Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-22-2012, 09:58 AM   #21

One of the senior techs at Lippert said the day before yesterday "there is no problem with the system and it only leaks if the resevoir is too full". My response was "BS" as I watched it leak, noticed my resevoir was low on fluid, added a full litre of ATF, and was still within the markings in the dipstick, so even with a low fluid level it leaks.

Sooooo, no idea how to get this addressed. Their position is that the resevoir is not under pressure therefore there is no way for it to leak.

I'm still figuring out too many other things on the unit to worry about this one yet but mayby some type of screw on neck extender to raise the hieght of the cap a few inches.....
SinkorSwim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 10:12 AM   #22

thats discouraging when tech says it does not leak, i'm in Ga but i'm not beyound driving it to factory, i can stand there an watch it leak. on first operation it may not leak,but if you have to operate a second time it leaks, what happens is that sponge in filler cap gets saturated an thats when the leaking occurs ... i'll look into your idea , maybe i can find something around home depot to raise the cap up,some type of an extender, thank you for your responds, i'll let you know if i come up with something .. maybe i can help you with other issues, we're coming to end of first year of ownership on 2012, 378 . only had a few minor problems to this point ......
SEAYALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 10:28 AM   #23

Thanks Harley - will take you up on the offer I'm sure.

Not really having any problems yet(other than the slider issue, where we are field testing some new parts installed yesterday). Mostly just crawling around everything to figure out where everything is and getting things set up the way I want. The FR manuals are utter crap seems like they switch suppliers out all the time and the wiring is all over the place with inline fuses all over the place. Just trying to figure it all out. Compiling a list of all the model/serial #/warranty durations for the equipment on the coach took me almost two days cause of course the manuals don't tell you what model actually got installed on the coach.

Installed a shut off valve on the fresh water tank drain so I can bleed off fresh water without having to screw the drain cap back on while its still flowing and take a face full of water. Installed a hardwired surge protector, Maxxair vent covers, lower shower head, siliconed fireplace glass, tacked in rubber shelf lining yadda yadda yadda. This could become a full time job

Very happy with everything but thinking I should go apply for a customer service/documentation job with Forest River cause wow could they make this a lot easier for owners with not that much work.
SinkorSwim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 10:52 AM   #24

lol welcome to motor homing ... understand getting to know your new girl friend .. yes FR could very simply do a video of your model just showing where they put things, would be big help .... shut off on fresh water drain good idea, think i'll do that , learn something new everyday ... like you i like to know where everything is so when i do have a problem there will be know surprises,just decisions .. liquor store first or tool box ... have fun ....
Old 03-23-2012, 03:20 PM   #25

I wonder if we should actually over fill the reservoir as to reduce the splashing and lessen the leaking..

I might as well buy some more ATF fluid anyway since were all having leaks...

What brand ATF does FR recommend?
SoMoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 04:02 PM   #26
win

Being in the hydraulic industry for 30 some odd years, there maybe some things to look at
1 The reservoir is to small for the displacement of the total system, have you replaced the the power unit recently?
2 The breather on the oil reservoir is not meant to contain oil, breathers job is to allow the tank to breath as your jacks go down or up or the slid goes in and out
3 Reservoirs normally should be filled to 80% -20% is allowed for thermal expansion
win is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 04:27 PM   #27

Very interesting. We have had the same leakage problem with our left front jack.

Days camped in 2014 - a bunch!
tomnhenri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 04:30 PM   #28

An so it goes, i just had a nice long talk with LCI tech support in IN. Nice people, i told them there's forums out there an i'm not the only one with reservoir filler cap leaking from underneath threads. i explain the whole deal, how i can retract levelers an watch cap leap about a teaspoon every time, my bottle is filled just like it should be etc, doesn't matter .. they don't seem to understand the deal, sponge in cap gets saturated an that's when leak occurs, so i got a reference # from them an going to dealer april 2 , what someone needs to do if close by to manufacture is take it to THEM so they can see, i think bottle is too small, or neck not long enough that's all that's going to stop this, an my front two levers come down on there own after sitting a few days so we're thinking an internal valve on them is bad, but there going to tell dealer what checks to preform when i get there, so we're trying an i appreciate that .... i don't like drips...
Old 03-23-2012, 04:41 PM   #29
win

