Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-11-2010, 02:20 PM   #1
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Found 2 wires under my 370TS

While under my Georgetown today checking things out I came across 2 wires hanging down next the water heater compartment. One White and one Red w/Black Stripe with no wire nuts or anything on the end. They looked like they were just snipped off. When I got out and opened the Propane compartment door I saw that these wire run behind a metal shiled that the gas pipe is connected to. I tested them and they was no reading. I decided to turn on the Curbside compartment lights and Bingo there was current. I guess at one time they planned to put a light in the Propane area and changed their minds. For the time being I'm just going to screw a wire nut on them but I'd like to know if anyone with a Georgetown does have a light in that compartment? I'm thinking about adding one with a switch inside the water pump area so if I ever need light out there I'll have it.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 04:04 PM   #2

No light in my propane compartment although there is one under the steps for the batteries.
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 05:19 PM   #3

I would assume that there is no light in the propane tank compartment because in the event there is a leak and if you went to investigate and turned on the light, the spark created by turning the switch on could ignite the propane. The results could be disastrous.

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 05:52 PM   #4
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmmar View Post
I would assume that there is no light in the propane tank compartment because in the event there is a leak and if you went to investigate and turned on the light, the spark created by turning the switch on could ignite the propane. The results could be disastrous.
That was my thought also but bare wires just hanging sure didn't make much sense. The only way these wires are live is when I turn on the switch inside the motorhome.
Oh well, just wondering if anyone had a light.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Old 08-20-2010, 08:59 PM   #5

I Have a 2010 Gergetown and it does not appear to have lights in any compatments. I guess this is how they meet their price points goal in ways that the purchaser will not notice till after the purchase has finalized. I find a lot of little things that I would take for granted have been omited in the process of skimping. I am sure I will one day have the coach upgraded to the point that it should have been from the factory but by then I'll be at the Itasca Meridian price point. LOL
Lloyd
starburst2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 11:41 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by starburst2 View Post
I Have a 2010 Gergetown and it does not appear to have lights in any compatments. I guess this is how they meet their price points goal in ways that the purchaser will not notice till after the purchase has finalized. I find a lot of little things that I would take for granted have been omited in the process of skimping. I am sure I will one day have the coach upgraded to the point that it should have been from the factory but by then I'll be at the Itasca Meridian price point. LOL
Lloyd
Are you positive you don't have compartment lights? They don't come on automatically. Inside the entry door there should be a bunch of switches. there may be a panel with just two switches above the rest, they are to turn on the driver/passenger side compartment lights.
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 12:08 AM   #7

I'll check again and let you know. Thanks for the info.
Lloyd
Old 09-25-2010, 11:26 PM   #8

Hi NW Jeeper
I was over at the repair shop and had a look into the compartments. There are no light s in any of them. Seems strange. Another mod I'll have to undertake. Wow, that makes for quite a few at the top of my priority list.
Lloyd
Old 09-27-2010, 07:18 AM   #9

Quote:
Hi NW Jeeper
I was over at the repair shop and had a look into the compartments. There are no light s in any of them. Seems strange. Another mod I'll have to undertake. Wow, that makes for quite a few at the top of my priority list.
Lloyd
I bought stick up tap on 3 LED lights for all my compartments on E-Bay. $2 per light $24 total. If I leave them on the only battery I drain is the one in the light. They work great and provide enought light for each compartment.
LED Peel n Stick on Tap Light Adhesive As on Seen TV !! - eBay (item 350398206091 end time Oct-26-10 18:09:02 PDT)

Hope this helps.
Old 09-27-2010, 10:00 AM   #10

My 09 350TS only came with 1 light in the large compartment next to the door. Cost cutting on Forest River's part for sure. I used the LED lights in the other compartments like bresdogsr.
2009 Ford Edge AWD Ltd towed
2011 Honda Fit Sport towed
ronhanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 03:31 PM   #11

Hi Ron and Bresdogsr
I like the suggested solution you guys offered. Peel and stick LED's! Do they throw enough light to find stuff like the right tool etc. in the bays at night? Are they available at other than EBay? What about Wally World? I have a propensity forget and leave lights on especially when using the light at twilight when it is not so notable that they are on. Do these LED lights that you used have replaceable batteries?
Lloyd
Old 09-27-2010, 04:07 PM   #12

You could install a contact switch so when the door is opened the light will come on. Then you would not have to worry about turning off the light and running the battery down.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 07:38 PM   #13

Caper, how do you connect a contact switch up to those peel and stick LED's or are you referring to regular lights?
Lloyd
Old 09-27-2010, 08:04 PM   #14
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Quote:
Caper, how do you connect a contact switch up to those peel and stick LED's or are you referring to regular lights?
Lloyd
I'm sure he's referring to the regular lights. On my Georgetown I have a light in every compartment including the trunk and under the hood. They are controlled by two switches. Unfortunately they all come on if you turn on the 2 switches. Forget to turn them off and you have 13 lights on. I like the idea of a switch to turn on the individual compartment light instead of 6 or 7 others being on at the same time.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Old 09-27-2010, 08:19 PM   #15

I mean regular lights.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 09:06 PM   #16

Quote:
Hi Ron and Bresdogsr
I like the suggested solution you guys offered. Peel and stick LED's! Do they throw enough light to find stuff like the right tool etc. in the bays at night? Are they available at other than EBay? What about Wally World? I have a propensity forget and leave lights on especially when using the light at twilight when it is not so notable that they are on. Do these LED lights that you used have replaceable batteries?
Lloyd
I find that they provide enough light. For $2 each if not put 2 in a bay. I have one in each bay and it is fine. Each unit is 3 LED's powered by 3 AAA batteries. I have seen pucks with more LED's as well, but more $. Meritline.com had some. Wal-Mart has them but they are $6 per one. Hope this helps you.
Old 09-29-2010, 10:47 PM   #17

Thanks everyone for the info and feedback. I don't understand why NW Jeeper and CFSoistman ended up getting lights in their storage bays yet most of the rest of us did not. That is strange. Something like lighted storage bays seems to me like it should be a standard feature, not something you have to add after the fact.
Lloyd
Old 09-30-2010, 06:30 AM   #18
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Quote:
Thanks everyone for the info and feedback. I don't understand why NW Jeeper and CFSoistman ended up getting lights in their storage bays yet most of the rest of us did not. That is strange. Something like lighted storage bays seems to me like it should be a standard feature, not something you have to add after the fact.
Lloyd
It could be something they dropped after 2009? When we bought our 2007 Georgetown, they offered an XL-Package which included a bunch of additional items. I don't recall what was included but I know the spare tire was offered as well. The arctic pack was listed as a Forced Option, meaning you're getting it whether you want it or not. I thought option meant you had a choice? I have the XL-Package info at home. I'll look it up and see what was included in that package.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Old 09-30-2010, 10:14 AM   #19

In the model refresh mid 2009 the XL package went away. The base model got many of the XL package options as standard but they trimmed some to keep the base price competitive and made some straight up options. The lights are one example of this.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf georgetown2008.pdf (2.70 MB, 47 views)
File Type: pdf georgetown2009.pdf (3.97 MB, 28 views)
2009 Ford Edge AWD Ltd towed
2011 Honda Fit Sport towed
ronhanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 04:09 PM   #20

WoW...I feel really fortunate...I have a 2003 325 and it has lights EVERYWHERE! Each compartment, each closet...I just took it for granted that they were standard equipment...

"NOT ALL WHO WANDER ARE LOST"

Nights camped in 2011: 108
Nights camped in 2012: 41
piscesman is offline   Reply With Quote