Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-11-2015, 05:10 PM   #1

Four days before I leave for Daytona and I find this

Was getting coach all packed and ready to go and as I was walking around the front of coach and started down drivers side I seen this on my front fender over wheel. Nothing has hit it. Just 2 big cracks appeared. They look like stress cracks. Haven't even made a trip with it yet.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1423692411263.jpg
Views:	321
Size:	18.0 KB
ID:	69501   Click image for larger version

Name:	1423692439664.jpg
Views:	314
Size:	27.2 KB
ID:	69502   Click image for larger version

Name:	1423692461643.jpg
Views:	303
Size:	19.9 KB
ID:	69503   Click image for larger version

Name:	1423692475182.jpg
Views:	299
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	69504  
Cbretta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 05:35 PM   #2
WDK

Is that just the paint or is the metal cracking as well? Neither are good but one is just superficial and the other I would have checked out before leave.

WDK
WDK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 05:45 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbretta View Post
Was getting coach all packed and ready to go and as I was walking around the front of coach and started down drivers side I seen this on my front fender over wheel. Nothing has hit it. Just 2 big cracks appeared. They look like stress cracks. Haven't even made a trip with it yet.
Those are stress cracks not paint. I would find out why. Take it to your dealer and let them see it. Have you used your leveling system yet?

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 06:24 PM   #4

The dealer had my coach to put the new floor in and they used the levelling system when they installed the floor. They called me that it was done so I went and picked it up and all looked great, I drove it home and parked it. Went yesterday to start putting supplies in it for our trip and found the cracks. The front fenders appear to be made from plastic and is cracked clear through. I have taken pics and sent it to dealer, just waiting to here what they say.
Old 02-11-2015, 06:34 PM   #5

If you plan on using your unit you best plan on using some sheet metal and nuts and bolts to hold it together while you are gone.

It will take some time, well lots of time before the dealer will get the parts to fix it up.

Might be a good plan to pay a visit to Goshen, IN. in June, might just be the faster option.
Old 02-11-2015, 09:15 PM   #6

This is probably due to too-thick paint primer in this area when the mh was first painted. The primer, as it slowly dries, shrinks, and then cracks - just like clay ground does when it dries. That also explains why the cracks are deep

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Sbryant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 12:02 AM   #7

Judging by the ice hanging from the front fender and the snow on the ground, I would tend to think it is a result from leveling the unit in extreme cold weather and the plastic fender cracked from the slightest shift. I don't think it will be an issue for your trip to Daytona but definitely think you should get some FR relief for this issue. Sorry it happened to you.
Burr Rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 12:22 AM   #8

Since you have the pictures I would contact FR and explain what is going on and that you need the parts shipped to you dealer or have them(dealer order the parts) and go enjoy the race. If they can not fix then go to Goshen in Aug and I would have them complete the repair.
&
Our Baby Dachshund
Cammie
ramair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 12:29 AM   #9

Put some Daytona chrome on it before you roll, make sure it's quality tape and it will hold it together.
Old 02-12-2015, 03:17 AM   #10
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

It's a new coach, contact your dealer and tell them of the situation, then take off on your trip. I wouldn't put tape on it, that looks tacky and it won't help anything. It's under warranty, the dealer will replace it. Most likely they're stress cracks from screws that hold the fender on, since it looks like they originate from under trim rail.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 05:53 AM   #11

Four days before I leave for Daytona and I find this

Goshen is a long drive from New Brunswick , Canada. Hopefully my dealer can fix.
Old 02-12-2015, 03:07 PM   #12

Im Going to key largo leaveing 2-15 on I95 (05 Gtown 375ts)
to kings kamp maybe seeya

Glenn and Marika
glenn56h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 05:31 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbretta View Post
Not good, but it's probably still under warranty. To prevent the cracks from progressing any further till you get replacement pieces and to prevent any of it from falling off you might want to stop drill the crack. At the very very end of the crack drill a tiny hole approx 1/16 inch, this should stop it from getting any longer. This is done in aviation all the time. Hope this all works out well for you.
Old 02-13-2015, 09:06 PM   #14

Fracture/Crack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Idaho View Post
If you plan on using your unit you best plan on using some sheet metal and nuts and bolts to hold it together while you are gone.

It will take some time, well lots of time before the dealer will get the parts to fix it up.

Might be a good plan to pay a visit to Goshen, IN. in June, might just be the faster option.
Take a 1/16" drill bit or smaller and drill a hole at the end of the fracture...this will stop any spreading of fracture....J
Jim in Halifax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 10:59 PM   #15

My 2015 Silverback is in the shop right now for repair of a similar 2 1/2 inch crack in the gel coat siding.
Photos are not going to satisfy the factory. You need a professional assessment of non collision. They simply will not accept your word or opinion. They will usually honor a claim for repair. So, get your division warranty administrator for your area of purchase and document all you can via e mail. That way both you and FR have a record. I took my dlr out of the pic because of distance and I do not believe he could repair it properly.
I located a dlr that has a HUGE service area and expertise. They repaired $3000 damage on my prior Keystone and you could not tell it was damaged.
Good luck....
Mel
SilverbackMel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 11:09 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaMan View Post
It's a new coach, contact your dealer and tell them of the situation, then take off on your trip. I wouldn't put tape on it, that looks tacky and it won't help anything. It's under warranty, the dealer will replace it. Most likely they're stress cracks from screws that hold the fender on, since it looks like they originate from under trim rail.
Don't know about that area but I got a quality roll in white that blends real well wit an RV finish,had a few travelers that greatly appreciated that I keep it on board. If fiberglass flexes back and forth in the wind it will crack more and could possibly start dropping pieces along the road side. I believe he stated it was a fiberglass piece.
Old 02-13-2015, 11:37 PM   #17

Here is the latest information I have for Georgetown warrantee.
I would email them the pictures ASAP

Kevin Stratton
Forest River Warranty Georgetown
Phone: 574-206-7611
Fax: 574-206-2484
kstratton@forestriverinc.com

His boss was Terry Miller 574-206-7600

Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote