Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-25-2018, 10:31 AM   #1

Found out I am prewired for 2nd air conditioner

I have a GT3 30x3 without the 50amp (2 air conditioner) package. I recently found out that I am prewired for the 2nd air conditioner. Pulled the vent in the bedroom and physically viewed the wires. Knowing this, I'd like to put in the exact model that comes with the package in. Can any of you other 30x3 owners tell me the make and model of the bedroom air conditioner in your units?

I will be upgrading my electrical service so I can use both, except when on generator.

Much appreciated.
Old 08-25-2018, 01:33 PM   #2

while there is some dismay from many due to erroneous assumptions, you CAN run two air conditioners on 30amp service, especially if both are the 13.5kw size, as both together would run at only about 20-25 amps, leaving more room for other uses as well.

I don't know that you'd really want to consider changing your coach to 50amp service, since that would not only require rewiring to a larger 50amp shore power cord, and ATS that is sized for 50amp, and a main Breaker Panel with a Double-pole 50amp set of main breakers - this is a 'split' system of two 50amp 'hot lines', versus your current single 'hot line' of 30amps. This means the breaker box has to be the type that can split the two lines to TWO separate set of breakers.

It's doable, but it would have been a lot easier, and cheaper!, from the factory.

I imagine that your rear(second) AC unit would be the same model and size as the first one. You will also need the separate thermostat to control it, with figuring out how to get the thermostat wires to the AC, though that could be part of the 'pre-wire' you mentioned.
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 01:34 PM   #3
Senior Member - Retired

At the risk of "raining on your parade" are you sure you are prewired for an A/C unit and not prewired for 12 volts to add a fan in the vent? Most of the Forest River Class A's I have seen that DO NOT come from the factory with a second A/C unit in the bedroom have a white rectangular plastic plate installed on the ceiling near where an A/C unit could be installed. The plate is basically a blank plastic switch box cover. When the plate is removed there is a junction box with wires running to the MH electrical panel. When installing the A/C unit it is wired via the junction box. There should also be a small gauge wire in the junction box to support a wall mounted thermostat.

Hopefully I am wrong about your specific unit and you can throw this post in the trash
Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar, base plates, diode kit
SMI Stay-IN-Play Duo auxiliary braking system
25' Off shore blue water fishing boat
CA Fisherman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 01:47 PM   #4

I'm in agreement, as I don't see the factory giving you an 'option' of a second AC unit, if the RV is not wired for 50amps... but that's just my assumption...I'm probably wrong again(ask my wife)... : )
They may be assuming that you could add a 2nd unit, and run them both on 30amps(what a thought!), or run them back-and-forth as needed, if not.

I wish mine was pre-wired for a ceiling fan.... I should start looking!
Old 08-25-2018, 02:32 PM   #5

Those are good call outs and I need to trace the wire into the breaker panel, but what leads me to believe it's for the AC is I was at the rally last week and was talking with the guy on the factory tour and he said that when they wire they would use the same harness whether it was 2 AC or one, which makes sense and is why I went and checked. The other reason I don't suspect a fan is that I have yet to see a GT3 with a wired fan back there or it's close cousin the FR3 with one.

The other thing I was thinking (assuming it is wired for AC), is to run a second plug into the panel that would use the 20Amp plug at the pedestal. I've seen many posts about folks doing that.

I agree, getting it from the factory already done is preferred. I keep kicking myself that I didn't. On the same factory tour, they said they aren't even building them without the 2nd AC any longer.
Old 08-25-2018, 03:35 PM   #6

not a bad idea on the wiring to an outside 20amp outlet, though you would be bypassing your own breaker box, and therefore not have access to running that ac unit if you find a campground or rv park with only the 30amp outlet.... many are this way. Just a thought. I suppose you could also just plug it into one of your own RV outlets and run both from the 30amp shore power : ) ... another way to 'skin a cat' : )
Old 08-25-2018, 06:21 PM   #7

tell us what the wire looks like. If it's 2 individual black and white wires it's 12 volts. if it is a romex, yellow in color with 3 wires inside its 20 amp 120 volts. If it's white it's 15 amp 120 volts. As an electrician, I would wiremold across the ceiling to a closet and run down inside and out the bottom of the rig and use an extension cord to the ped and plug into the 20 amp outlet.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 07:37 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
tell us what the wire looks like. If it's 2 individual black and white wires it's 12 volts. if it is a romex, yellow in color with 3 wires inside its 20 amp 120 volts. If it's white it's 15 amp 120 volts. As an electrician, I would wiremold across the ceiling to a closet and run down inside and out the bottom of the rig and use an extension cord to the ped and plug into the 20 amp outlet.
It's the 2 black and 2 white wires. Looks like I'll be running my own. I found several good posts on the process. Are most 2nd air conditioners ducted or ductless? Thanks for all the feedback.
Old 08-26-2018, 07:41 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbareford View Post
It's the 2 black and 2 white wires. Looks like I'll be running my own. I found several good posts on the process. Are most 2nd air conditioners ducted or ductless? Thanks for all the feedback.
If they came with the rig they can be ducted. In your case, straight downdraft is best. Temp controls will be on the unit.
Old 08-26-2018, 07:48 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by formerFR View Post
I'm in agreement, as I don't see the factory giving you an 'option' of a second AC unit, if the RV is not wired for 50amps... but that's just my assumption...I'm probably wrong again(ask my wife)... : )
They may be assuming that you could add a 2nd unit, and run them both on 30amps(what a thought!), or run them back-and-forth as needed, if not.

I wish mine was pre-wired for a ceiling fan.... I should start looking!
I just installed a ceiling hugger form HD in my 5er. 120 volt. I mounted it close to the AC. I tapped off the AC circuit. I can run the fan with or without the AC.

If you do this be sure your slide will clear it. You may have to leave off the light kit. There is a blank cover for that. I left mine on. All is good.
Old 08-29-2018, 12:53 PM   #11

Went the second air route

I had the second air added by taking the front 13500 air to the back and a new 15000 put in front. A new line added across ceiling unnoticeable. Gen unit updated to handle both and 30 amp converted to 50 amp
BOBVF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 01:14 PM   #12

Did you duct both of yours?
Old 08-30-2018, 09:05 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbareford View Post
Did you duct both of yours?
Have you located the other end of the romex? Does it terminate by your breaker panel?
Old 08-30-2018, 10:19 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclinton View Post
Have you located the other end of the romex? Does it terminate by your breaker panel?
He doesn't have romex. He has 2 blacks and 2 whites. single wires. 12 volts.

Why don't spell checkers know the word Romex?

Tags
air conditioner