Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-16-2016, 12:01 PM   #1

Fresh water drain and vent

For starters, 2008 FR Georgetown SE TS 350.

Does anybody know where the approximate location of the fresh water tank drain can be found?

I tried to pour my sanitizing bleach solution using the fresh water tank hose fitting on the panel, a hose screw into the fresh water fill and a funnel. I only got about maybe a couple of cups in, then it stopped and the funnel and hose would not drain any more.........Plugged vent tube? And I do believe the tank is actually empty, even with the panel showing 1/3 full. When you run the water pump , the water comes out in spurts and starts and stops. I did not do that for any length of time, as to not ruin the pump.

The low point drains are in the propane tank compartment, I did open the valve on the one and unscrewed the cap off the other. It is my understanding that those drains drain the plumbing and the plumbing only. Correct?

Next to the low point drains is a plastic tube, about 1/2 inside diameter, someone previously has placed a piece of screen over the end and secured it with tap. I'm assuming the screen was to keep flying insects out.

Is that the vent for the fresh water tank? Can I insert something into the line to see if it is blocked? Or do I need start removing panels and crawling under underneath?

Thanks
JohnnyMeteor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 04:11 PM   #2
RJJ

My fresh water tank overflow/vent tube came with screen over it and tape around the end like you are saying. You can't see your fresh tank to tell if it's full or empty? The gauges are not very reliable. Have you tried hooking a hose up to a water source to see if you can fill your fresh water tank? A hose and funnel may not work since you are working against gravity, pressure from water already in your tank and possibly not getting enough pressure to open the check valve at the fresh water inlet. Just a couple of thoughts. Hope it helps.

2015 Georgetown 329DS
2014 Chevy Equinox
RJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 04:24 PM   #3

fresh water tank

That is very helpful. I have scoured the internet and of course there is no diagram of the water panel and where things actually go.

We are going out this weekend, when at the park I will try filling the fresh water tank with the parks pressurized system.

We can not park it at the house, and it is parked about 15 miles away, and there is no water hookup.

Thanks
Old 08-16-2016, 04:54 PM   #4

Hi JohnnyMeteor,

Forest River just can't seem to understand that people need a gravity feed line into their fresh water tanks to make life easier. When I want to add stuff, I use one of these: Milescraft 1314 Drill Pump 750-13140103 - The Home Depot

You can also just pour some bleach into the hose before you hook up to the campground water source and pump it in that way.

Good luck,
Don
dmdrj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 10:33 PM   #5

Thanks for the tip on the drill pump. I had one of those a few years ago. Loaned it to someone and now I have no idea where it is.

We have had the unit for a little over 2 months now. I'm starting to realize that Forest River didn't understand a lot of things.

Such as the water issue and the biggest oversight......holding the walls to the frame with puny self tapping screws.
Old 08-18-2016, 07:12 AM   #6

Sorry I know nothing about your MH,,, but was wondering,,, how much Bleach are you trying to add ??? Seams I read a 1/4 of a cup will sanities a 20 gallon tank ???
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 09:56 AM   #7

I have seen a few different formulas for the bleach concoction. I went with the 1 oz of bleach for every ten gallons of the tank. I have a 80 gallon tank so I mixed a batch of 1 gallon of water and 8 oz of bleach, 1 cup to bleach to be exact. Poured in the tank it will be the right concentration.
Old 08-18-2016, 10:16 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyMeteor View Post
I have seen a few different formulas for the bleach concoction. I went with the 1 oz of bleach for every ten gallons of the tank. I have a 80 gallon tank so I mixed a batch of 1 gallon of water and 8 oz of bleach, 1 cup to bleach to be exact. Poured in the tank it will be the right concentration.
Sounds Right !!!
I thought you were putting straight bleach in,,, by the cups full !!! LOL !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 11:11 AM   #9

Bleach

Put bleach in hose before hookup and also town water has already been
Treated. Just my thoughts
Don
Old 08-18-2016, 11:42 AM   #10

On my georgetown 332 i can access the waterpump and see the freshwater tank in the second door back from the entry. I believe there is an antiback flow check valve in the fresh water line that will stop most attempts at gravity feed into the fresh water tank. I removed the partial cover inside the compartment and gained access to the waterpump. I then added a bypass hose between the pump output line and the tank fill hose. I put a shut off valve in this line. Ican now take the winterizing hose, put it in a container and pump directly into the fresh water tank. I boondock a lots ant this lets me pump in fresh water without moving the motorhome. Its sounds complicated but is just like the water heater by pass. All i have to do is put thehose in a container and turn the valve on and it will draw from a container. Nothing has to be shut down to do this
william brock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 10:59 AM   #11

I am looking for the same thing, I guess ! lol

In searching the internet I heard it was better to use vinegar instead of bleach, any thoughts, the person said the vinegar was less harsh and safer if you don't get it all out. I'm not looking to winterize, but have had the same water stored since this past Feb. I don't use it when traveling except for showers and the toilet and occasional dish washing, usually I use disposeable for food.

