Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-26-2012, 02:32 PM   #41

Wow, looks like Manvel may have found a solution if not a improvement! The cap in Iggys note is down tight, see orange tabs just above oring.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 02:52 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by manvel View Post
Pictures

interesting .. thank you very much for the picture ...
SEAYALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 02:54 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceU View Post
Wow, looks like Manvel may have found a solution if not a improvement! The cap in Iggys note is down tight, see orange tabs just above oring.
then it would appear to be a differnt cap than mine.. i thought his looked like it sat up alittle higher.. thanks
Old 04-26-2012, 05:04 PM   #44

picture
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HPIM2658.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	42.1 KB
ID:	12836  
manvel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 06:47 PM   #45

that's what its going to take, believe your on to something ... i know i'm wearing you out .. so the o-ring is just setting there, i'll take a trip to home depot see what i can come up with, thanks ..
Old 04-26-2012, 08:35 PM   #46

I push the o-ring down , did not leak,need to put tape around pipe above o-ring so that it fit tight against tank.
manvel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 09:35 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by manvel View Post
I push the o-ring down , did not leak,need to put tape around pipe above o-ring so that it fit tight against tank.
I also have a 2012 Georgetown 378. Never had the serious leak but have had some dripping. I think the worst case is when the leveling jacks are all retracted at the same time (auto mode). Thats lots of volume quickly. If 2" isn't enough, surely a short secured hose with the vent and filter at the top would do it. That's often how tanks are vented to prevent "burping". Good find sir.
Old 04-30-2012, 04:53 PM   #48

Measured tank from Lippert (Parker Hannifin) to hose connections today with a dial caliper. Seems hose threads are .062" -1/16" larger in diameter and pitch appears different. Hose is GHT standard 11.5 Threads per inch. The cap for hyd tank seems like 12TPI. Bottom line is male hose is larger than the tank opeing and may split it forcing a hose thread in. The cap inserts easily into female hose fittings, very close to size for size and would "strip" easily. Cannot ID the tank threads, oh yes they are sharp v shaped while hose is rounded. It will work for short term but may be bigger headache than the existing proplem. Do not maintain talk full- it won't blow out nearly as bad.
Old 04-30-2012, 04:58 PM   #49
Mod free 5er

Can a surge tank be used with a hose connected to it and inserted deep enough into the surge tank to allow syphoning back into the main tank?
Old 04-30-2012, 05:00 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harleydriven View Post
great video, i have the same problem on my 2012, georgetown 378. i've looked an looked at reservoir an the manifold i don't see where its coming from , must be cap also, theres what appears to be a breather, L shaped pointing down i wondered about that, but drip continues, please post if you find something out , thaks you
123d q
2011 Flagstaff 8528RLWS 5th Wheel
Reese Sidewinder Hitch 2002 Road Star Warrior
SouthWest Florida FROG
Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 05:18 PM   #51
Mod free 5er

Can the vent be removed and a small surge tank inserted and the vent placed on top of the surge tank & install a spacer between the tank and the filler cap itself?
Old 05-02-2012, 09:24 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunnnc View Post
Can the vent be removed and a small surge tank inserted and the vent placed on top of the surge tank & install a spacer between the tank and the filler cap itself?
Harley and Dunnc I hope this is the answer to the tank fitting size. It matches up best I can tell without a sample. Maybe a call to Lippert can confirm it
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Str plug.pdf (220.3 KB, 56 views)
Old 05-05-2012, 10:12 PM   #53

Hose vs Hyd tank cap

Heres photo comparison of the hyd tank vent cap and GHT or garden hose thread. Its apparent the hose is larger in diameter and more course threads. The difference is approx
.050 inches or nearly 1/16. In lieu of raising the cap, I'm thinking of adding a fine mesh screen maybe #20 or 30 mesh. That will allow air to pass but tend to condense oil and cause it to fall back. The OD of the sponge is 1.20 inches and the screen cut to close to that diameter will lay on top of the cap and held in place by the sponge and yellow lid. I'll use SS or Monel material.

Also attached is the tank with marks at full level 1.5 inches from top and level with all slides and jacks out. By keeping full level low (dipstick allows even lower) the breathing of oil is miniumized. I use very little oil makeup.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	thread pic.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	38.9 KB
ID:	13284   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cap thd.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	34.4 KB
ID:	13285   Click image for larger version

Name:	hose thd.jpg
Views:	138