Sounds like they under estimated the system oil capacity and under sized the reservoir
win is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 07:33 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoMoney View Post
I own a 2010 Georgetown 320DS and this Video shows what I believe to be a DESIGN FLAW in this system or a bad reservoir cap. I took the breather cap apart, cleaned the sponge, and put it back together with the same result so I believe it to be the former.

As you can see in the film with the jack retract hydraulic fluid is returned to the reservoir at high speed, hits the back, and curls it way hitting the cap HEAD ON. The result is lost hydraulic fluid EVERY TIME THE JACKS RETRACT.

The Fluid level is right at the full mark when sliders are in and jacks up so I've let you deside what your seeing here...

Very good, try sending that video to LCI, i have talked with them an dealer tech to no resolve, so i took sponge out of cap, try that, you can hear an enormous amount of air coming out of cap, an i have no leaks after operating everything 4-5 times ... thinking i solved the problem.
Old 03-28-2012, 11:04 AM   #31

Hydraulic Leak

Removing "cap filter" removes all chance of filtering incoming air (and dirt) during jack/slide deployment. Whats needed is a substitute media which will filter the trash ffrom inrushing air and save the hyraulic system. Same time less pressure drop across the filter will result in no fluid leaving the tank.
This cap is close to the dirty, dusty surface below. Just parking can create invisable clouds.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 04:55 PM   #32

point well taken... just no action out there ... thanks
Old 03-28-2012, 08:38 PM   #33

Think you're on the right track, and proved reduced air flow resistance = no outflow. Maybe Lippert would now help knowing this new proven info give them new direction. This ain't no 1 micron filter but hey have means to test pressure drop across different filter material. I gotta believe lots of owners have questioned/complained.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 07:43 PM   #34

I have the same problem with my 2012 George town 378,glad I found this post,mine is leaking from cap.I have used my coach 4 days ,been in shop 4 days.Had rear air replace,and slide repair,got home and found fluid leak. problem # 12 on my list for a month old coach.
manvel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 11:23 PM   #35

Here is a picture of my 2012 tank. It looks as if the cap is different.
Is this cap like the ones that are leaking?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tank.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	12809  
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 07:15 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
Here is a picture of my 2012 tank. It looks as if the cap is different.
Is this cap like the ones that are leaking?

Hey Iggy
good pic... when you took the picture was the cap screwed down tight ? sounds dumb i know, but looks like it sits higher than mine if it is....
thanks
Old 04-26-2012, 07:25 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by manvel View Post
I have the same problem with my 2012 George town 378,glad I found this post,mine is leaking from cap.I have used my coach 4 days ,been in shop 4 days.Had rear air replace,and slide repair,got home and found fluid leak. problem # 12 on my list for a month old coach.

Manvel
Been following your adventures, we have same rig, it just sounds to me your dealer did a lousy job of prep, when dealers get these things theres a good 4-5 day prep time an lots for them to do , they don't come from manufacture ready to roll .... we have had very few adjustments on ours, just keep on it, don't get discouraged, watch everything an get it right back to dealer, you'll get to the end of it an things will be as they should .. the reservoir leak, please keep us all informed, as this appears to be a engineering problem from LCI
Thanks
Old 04-26-2012, 10:22 AM   #38

I added about a 2" extension,the sponge in mine was soaked with fluid.Ran main slide and fluid went up about 1 half inch in extension.Used a part i had in my shop,bought at Home Depot,it was used to connect to water hose type threads which is what the cap has. Put o-ring on male end.
manvel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 10:37 AM   #39

do you have a pic before you put it in tank ? thanks
Old 04-26-2012, 02:24 PM   #40

Pictures
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HPIM2661.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	12831