 5th wheel and they still had to take it back to the dealership 2 times to get the slide adjusted and a new seal on the slide. Maybe a better built unit but not without their problems too.
2012 Dodge Ram 1500 4X4 CC Outdoorsman
Old 04-28-2012, 11:57 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve7575
Great idea. I'll build a product with flaws, get someone else to sell it, then blame the seller or the buyer when something goes wrong. Hey, with that thought, I could also run for public office.
Can't wait till they start building tt in japan i'll be first in line sick and tired junk and dealers that lie to you.
Old 04-29-2012, 02:24 AM   #60
Site Team - Lou

Well, I could not sleep and had to read this entire thread at 3 AM.
Man, what a buzz kill.

If everyone is done venting their spleen, can we put this one to bed, so to speak? I doubt opinions will change and before things get out of hand I am going to close this thread down.

Everyone just go camping this weekend.
Closed Thread