Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-06-2016, 10:11 AM   #1

Forward bathroom heat 364TS

So does anyone else have trouble with no heat in the forward bathroom and hall.. We had the dealer look at it and they said the cure was to turn up the heaters to 90 and it would put out enough heat.. In 3 hours of doing this they burnt up a half tank of propane.. They also said those vents were at the end of a run.. Our old MH had a 30 foot run and had plenty of heat but this one only is 20 feet.. I can get light air flow if I plug off all other vents in the forward heat system
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	heat duct #2.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	407.4 KB
ID:	104076  
Old 04-06-2016, 10:17 AM   #2

I know you have an issue with low heat in the bathroom but I can not believe you used us half a tank of propane in 3 hours. How cold was it outside?
I bet the temp was really low outside as propane has issues at extreme cold and it stays liquid and doesn't give off much gas at that low temps.
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 11:28 AM   #3

I think he said the dealer had the heat cranked to 90 degrees, that would burn up a half a tank in three hours. Two furnaces at 90!!

The big question is - does any other 364TS (with two furnaces) have this same issue. Is it a design flaw, furnace underpowered; or is it unique to this guys coach
RVCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 11:37 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVCrazy View Post
I think he said the dealer had the heat cranked to 90 degrees, that would burn up a half a tank in three hours. Two furnaces at 90!!

The big question is - does any other 364TS (with two furnaces) have this same issue. Is it a design flaw, furnace underpowered; or is it unique to this guys coach
You are correct it was the dealer with both furnaces running at 90 degrees.. I personally thinking the front furnace is to small or needs a stronger blower.. I am wondering if anyone else has noticed no air flow at these two vents.. I realize some folks live in areas where they probably never or seldom use the heater but in Montana it is a must..
Old 04-06-2016, 02:43 PM   #5

I have the same issue and I believe all other 364TS do as well.

It is a design issue so we need to come up with a new solution that doesn't favor basement heat like the current one does.
Modmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 03:21 PM   #6

I am ready for any suggestions.. Like I said if I plug all other vents I can get some flow but I thing an assist fan is the only option and I would do it If I could find a way to wire it to come on with the heater.. They make assists fans for 4 inch ducting in a house.. But they also make them for boats such as this: Robot Check or this one; http://www.amazon.com/Attwood-Quiet-...1ZRRCD928DKYDC
Old 04-06-2016, 03:30 PM   #7
Happily Retired Member

My 378 has the same issue with no heat in the bathroom. When it is cold I leave the bathroom door open at night. The heat vent in the bath has a really small ductwork. It runs off the bedroom furnace. A very small air flow can be felt, but very small.

2013 Ford Escape on Landgrebe tow dolly
Mickeystamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 03:34 PM   #8

Same issue here as well....little to no flow in forward bath.
2016 364TS
Daroyaci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 04:02 PM   #9

Forest River has a problem then.. I believe that the forward furnace should of been bigger for the 364 and the 378 needs a bigger furnace in the back or they need a more powerful fan for both.. They should monitor this site and have some recalls or send us updated parts with instructions
Old 04-06-2016, 04:08 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modmike View Post
I have the same issue and I believe all other 364TS do as well.

It is a design issue so we need to come up with a new solution that doesn't favor basement heat like the current one does.
Mike I even put a tennis ball on a wooden rod and sat it over the vent opening in the bay with the water tank.. Then I plugged the tube going under the frig and then I taped over the two vents in the sink cabinet and still only got a very small amount of air out of the bathroom and hall vents.. It is sad.. Thats right also the black insulation around the duct pipe along the frame was full of water for an added bonus.. If it wasnt for this issue, the front grill falling out and the back bed bounce it would be perfect.. I think we paid to much to have to put up with these issues.. And who would of checked these items on pre-delivery
Old 04-06-2016, 05:01 PM   #11

I actually did, only because you told me!

I understand you are frustrated but getting mad will not push them to do anything. I plan to pull it apart and see if I can re-engineer it, my buddy is a civil engineer who has a ton of HVAC experience.

