Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-18-2015, 03:08 PM   #1

FR Georgetown 364ts Generator issues

Is anyone having power issues with their Forest River Georgetown RVs?
I have a 2015 364ts and the generator does not seem to have enough power to power both AC's, the refrigerator, the lights, the TVs and more. The rear AC kicks off or the fuse blows on the generator when you use too much power. I have had it at the dealer 3 times and they tell me to not use everything at once, or just turn off the rear AC.
I don't think that's the answer. The coach should run everything that the manufacturer installed. I understand if I added a coffee maker or blow dryer, but that's not the case. You can't use the microwave without blowing the fuse. Is anyone else having issues with their Georgetown's?
GotMiami.Com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 06:27 PM   #2
Tim & Lisa Trempert

I have never blown a fuse and have camped using just the generator with both ACs and using the microwave. 5th season. However, mine does not have the auto transfer switch. That seems to be the common denominator.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 07-18-2015, 07:26 PM   #3

I have been sitting at the dragstrip all afternoon with both airconditioners on high, both of the big TVs on, have used the microwave, and have a heat lamp on for the bearded dragon. No problems with the generator handling the load. I have on occasion had my generator stutter and the transfer switch momentarily shuts down current on a hot day if I hit the brakes hard or go over a speed bump if the generator is hot. Sounds like the dealer doesn't want to admit to a problem
I have however changed all my bulbs to LEDs but I didn't have a problem before the switch.

Charleston SC
1 Boston Terrier, 1 Frenchie, Two Siamese
Gonna miss you Toby, Sage, and Izzie. RIP
cjd10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 08:24 PM   #4

Picture of bearded dragon set up please and dragon. Thanks

Old 07-18-2015, 09:44 PM   #5

I run both air conditioners, refrigerator, microwave, and sometimes the water heater all at the same time off the generator. Never a problem using the Onan 5500 generator. My Georgetown also does not have an automatic transfer switch. It has a 50 amp outlet from the generator that I plug the cord into located inside the cord storage compartment.
Old 07-18-2015, 10:16 PM   #6

Just a suggestion when running full load in your motorhome.
The smaller stuff is not any big issues but the AC can be.

Start one AC up at a time and wait a while until it starts working well and putting out cold air.
Then start the second one up and see what happens.

Just my suggestion.
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 10:19 PM   #7

I also have a 364TS and have used the generator with both AC's running full blast for several hours (probably 6 or so) and never had any problem with the generator. Of course my refrigerator never has gotten below 56 degrees but I just haven't found time to take it in. It's always something. I don't buy the dealers story about the genny at all.
Old 07-19-2015, 11:43 AM   #8

My 364ts generator was on for 4 hours last Thursday running both A/C units and the refrigerator and I had no problems.
Roger2650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 01:29 PM   #9

I have a Montana 2955 5vr with 2 ACs (15k & 13.5) and a Onan 5.5 gasoline generator built in, and should be about the same conditions, and have had similar problems. Here's the deal. My Onan 5.5 has 2 115v legs, one on a 20 amp breaker, and one on a 30 amp breaker (breakers on the generator) running to the transfer switch. I suspect yours is the same. Note that the 50A RV park service is actually 240v 50A. It has two 50A 115v legs, twice the power, and a whole "nother" story compared to the generator. Also note that if both A/Cs are on the gen 20A leg, it trips. Now to the adders. My water heater is 12 gal and pulls about 10A, and my "enhanced" 3 stage converter that maintains the 12v batteries can pull up to 12A, which means that if it is pulling "full" load and either A/C is running, it trips. I've rearranged the breaker locations in the breaker box to best match my usual loads, and can run both A/Cs "most" of the time - provided wife doesn't decide to plug in a curling iron, or run the M/W. In the 364TS you have 2 6gal H/W heaters that should be switched OFF. Note that turning on the propane doesn't automatically turn OFF the electricity! You have to do that with a separate switch.
When you figure out what loads are on what side of the breaker box, and the run the number totals for each side you will see pretty quickly that it is fairly easy to trip a 5.5 Onan.
RubberNail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 02:48 PM   #10
Tim & Lisa Trempert

My 350 has two 30 amp breakers on the Onan 5500. I wonder if that is the difference. Do the folks having a problem have a 20 and 30 amp breaker?

Old 07-19-2015, 05:17 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by GABoy View Post
Picture of bearded dragon set up please and dragon. Thanks

My wife has a portable cage for the beardy that we set on the top bunk. It is a mesh type with pvc frame. The lamp has an adjustable stand for height. We don't let the lamp get too close to the mesh although it is made for the heat and we turn it off when we are away from the MH. "Spike" loves to watch TV so the DVD player in the bunk works out great.

