Old 07-18-2015, 03:08 PM   #1
FR Georgetown 364ts Generator issues

Is anyone having power issues with their Forest River Georgetown RVs?
I have a 2015 364ts and the generator does not seem to have enough power to power both AC's, the refrigerator, the lights, the TVs and more. The rear AC kicks off or the fuse blows on the generator when you use too much power. I have had it at the dealer 3 times and they tell me to not use everything at once, or just turn off the rear AC.
I don't think that's the answer. The coach should run everything that the manufacturer installed. I understand if I added a coffee maker or blow dryer, but that's not the case. You can't use the microwave without blowing the fuse. Is anyone else having issues with their Georgetown's?

GotMiami.Com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 06:27 PM   #2
Tim & Lisa Trempert
I have never blown a fuse and have camped using just the generator with both ACs and using the microwave. 5th season. However, mine does not have the auto transfer switch. That seems to be the common denominator.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

Tim & Lisa
2011 Georgetown 350
Trempert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 07:26 PM   #3
I have been sitting at the dragstrip all afternoon with both airconditioners on high, both of the big TVs on, have used the microwave, and have a heat lamp on for the bearded dragon. No problems with the generator handling the load. I have on occasion had my generator stutter and the transfer switch momentarily shuts down current on a hot day if I hit the brakes hard or go over a speed bump if the generator is hot. Sounds like the dealer doesn't want to admit to a problem
I have however changed all my bulbs to LEDs but I didn't have a problem before the switch.
2014 Georgetown 351DS

Charleston SC
3 Boston Terriers, 1 Frenchie
Gonna miss you Toby. RIP
cjd10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 08:24 PM   #4
Picture of bearded dragon set up please and dragon. Thanks

2014 Georgetown 351DS
Chevy Colorado Crew
GABoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 09:44 PM   #5
I run both air conditioners, refrigerator, microwave, and sometimes the water heater all at the same time off the generator. Never a problem using the Onan 5500 generator. My Georgetown also does not have an automatic transfer switch. It has a 50 amp outlet from the generator that I plug the cord into located inside the cord storage compartment.
2010 Georgetown 373
2013 Jeep Wrangler
Cornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 10:16 PM   #6
Just a suggestion when running full load in your motorhome.
The smaller stuff is not any big issues but the AC can be.

Start one AC up at a time and wait a while until it starts working well and putting out cold air.
Then start the second one up and see what happens.

Just my suggestion.
2012 Georgetown XL - 378TS 49,000 miles
(2013 - 98 days) (2014 - 117 days) (2015 - 67 days) (2016 - 115 days)
USAF Retired - MSgt

Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 10:19 PM   #7
I also have a 364TS and have used the generator with both AC's running full blast for several hours (probably 6 or so) and never had any problem with the generator. Of course my refrigerator never has gotten below 56 degrees but I just haven't found time to take it in. It's always something. I don't buy the dealers story about the genny at all.
2016 Forest River Georgetown 364TS
marcusfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 11:43 AM   #8
My 364ts generator was on for 4 hours last Thursday running both A/C units and the refrigerator and I had no problems.
Roger2650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 01:29 PM   #9
I have a Montana 2955 5vr with 2 ACs (15k & 13.5) and a Onan 5.5 gasoline generator built in, and should be about the same conditions, and have had similar problems. Here's the deal. My Onan 5.5 has 2 115v legs, one on a 20 amp breaker, and one on a 30 amp breaker (breakers on the generator) running to the transfer switch. I suspect yours is the same. Note that the 50A RV park service is actually 240v 50A. It has two 50A 115v legs, twice the power, and a whole "nother" story compared to the generator. Also note that if both A/Cs are on the gen 20A leg, it trips. Now to the adders. My water heater is 12 gal and pulls about 10A, and my "enhanced" 3 stage converter that maintains the 12v batteries can pull up to 12A, which means that if it is pulling "full" load and either A/C is running, it trips. I've rearranged the breaker locations in the breaker box to best match my usual loads, and can run both A/Cs "most" of the time - provided wife doesn't decide to plug in a curling iron, or run the M/W. In the 364TS you have 2 6gal H/W heaters that should be switched OFF. Note that turning on the propane doesn't automatically turn OFF the electricity! You have to do that with a separate switch.
When you figure out what loads are on what side of the breaker box, and the run the number totals for each side you will see pretty quickly that it is fairly easy to trip a 5.5 Onan.
RubberNail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 02:48 PM   #10
Tim & Lisa Trempert
My 350 has two 30 amp breakers on the Onan 5500. I wonder if that is the difference. Do the folks having a problem have a 20 and 30 amp breaker?

Tim & Lisa
2011 Georgetown 350
Trempert is offline   Reply With Quote

generator, georgetown