Old 03-28-2016, 08:09 PM   #1
Fort wilderness

It won't be my first trip in my 364TS, but booked my first trip for fort wilderness in September. My wife homeschools our kids so I figured I might as well take advantage of the schedule for less people.

Going with a premium site and plan to rent a golf cart for us to get around the campground as I hear it's quite large. Any other tips or suggestions?

Will be our first time to Disney World for us and the 4 kids...

JLud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 08:14 PM   #2
We'll be there December 10. We also home-school so the week before the Christmas crowds is what we're shooting for.

Golf cart is great. Expensive but great to have. Call exactly six months before your trip to reserve Hoop-de-Doo revue. Also expensive but worth it. Especially for a first time trip.

2015 F350 6.7L Lariat CC LB
2016 Vengeance Touring Edition 40D12

Former Forest River Campers:
2004 Puma 30FQSS
2010 Sabre 31QBDS
2014 Work & Play 30WRS
KFX450RXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 08:17 PM   #3
It's a beautiful campground. Definitely need a golf cart or your bikes, if you plan to use the Disney transport. You are not allowed to drive your vehicle anywhere in the fort but out and to your campsite.

Make sure that you see the electrical parade on the lake. It's pretty cool.

If you have pets, make sure to reserve a dog friendly loop.

All sites are back-in and the loops are one way so you will have an audience more than likely.

You can't beat the boat to the Magic Kingdom. Loved it.
Kelly and Stephen with Daisy, Lily, and Roxy!

Run Free Sweet Riley 2009-2015

Visit our blog for more information and details!
Kels4g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 09:24 PM   #4
If you're not into the swimming pools, then you can get by without a golf cart. There's auto parking at the entrance to the campground and you can walk from there to the bus station. From the bus station you can go anywhere in fort wilderness (as long is it's a bus stop) and get transport to the other resorts. You're just stuck with the bus schedules.
toolman_57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 09:42 PM   #5
I read about a golf cart place nearby that is 75% cheaper than Disney that drops them out front for you, so going to try that route.

Thanks for the tip on her hoopdee thing....I have my confirmation number so they said I can start pre booking now. Didn't buy tickets yet waiting for the deals....

I was going to leave the dog behind....not sure I wanted the worry and extra work of having him along, or taking him but boarding down there a few days. Well behaved German shepherd.

Lots of good suggestions so thank you. Not worried backing in actually....compared to my 35' travel trailer toy hauler this 364 is a piece of cake. Mirrors you can actually see something useful in and a camera too. Only backed into 2 sites so far and no pressure...I'm sure game time will add some fun
JLud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 10:29 PM   #6
Originally Posted by JLud View Post
I read about a golf cart place nearby that is 75% cheaper than Disney that drops them out front for you, so going to try that route.

That's not quite accurate. There are no 3rd party golf cart vendors who are allowed on Disney property any longer. However, you can go offsite and pick it up/drop it off.

That said, it *IS* much cheaper. I'm not sure about 75% cheaper, but cheaper. Contact Kenny at Tee Time Golf Carts.
2013 Sabre 36QBOK pulled by a 2012 Ram 3500 DRW
Blogs: Learn to RV & Personal Fulltiming Adventure
Towing Calculators: Towing Planner
ependydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 05:33 AM   #7
Also check out Fort Fiends web site, a lot of good info and people there with LOT'S of Disney knowledge. Forums - Fort Fiends
dblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 07:12 AM   #8
We were there about 10 years ago and have reservations to go again the end of November. The Hoop-De-Doo is a must.
2014 Georgetown 351DS

Charleston SC
3 Boston Terriers, 1 Frenchie
Gonna miss you Toby. RIP
cjd10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 03:06 PM   #9
You don't need a golf cart to do the Fort, unless you just want to joyride.
vjstangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 03:33 PM   #10
Awesome! We just left in Feb and will be back in July, Halloween, Thanksgiving & New Years.

A golf is great for looping. A lot for friendly campers to meet. As mentioned the Hoop De Doo is good and depending if you have small kids the back yard BBQ. You can also take in an out door movie and marshmallow roast.

Sept is a great time. The Fort isn't very crowded. You'll have room to move around if you visit the pool. The upgraded spot is well worth the extra cost in my opinion.

Happy Camping

Mr. G

2015 Forest River Georgetown 351DS

MrGrmpy is offline   Reply With Quote