To the OP, is there any way you can tell if your airconditioners are on separate breakers as another suggested? If someone put them both on the same line it would explain a lot.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	418.2 KB
ID:	83367  

Charleston SC
Old 07-19-2015, 05:18 PM   #12

One more,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	329.5 KB
ID:	83370  

Charleston SC
Old 07-19-2015, 08:12 PM   #13
Tim & Lisa Trempert

Mine are on two breakers. Pretty easy to test. Turn on both air conditioners and then turn off a breaker and see if one, and only one, stops.

Old 07-19-2015, 08:30 PM   #14

Have not seen a 5.5 Onan with 2 30AMP breakers (would be a 6.6 Onan) but assume possible. Mine is about 7 years old. My advice is to go to the breaker box. Breakers should be labelled. Map the breakers, breaker 1, then breaker 2, so forth down the breaker box, noting what's on each. All odd breakers are on the same genset line. All even are on the other. Go to your ref, H/W, A/C, etc manuals and get the AMP load on breaker in the breaker box. If you have as I do, a 20 and a 30 breaker on the genset, while running, flip one off. Then check the outlets you mapped to see if it cuts off the even or the odd line. Now you know for the genset breaker A what loads are on it, and by default what loads are on genset breaker B. You should now, assuming you did the arithmetic, know if your loads exceed the genset breakers. Remember the converter (keeps house batteries charged), the fridge, and each of the H/W heaters carry a load unless you switched them off the electricity. We usually see this problem when we are late risers in the summer and both A/C's are running along with the coffee pot and toaster. If the totals don't show there should be a problem, Google Onan and find an authorized service shop. They are pretty common. Go there with the unit and have it load tested. If you take it in to the RV service center they will still have to take it to Onan and will take several days longer!
Old 07-20-2015, 01:15 AM   #15

Just went out and looked to verify. My Onan 5500 has two 30 amp breakers.
Also, if I trip one breaker on the generator it shuts down all the power to the MH. Guess the transfer switch has to see both legs. The way I verify the wiring setup is by watching the progressive dynamics surge protector. I can see how many amps are being pulled on each leg.

Charleston SC
Old 07-20-2015, 10:04 AM   #16

If tripping one genset breaker shuts down ALL power to the MH, I'm pretty sure your genset/transfer switch is not wired correctly. Had to replace my transfer switch while returning from Alaska in 2011. Screw backed out and fell into the wiring. Fortunately we were there when RV filled with smoke and we cut the power. Switch was behind a bulkhead which, while scorched, didn't catch fire. When you look at the switch you should see two legs from the shore power and two from the genset. If both legs are present you can (CAREFULLY) check with a voltmeter to verify both are hot. Started RV'ing in 1970 and the one thing I've learned is when something goes wrong you can never be sure of WHY until you find it. As often as not, not what you expected.
Old 07-20-2015, 11:34 AM   #17
toolman_57

The generator on my 364 turned off twice during my last trip. Using one AC and the refrigerator, driving, 95 degrees outside--wouldn't restart until things cooled down a bit. Haven't been able to repeat the problem while stationary at home.
toolman_57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 12:16 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by toolman_57 View Post
The generator on my 364 turned off twice during my last trip. Using one AC and the refrigerator, driving, 95 degrees outside--wouldn't restart until things cooled down a bit. Haven't been able to repeat the problem while stationary at home.
We had this happen twice also while driving, so I took it into the cummins dealer.....they had it for a week and could not duplicate it even with both AC, fridge and microwave running! I had them change all filters (fuel, oil and air) and the oil and haven't had an issue since......!

Speculation was something in the fuel line. Or the carburetor, but all has worked since then. The Cummins guy was awesome to work with. I paid for the filters and oil change, but everything else they billed as warranty.

Let me know if you find something! There was also speculation it was the fuel pump, but as I said, no issues since we got it back in early June. (And we've been out every weekend but one since then) and have run the genny every trip when driving.
Thanks
Garren
Edgar & Carlos (felines)
RIP Sophie, the sweetest cat ever.
ChrisAndGarren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 10:00 PM   #19
toolman_57

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisAndGarren View Post
We had this happen twice also while driving, so I took it into the cummins dealer.....they had it for a week and could not duplicate it even with both AC, fridge and microwave running! I had them change all filters (fuel, oil and air) and the oil and haven't had an issue since......!

Speculation was something in the fuel line. Or the carburetor, but all has worked since then. The Cummins guy was awesome to work with. I paid for the filters and oil change, but everything else they billed as warranty.

Let me know if you find something! There was also speculation it was the fuel pump, but as I said, no issues since we got it back in early June. (And we've been out every weekend but one since then) and have run the genny every trip when driving.
Thanks
Garren
Thanks for the info--I'm running multi-viscosity oil (just did the initial oil change about 20 hours ago). I think I'll replace it with straight weight 30 (per the manual) and check the air filter. Hopefully it'll survive our "big trip" next month.
toolman_57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 08:55 AM   #20

It may be an issue of too much on one leg of the gen. If you have a propane Fridge and you are running on AC, it will take 5 Amp or so, this plus the 15A for an AC and the microwave starting surge might be enough to trip.
happywhencamping is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator, georgetown