Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-06-2013, 12:51 PM   #1

FREE Coach-Net Service 1st year

Has anyone used the free service that Forest River gives yo in the first year with Coach-Net?
What is it really for?
Just someplace to call and tell them your mechanical problems?
What services do they supply?
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 01:03 PM   #2
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
Has anyone used the free service that Forest River gives yo in the first year with Coach-Net?
What is it really for?
Just someplace to call and tell them your mechanical problems?
What services do they supply?
We used the service shortly after we got our FW. We had a flat tire in Brenham Texas while at the RV park.

We called the number and a tire repair shop sent out a truck and the tire was changed out with our spare.

Interestly enought, I received a renewal notice in the mail recently and have not done anything with it yet. Last night I received a phone call from them asking if I was going to renew.

So I can say I was satisfied with their tire changing the one time I used it.
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 01:57 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by B47 View Post
We used the service shortly after we got our FW. We had a flat tire in Brenham Texas while at the RV park.

We called the number and a tire repair shop sent out a truck and the tire was changed out with our spare.

Interestly enought, I received a renewal notice in the mail recently and have not done anything with it yet. Last night I received a phone call from them asking if I was going to renew.

So I can say I was satisfied with their tire changing the one time I used it.

Thanks
I have the Good Sam Roadside assitance which is similiar.
I got it mostly for the towing but remember FORD has towing to a FORD dealership if you have anything that has to do with the Ford engine tansmission, brakes, etc. That is under warranty for 36 months.

Correct me if I'm wrong.
Iggy
Old 01-07-2013, 09:04 AM   #4
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
Thanks
I have the Good Sam Roadside assitance which is similiar.
I got it mostly for the towing but remember FORD has towing to a FORD dealership if you have anything that has to do with the Ford engine tansmission, brakes, etc. That is under warranty for 36 months.

Correct me if I'm wrong.
Iggy
You're correct with the Ford Towing during the warranty period. Had to use them when my coach had a big time problem in the rear. I was on the way home from the Ford dealership after they had it for 4 days looking for a whining sound in the transmission. On the way home the rear fell apart, bolts had sheared off and the teeth on the rear gear was destroyed. They replaced the whole rear assembly gear set-up. I later spoke with a Ford rep at the Hershey RV Show and they did have a problem with a few 2006 chassis with the Dana Rears. Problem was the rear bolts weren't torqued properly resulting in the bolts shearing off once they loosened.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:29 AM   #5
Sherlock

Coach Net is included for the first year. If you have an extended warranty like Good Sams you should not renew as it is duplicate coverage.
Old 01-07-2013, 11:04 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by norwood12800 View Post
Coach Net is included for the first year. If you have an extended warranty like Good Sams you should not renew as it is duplicate coverage.
some people like good sams better some like coach net better-AAA for rv's
gerrym51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 11:16 AM   #7
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Good Sam ERS covers every vehicle at your address. Coach Net covers only the RV. Good Sam reimbursed the towing cost when my daughter was involved in an accident and the Police called for a tow truck to clear the road.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 12:08 PM   #8

We used our free Coachnet last summer while on the Oregon Coast. Our brakes were really acting up. Coachnet sent us to the nearest repair shop supposedly capable of working on RVs. The shop said our problem was the brake controller so we spent over $300 getting them to put in a new one.

It has taken 16 months to get our faulty brakes fixed (just finished before Xmas) and in the end it was cosmoline in the brakes, warped drums and a broken spring. Wasn't the controller at all and the old one would still have worked for us.

So, should we be upset with Coachnet? In a way I suppose, as the problem was misdiagnosed, but we do now have a top of the line b/c. Lost 1/2 day of camping while at the shop plus over $300. Between the dealer and Coachnet, this has been awful.

Oh, the other time we called Coachnet, our fridge wasn't working the night before we were about to head out on a trip. They say they are available 24 hours, but there was nobody really around and the person we ended up talking to said basically fridges weren't really his area of expertise. Argh...

DW says we are switching to Sam. She always says there is no such thing as "free" in life and you either pay for it in the end somehow or you get what you pay for.
Old 01-07-2013, 12:45 PM   #9

I am new to RVing so I am a little confused here.

First I read on the Coach Net site that they will cover all vehicles own/borrowed or leased. Is this not correct? Or does the free 1 year plan differ from what they sell?

Second, I thought this was a Emergency Road Service. How would a non working fridge fall under that service.

