Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-19-2010, 09:56 PM   #1

Fresh Water Sanitizing

Wondering if I'm missing something simple. Last year I poured the bleach/water solution into the fresh water tank via the hose inlet using a funnel. I need to sanitize in the next couple days and was wondering if there is a "more proper" way.

The inlet to draw in anti-freeze would seem to avoid the fresh water tank.

I thought about pouring it into water filter housing, but I'm not sure if that is plumbed before or after the fresh water tank.

Thoughts?
TulsaSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 10:55 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TulsaSteve View Post
Wondering if I'm missing something simple. Last year I poured the bleach/water solution into the fresh water tank via the hose inlet using a funnel. I need to sanitize in the next couple days and was wondering if there is a "more proper" way.

The inlet to draw in anti-freeze would seem to avoid the fresh water tank.

I thought about pouring it into water filter housing, but I'm not sure if that is plumbed before or after the fresh water tank.

Thoughts?
Pretty much the way I do it Steve. I connect my hose to the tank fill port then pour some Taste Pure into the hose and then connect it to the spiggot and fill. I have been using it since day one on almost every fill and in the recommended amounts you can't taste or smell it. I usually pick up the Taste Pure at Walmart.
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 12:19 AM   #3

I basically do the same thing by pouring my bleach/water solution into the hose before filling. I only do it about twice a year since it's a pita
2009 Ford Edge AWD Ltd towed
2011 Honda Fit Sport towed
ronhanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 06:50 AM   #4
CLASS "A" Senior Member

I have a filter set up on my porch so I filter the water prior to it entering the water tank. I just unscrew the filter canister and pour in the Stay-Pure and replace the filter in the canister. Once I turn on the hose the Stay Pure enters with the water. Prior to this set up I just poured it in the hose and then connected it to the Fresh Water Tank Inlet.

One thing I did find after filling the tank. I forgot to remove the strainer prior to the pump last fall when I blew out the lines with compressed air. The screw on cap to the strainer cracked from freezing.
I took a Silver Sharpie and wrote myself a little reminder on the black panel just outside the pump compartment.I won't forget that again!

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 05:44 PM   #5

Thanks for the feedback. I'm back to the hose and funnel.

I looked at the TastePur stuff. It definitely takes out odor and bad taste, but the label on the bottle I read never uses the word "disinfect".

So I guess I'll stick with the old 1 cup bleach per 60 gallons.
Old 04-20-2010, 06:27 PM   #6

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback. I'm back to the hose and funnel.

I looked at the TastePur stuff. It definitely takes out odor and bad taste, but the label on the bottle I read never uses the word "disinfect".

So I guess I'll stick with the old 1 cup bleach per 60 gallons.
If you smell it, it's just chlorine bleach. I think it is in a low dilution amount. It did say in the description at Camping Worlds site that it does "Eliminate algae and slime buildup in your system."

I have used plain old bleach in the past and it works fine and is probably cheaper. I find though that my wife complains of the "bleach" smell when I have used it in the past. Maybe I was using too much. She doesn't complain about the Taste Pure.
www.nwjeepn.com
Old 04-20-2010, 06:56 PM   #7

Steve, you may be using too much bleach. I use 1/4 cup per 30 gallons, so perhaps you should cut your bleach to a half cup for the 60 gallons.

Hokiehall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 08:58 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hokiehall View Post
Steve, you may be using too much bleach. I use 1/4 cup per 30 gallons, so perhaps you should cut your bleach to a half cup for the 60 gallons.
Stupid Motorhome Magazine. April 2010 says 1 cup / 60 gallons on page 38.

I thought that was too much. Oh well I put in 1 cup tonight and filled the take (80 gallons). I'll drain it in the morning.
Old 04-20-2010, 09:00 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWJeeper View Post
If you smell it, it's just chlorine bleach. I think it is in a low dilution amount. It did say in the description at Camping Worlds site that it does "Eliminate algae and slime buildup in your system."

I have used plain old bleach in the past and it works fine and is probably cheaper. I find though that my wife complains of the "bleach" smell when I have used it in the past. Maybe I was using too much. She doesn't complain about the Taste Pure.
So you wife doesn't complain if you use the TastePur? Then it truly is worth it's weight in gold...

I'll pick up some tomorrow at Wally World to use later in the season.
Old 04-20-2010, 10:48 PM   #10

Quote:
Stupid Motorhome Magazine. April 2010 says 1 cup / 60 gallons on page 38.

I thought that was too much. Oh well I put in 1 cup tonight and filled the take (80 gallons). I'll drain it in the morning.
I believe Motorhome Magazine uses the RIVA ANSI standard which is certainly a valid recommendation and the one I use.

You can followup with a rinse of Baking Soda solution to remove the bleach smell. I just mix in a complete box.
2009 Ford Edge AWD Ltd towed
2011 Honda Fit Sport towed
ronhanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 08:18 PM   #11

Doing a little research, I found this on the internet.

http://rvbasics.com/techtips/sanitiz...er-system.html

Old 04-23-2010, 08:43 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronhanson View Post
You can followup with a rinse of Baking Soda solution to remove the bleach smell. I just mix in a complete box.
I tried this one time. I mixed the baking soda into water and then into the tank, maybe I was doing it wrong but before I could get the container with the baking soda water up to the filler the soda had all come out of suspension and settled to the bottom of the container again. What a pain in the butt! May be easier on the FR though as you could just pour it down the hose before connecting to a hose bib but dang, I vowed never again and started using the Taste Pure on every fill up.
www.nwjeepn.com
Old 04-23-2010, 08:44 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hokiehall View Post
Doing a little research, I found this on the internet.

http://rvbasics.com/techtips/sanitiz...er-system.html
Excellent link. Thanks! 1/4 cup per 15 gallons works out well for me. My fresh tank holds 80 gallons so 1 cup and 2/3rds full should do the trick.

I also picked up a "whole house" water filter for $30 at Wal-Mart. Standard hose fittings screw right into it. I removed the filter cartridge and poured the bleach into that, then turned on the water. Shoots right in.

Then I drained and refilled with a box of baking soda in the filter.

Also my wife happened to have "scented bleach" in the laundry room. It actually smelled nice even without the baking soda. "spring flower" scent or something.
Old 04-23-2010, 08:45 PM   #14

Quote:
Then I drained and refilled with a box of baking soda in the filter.
Ahh that's how you do it. I like that idea.
www.nwjeepn.com
Old 04-24-2010, 08:52 AM   #15

If you put the bleach into the water filter, doesn't that only go through the piping and not into the fresh water tank? To fill my tank, I need to hook the hose up to a separate inlet fitting next to the city water hookup.

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 09:30 AM   #16

In order to be sure the bleach gets into the fresh water tank, I pour the bleach into the end of the hose and then attach the hose to the spigot and turn it on. That gets the bleach into the tank, then let the tank fill. This mixes it thoroughly before running it through the piping. Once the tank is full, I turn off the water, then pump the tank water through each faucet, one at a time, starting with the one farthest from the tank, running the water until I smell the chlorine. Once all are done, I fill the tank back up and let everything sit, usually overnight. Then I flush everything, usually twice. I'll try the baking soda this year. It should reduce flushing to one round.