Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-01-2014, 09:08 AM   #1

Fresh Water Line

I am desperate for suggestions. I cannot get rid of the calcium deposits in I assume the fresh tank. Our toilet waterline get clogged after five or six flushes and we have to clean the strainer. We emptied and refilled the fresh water tank before leaving on our trip.
buddyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 09:36 AM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

There is no known chemical to aid in removing calcium deposits.

This is a problem in our hot tub and we use "spa defender" to help combat it.

Not sure if it's safe for potable water.

Are you sure it's not plastic particles left over from the manufacturing process from the water lines being cut with a saw?

Buy a small inline strainer like this.

Doesn't your camper have a water filter?

TURBS

Sabre owners united!
Attached Images

TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 09:56 AM   #3

I'm not sure about the possibility of some plastic. This all started after our trip to Florida last year (and we are on our way there again today). We do have a water filter and I just changed it before leaving in our trip.

BTW, the picture did not show up on my iPhone. I will check from my laptop later.
Old 05-01-2014, 10:20 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyu View Post
BTW, the picture did not show up on my iPhone. I will check from my laptop later.
Tap the message, then tab 'Web View' on the pop up menu. Should be able to see the picture in most cases that way.
Old 05-01-2014, 10:39 AM   #5

We have extremely hard water at home. So bad that I had to install a reverse osmosis system for our drinking water. Fed it to a faucet at the kitchen sink, as well as the fridge, so we get clean ice and water. It's amazing when you see the difference between a regular ice cube and an RO ice cube. You can almost see through the RO ones.

That said, every so often I have to clean literally everything, including outdoor spigots, with lime-a-way. While I hate suggesting a harsh chemical, it absolutely does work in breaking up the lime and calcium. You'd probably have to fill the tank with some, run it through the system a few times, then flush the entire system with bleach water. But that's just a suggestion. It's definitely a good idea to make sure it's not pipe shavings, as already suggested.
Old 05-01-2014, 10:45 AM   #6

What can be done if it is pipe shavings? How about removing the strainer from the toilet line?
Old 05-01-2014, 10:48 AM   #7
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I'd recommend putting the strainer in before toilet.

TURBS

Sabre owners united!
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 11:51 AM   #8

I just checked with the person that cleaned the filter and he said they crumbled so they see not plastic pipe shavings.
Old 05-01-2014, 03:50 PM   #9

Do you leave your water tank full all the time?
Maybe its time to drain it if that is where the buildup is starting.
If you have a filter the rest of the system should be protected.
But when you fill the water tank you go right into it without a filter.
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 03:59 PM   #10
Old Enough to Know Better

Might try a few gallons of vinger (acetic acid?) without dilution. Not as powerful as lime away but safer. I would remove all of the aereators during your flush
gasman6674 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 04:01 PM   #11

Send a message via AIM to B and B
We live in the hard water capital of Ontario. I used Vineger to clean out the pipes in our park model. Just dissolves, rinse. Not a health hazard or chemical. Use the same method for the hot tub at home.

Brian
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 04:03 PM   #12

Iggy. I leave it about half full. I drained it just before we left yesterday and on the trip down it clogged again. I also replaced the filter before we left. We are now hooked to city water so hopefully we won't have any problems when we are here.
Old 05-01-2014, 04:12 PM   #13

Do not put lime away in your FW tank unless your drain is on the bottom, you will never get it all out. Your best bet is to add a filter to your line as turbo shown. Do not fill your FW tank without a filter on the hose. Your water pump has a strainer on it but will not take out calcium. If you have the room I would add a Camco inline to the toilet so it will be also protected from city or well water when you are not using your pump.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 07:31 PM   #14

I haven't gone to Walmart to look for it yet but I was told there is a spray available that dissolves calcium. Supposedly all you have to do is spray the strainer that goes in the line to the toilet and that will dissolve the calcium.
Old 11-12-2015, 03:15 AM   #15

Our FR3 is having get same issue. I believe the issue is not the fresh water tank, but particles in the hot water tank getting back into the cold water line. In my case, the particles stopping up the toilet line are the same particles found in the hot water heater. My hot water tank needed to be flushed and the anode changed. Crossing my fngers. I believe there is another thread in here that talks about putting in an anti-siphon device in to stop the reversed flow.
Old 11-12-2015, 09:17 PM   #16

Pete. That is the exact problem I am having. We drained the fresh water tank, the hot water tank (and flushed it) and changed the anode rod. Worked great for a while but the calcium returned. I always have to unscrew the line to the toilet and the water spews everywhere. When you are 74 years old and had a knee replacement it "ain't " easy doing this!

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 11-13-2015, 10:11 AM   #17

I always Flush the hot water heater
and change the anode every year. Flush till I see no particles. Then I place a rag in the anode hole, about 8 inches and let it hang. This weeps all the water out for winter.
Coach 350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 10:51 AM   #18

Just like at home in coffee makers, distilled white vinegar will dissolve calcium build up deposits if allowed to soak the area. The suburban (10 gal) water heater electric heating element will also accumulate calcium build up and it can be removed easily to soak in vinegar to dissolve away the calcium and also allows tank to empty completely and viewing of the bottom of the tank where the deposit has built up.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 10:53 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyu View Post
Pete. That is the exact problem I am having. We drained the fresh water tank, the hot water tank (and flushed it) and changed the anode rod. Worked great for a while but the calcium returned. I always have to unscrew the line to the toilet and the water spews everywhere. When you are 74 years old and had a knee replacement it "ain't " easy doing this!

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
I bet it's not, do you have room to add a small filter in the line, might be easier on yourself?

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 10:12 PM   #20

I had this same problem with my 337 Georgetown. It took the dealer 3 flushes to clear this up and I now flush water heater after every trip.

I found that the on board water filter never had any calcium deposits in it. We thought the calcium might have been in the tank after it was manufactured (due to pressure testing). I went back to using the in line filter (on the hose). No problems since.
nicholsonv is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water