Am I missing something in what this service provides. Is it just Emergency Road Service (like breakdowns/flat tires/ Lockouts) or do they also provide some kind of RV routine service work?

How does Good Sam or AAA differ?
Indymule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 12:57 PM   #10

When we phoned them about our fridge problem, we didn't say if we were out on the road or not. They didn't ask. It was a big emergency to us nevertheless since when you are about to leave and your fridge isn't working, that's a real problem. They were pleasant while talking to them - they just weren't of help.

The point is, if they advertise 24 hour emergency service, maybe they aren't all that good.
Old 01-07-2013, 07:13 PM   #11

First of all, the free one year Coach Net policy is a basic policy. I called them when I got my Georgetown and it is not even the same as the lowest price policy they sell. I bought the most expensive policy, which is $129.00 (I think), so utility trailers would be covered. The basic policy does not cover utility trailers (Good Sam or Coach Net, or AAA)

Coach Net covers ALL of your vehicles, and any vehicle you are driving or riding in. The technical service they advertise may or may not be helpful, but since it doesn't cost anything extra, oh well.

I have had both Good Sam ERS (Since it's inception) or Coach Net (Which was free in 1993 when I bought a Itasca, and again in 2011 when I bought a Georgetown). I went to Good Sam again after that, had a problem with a utility trailer tire that nobody would cover.

That's when I went with the more expensive Coach Net policy. Coach Net also covers all drivers in your household under 21 or 25, children or grandchildren.

To be sure which one meets your needs, go on their website and review the coverage for each policy. Truthfully, I have used both for tire changes, tows, and information, and they are pretty comparable. I have had a few things go wrong, but that can happen with either one. The big thing is the amount of coverage and how much you are willing to pay.

Happy Trails, Forrest
2011 Georgetown 378TS
2011 Ford Escape V-6 4X4
fbconsults is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 07:24 PM   #12

So, how to I find out about what the basic 1 yr free service covers?

I have not taken delivery of my new trailer yet so I have not seen anything about the service. I have been trying to research out such stuff before the trailer arrives.
Indymule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 07:30 PM   #13

Call Coach Net and ask them. They can tell you the difference between the policies and what each covers.

Happy Trails, Forrest
2011 Georgetown 378TS
2011 Ford Escape V-6 4X4
fbconsults is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 07:53 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by myredracer View Post
When we phoned them about our fridge problem, we didn't say if we were out on the road or not. They didn't ask. It was a big emergency to us nevertheless since when you are about to leave and your fridge isn't working, that's a real problem. They were pleasant while talking to them - they just weren't of help.

The point is, if they advertise 24 hour emergency service, maybe they aren't all that good.
Emergency RV (Motroized) Service. Not appliance service.
Engine, transmission, tires, brakes or towing. Not refrigerators.
Old 01-07-2013, 09:21 PM   #15

Send a message via Skype™ to Falcon35
I have had Good Sam and Coach Net. I had GS let me down several time so I switch to CN. I had it when I got the Georgetown and Forest River policy only covers the coach. When the FR plan ran out and I renewed with the regular CN plan. A few weeks back my DW was out with our Acura and called me it would not start. I called CN they sent a truck that boasted it. A few years ago when I was with GS I needed a boast that car. GS told me that they would call Acura for me because it was still covered by them but I would need to give them the vin #. I told them that I could not get cell service where the car was and reminded her that I had paid GS for that service please send some one. I then went and waited with the car when no one came I called Acura and they sent a truck to do the boast. The next day a supervisor from GS phoned to ask if someone came as my call was still on there system. I switched to CN. When our power steps failed I called CN and they found me two different dealers that would look at it one north one south.
Protect-A-Tow
Falcon35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:32 PM   #16

Thumbs down you get what you pay for, nothing

My alternator went within the first year. I called Coach Net as I needed a tow. They refused to come out. I changed to Goodsam towing who have helped me twice with no issue. I would not give Coach Net a nickle.
silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 02:08 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indymule View Post
So, how to I find out about what the basic 1 yr free service covers?

I have not taken delivery of my new trailer yet so I have not seen anything about the service. I have been trying to research out such stuff before the trailer arrives.

I actually just called about this yesterday! For some reason, I didn't receive anything in the mail after we bought our new coach. Was flipping through some paperwork for something else then suddenly remembered that we were supposed to have something from Coach-Net.

Was told that the one year free coverage was the "Gold" plan. Coach-Net - Plans
go6car is offline   Reply With Quote