In Feb as I was connecting the city water, in LA, i noticed water pouring out of some pipe/hose on the opposite side; I was told the water pump needed to be replaced, which it was. Since I am assuming that the full tank of fresh water has been in there since early Feb of this year and I am getting ready to leave UT in another month, where do I find whatever I need to unplug to drain the water from the tank and refill it. I CAN NOT seem to find any diagrams on where the drains are and which one, I am assuming there are several. There is a bay that as low water point ? ! ? ! ?

Why is there always such a mystery of where things are and how do work them. I could not find anything specific about an overflow or drain hose for the fresh water tank in my manual, either on line or the physical manual, nor could I find anything on YouTube about where to find these hoses /drains !

My kids: CLEMMIE, aka Killer MAZIE, aka Killer II @the Rainbow Bridge:PYMMINT Keeshonden: Nicky, Tookie, Mandy, Chip, JD, Ashley, Winston, Ditty, Lyric, Montana, Georgie01-30-2011: KELLY; Eleanor; Montgomery; Charlotte Gray; Rosie, the Riveter; Audey Murphy; VIOLET
pymmint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 03:59 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by pymmint View Post
I am looking for the same thing, I guess ! lol

In searching the internet I heard it was better to use vinegar instead of bleach, any thoughts, the person said the vinegar was less harsh and safer if you don't get it all out. I'm not looking to winterize, but have had the same water stored since this past Feb. I don't use it when traveling except for showers and the toilet and occasional dish washing, usually I use disposeable for food.

In Feb as I was connecting the city water, in LA, i noticed water pouring out of some pipe/hose on the opposite side; I was told the water pump needed to be replaced, which it was. Since I am assuming that the full tank of fresh water has been in there since early Feb of this year and I am getting ready to leave UT in another month, where do I find whatever I need to unplug to drain the water from the tank and refill it. I CAN NOT seem to find any diagrams on where the drains are and which one, I am assuming there are several. There is a bay that as low water point ? ! ? ! ?

Why is there always such a mystery of where things are and how do work them. I could not find anything specific about an overflow or drain hose for the fresh water tank in my manual, either on line or the physical manual, nor could I find anything on YouTube about where to find these hoses /drains !

These are two pics of the "hoses" under and near the low drain bay . . .hmmmm apparently I can only do one at a time !
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	312.9 KB
ID:	118016  

My kids: CLEMMIE, aka Killer MAZIE, aka Killer II @the Rainbow Bridge:PYMMINT Keeshonden: Nicky, Tookie, Mandy, Chip, JD, Ashley, Winston, Ditty, Lyric, Montana, Georgie01-30-2011: KELLY; Eleanor; Montgomery; Charlotte Gray; Rosie, the Riveter; Audey Murphy; VIOLET
Old 08-21-2016, 04:06 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by pymmint View Post
These are two pics of the "hoses" under and near the low drain bay . . .hmmmm apparently I can only do one at a time !
Here's the second pic
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	508.3 KB
ID:	118018  
Old 08-22-2016, 10:58 AM   #14

This past weekend while we were camping, I crawled around underneath our unit, and I could not find a drain valve. I can see the fresh water tank in the basement compartment on the passengers side, it disappears off into the bowels of the beast. It is all sealed from the underside.

I did figure out that the one low point drain on the drivers side in the propane tank compartment, is feed by the water pump. So after filling the tank to dilute my bleach solution I drained it internally to the grey water tank through all the taps. The fresh water is 80 gallons and the grey water is 41, so had to stop draining and dump grey water a couple of time.

Refilled the fresh water tank and ran some of the solution free water through all taps. Then opened the valve on the one low point drain and let the pump clear the tank. Topped it off with maybe 10 gallons of hand washing and toilet flushing water.

I believe I'm good to go, well, till winterizing time.

Tags
drain, fresh water, vent, water