Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-29-2015, 09:50 PM   #21

i have posted about having the same issues as the OP, and thought it was the furrion ATS. i took it out of the loop, and put in a 50 amp outlet off the genset.

today i drove 3.5 hrs on 95 degree heat to cape cod. ran both a/c's and whatever other draw was on (not the water heat, however) and did not have any trouble. with the ATS, it would have definitely kicked out in an hour or so, as has happened many times.

so, for me at least (and i think most others) it's the ATS. also, i have two breakers on my genset.

so, as far as i am concerned, i am fixed of this issue. also, i run royal purple full synthetic 15w-40 for oil.

Front & Rear Roadmaster Sway Bars
Koni Shocks
Front and Rear Sumo Springs Jounce Replacement
willingtonpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 04:11 PM   #22

I had problems using the Genset and running house AC with microwave at the same time while running down the road with 7 people in the MH. Breaker shut off, so I reset it, but it did it again a few miles down the road. When we got to the CG they had an electrician staying there and he measured the load on the Genset; 2-30amp breakers on Genset. Come to find out that having my refrigerator, AC, microwave, and WH all on electric at the same time were pulling too many amps. Turned the refrigerator to gas; gas only on the WH; and didn't use Microwave while AC was on and had no more issues.
Days Camped 2017 = 56
Days Camped 2018 = 74
MSB68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 08:41 PM   #23

I also have a onan 5500 lp generator with two 30 amp breakers. this allows 30 amps on either leg. the more common configuration is a 30 and 20 amp breaker. thus one leg is limited to only 20 amps before the breaker trips. but one must also be aware that the total output of the generator is approximately 5500 watts in total. the 20 amp / 30 amp configuration could conceivably draw 6000 watts (50 amps total @ 120 volts). thus you could overload the generator while not tripping the circuit breakers. the 30 amp / 30 amp configuration would just exacerbate the situation.
CHICKDOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 12:05 AM   #24

I have had the same problem and took it in for warranty work. I got it back today and they said the transfer switch wasn't wired correctly and that they replaced it. I'm camping tomorrow night so I will find out if it's fixed.
denveer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 06:10 AM   #25

well, when i took mine apart, it looked like it was wired correctly. i really think its the switch overheating and the magnets, when hot, losing their grip on the connection over to the genset.

i agree with msb68 that water heater, AC, fridge, micro and draw to charge batteries (which is always there and fluctuates) is a possible and quite likely overload. i have never run my water heater on electric since new (we dry camp alot and don't want to have to switch back and forth; recovery on propane is plenty fast enough, and i don't mind burning the propane when we have hookups) so that's not a draw ever. and when going down the road, all i wanted was both house AC's on with the background draw, with the fans on both set on low vs. auto so lower draw. there is no way the genny does not have enough power to do that, based on the specs of the two AC's (and my front AC is the larger 15000 BTU model). if it kept scrambling the transfer switch and popping the front AC breaker, which it did many, many times when hot out, then it's gotta be the transfer switch.

like i said, i put a 50 amp outlet on the end of the genny outbound and problem solved. ran from CT to southwest harbor ME (7 hrs on the road) in 90-95 degree temps with the genset on and both AC's running and never an interruption. problem solved for $10 and 15 minutes of time. only thing is that now, when the genny fires up, there is no lag in power draw. so make sure everything in the coach is off, start the genset, let it warm up for a minute or so, then go plug in, then turn the AC's on. the automatic delay for the genny to come up to speed and warm up for a bit on the transfer switch is nice.....

Front & Rear Roadmaster Sway Bars
Koni Shocks
Front and Rear Sumo Springs Jounce Replacement
willingtonpaul is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator, georgetown