I don't think this project requires those credentials but I am curious to see what he says. Unfortunately I am at least 3 weeks away from even looking at it.
Old 04-06-2016, 05:13 PM   #12
toolman_57

So...here's the repair order for heat in the bathroom. Before I took delivery after repairs I did turn on the heater to see if there is any airflow--it's MUCH better now. Here's the write up...

C/S NO AIR FLOW FROM FURNACE VENT IN THE FRONT BATHROOM
FOUND EXCESS 2" HOT AIR SUPPLY DUCT ROUTED UNDER SHOWER PAN.
EXCESS HAS BEEN TURNED 180 DEGREES SEVERAL TIMES.PER FURN
ACE MFG,EVERY 90 DEG = 10' ADDED TO LENGTH OF DUCT AND A GER
AT REDUCTION IN AIR FLOW.
TOOK PICS FOR WARRANTY.RAN FRONT FURNACE TO VERIFY COMPLAINT
FOUND VERY LITTLE AIR FLOW @ BATHROOM FURNACE VENT.REMOVED
ACCESS COVER/CAP @ SHOWER PAN TO INSPECT DUCTWORK.FOUND 5'
OF EXCESS DUCT WRAPPED/COILED UNDER SHOWER PAN ATTACHED TO
BATHROOM'S VENT.REMOVED VENT COVER,THEN REMOVED VENT.PULLED
EXCESS DUCT THROUGH VENT HOLE AND CUT TO PROPER LENGTH.RE-
ATTACHED TO VENT AND RE-INSTALLED IN PAN, AND RE-INSTALLED
VENT COVER/GRILLE.FOUND AIR FLOW IMPROVED, BUT DUE TO THE
DESIGN AND PLACEMENT OF 4" X 2" TEE (MOUNTED THROUGH FLOOR-
UNDER SHOWER PAN) THIS IS AS GOOD AS CAN BE OBTAINED WITHOUT
RE-DESIGNING SUPPLY DUCT ROUTING.
COMPLETE.
FV APPRVED .80
toolman_57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 05:19 PM   #13

I am having the same issue with my 364. I'll be adding this to the punch list of post delivery "tweaks".....
Melvinson404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 05:26 PM   #14
toolman_57

Note that I also used duct tape to block part of the flow to the front two vents and the vent across from the bunk. The spinning part of the vents just pulls out and you can tape from the back side. ...and I also blocked the flow inside the water tank compartment. The combo effect results in air flow in the bathroom.
Old 04-06-2016, 08:27 PM   #15

The rear bathroom gets toasty but the forward one is freezing. They didn't think through the heating system. There is also a "cold zone" by the dinette. There is no blower in that area but two right next to each other by the couch blowing directly in your face if you're sitting there watching the kitchen TV.....
Melvinson404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 09:23 PM   #16

The rear bathroom is ridiculous, sauna in the bathroom and cold in the master. Needs to be flipped around somehow.
Old 04-06-2016, 10:05 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvinson404 View Post
The rear bathroom gets toasty but the forward one is freezing. They didn't think through the heating system. There is also a "cold zone" by the dinette. There is no blower in that area but two right next to each other by the couch blowing directly in your face if you're sitting there watching the kitchen TV.....
That is exactly the way ours is.. Now we need to put our expertise together and figure out a solution.. I think we are on our own with this problem.. We love the coach but this is the thorn in our side
Old 04-06-2016, 11:15 PM   #18
toolman_57

We carry a 1500 watt space heater (rotates and fans the air up and down) with us and usually place it against the wall that separates the front bathroom and the dining area. Because of the wiring (all non-inverter outlets are on one circuit), you can only run one 1500 watt space heater--don't ask me how I know this. Of course this doesn't help if you're not hooked up to power or running the generator. We also use the heat strips quite a bit to save on the propane. I'll move the heater towards the front door so that the intake of the front AC unit pulls in the heat and mixes it with the heat strip. The ceiling vents are all tied together so both heat strips running with the space heater seems to keep things pretty warm as long as the outside temp stays above 45 degrees F.
Old 05-03-2016, 11:23 AM   #19

Well we went camping this last weekend for trip #7 since early November purchase.. Anyway the repair on the furnace works perfect with lots of heat now.. We are happy and hopefully FR can figure it out also but if not try the fix we used

Tags
roo