Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-28-2012, 01:34 PM   #1

Fresh Water Tank Sanitization

Hi Everyone,
I have a 2010 337 and want to sanitize my fresh water tank. I read in the "Manual" that I need to make a mixture of clorox and water and pour into the tank. My question is how and where do I pour it into the tank. I don't see anyplace where to pour it.
Thanks for your help.
RLFarrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 02:42 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLFarrell View Post
Hi Everyone,
I have a 2010 337 and want to sanitize my fresh water tank. I read in the "Manual" that I need to make a mixture of clorox and water and pour into the tank. My question is how and where do I pour it into the tank. I don't see anyplace where to pour it.
Thanks for your help.
Good question on how and where you can add the bleach.. Humm
If I had to do it I think this is how.
If you check the compartment oustside with the water tankk and pump I believe you will find a white hose that looks like it is coming off the top of the tank and it had a threaded plug at the end of it.

I would take that and open it and raise it above the tank and use a funnel to add the bleach. Then go to the other side and fill the tank full of water. I will check and see if I have a picture onf mine.

Could someone verify if I'm correct or ?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	water_Hose.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	12926  
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 03:11 PM   #3
Site Team - Lou

Is this how you fill the fresh tank in the Georgetown?
Why not just pour 1/2 cup of Clorox bleach (without any soap in it BTW) into an empty water hose; hook it up to the MH where you normally do and turn on the faucet. Let the tank fill till it vents (you can disconnect the hose here) then turn on the pump. When you get Clorox smell at each faucet shut the pumps off and wait 24 hours.

Then drain and flush with chlorinated city water. Done.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 03:21 PM   #4
Sherlock

I had the same question when setting up my 2012 GT 378TS. I took a small hose, poured in the mixture using a funnel & then finished filling the tank with city water. After several hours I drained the tank & flushed with fresh water. You should do this when new & then at least once a year thereafter.
Old 04-28-2012, 04:45 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by norwood12800 View Post
I had the same question when setting up my 2012 GT 378TS. I took a small hose, poured in the mixture using a funnel & then finished filling the tank with city water. After several hours I drained the tank & flushed with fresh water. You should do this when new & then at least once a year thereafter.

Sounds like a simple solution. Great!
Old 04-28-2012, 07:04 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
What if you have well water at home and all the parks you visit? Is this step critical?
Hybrid21SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 07:15 PM   #7

FW tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
Good question on how and where you can add the bleach.. Humm
If I had to do it I think this is how.
If you check the compartment oustside with the water tankk and pump I believe you will find a white hose that looks like it is coming off the top of the tank and it had a threaded plug at the end of it.

I would take that and open it and raise it above the tank and use a funnel to add the bleach. Then go to the other side and fill the tank full of water. I will check and see if I have a picture onf mine.

Could someone verify if I'm correct or ?
Iggy
The plugged hose is actually an alternate suction to the water pump. Its used mostly for adding anti-freeze while winterizing. The three way valve in the pic will allow it to change from tank suct to your bucket or jug.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 08:32 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceU View Post
Iggy
The plugged hose is actually an alternate suction to the water pump. Its used mostly for adding anti-freeze while winterizing. The three way valve in the pic will allow it to change from tank suct to your bucket or jug.

Ohhhh. I will have to remember that this coming winter here in Arizona.
Did you know it actuallyget as low as 45 degrees here in the winter.
Old 04-28-2012, 08:36 PM   #9

How about removing the water filter, filling the empty bowl with the mixture, then adding water through the city water fill? All water entering the mh goes through the water filter (according to the manual).

Forrest
2011 Georgetown 378TS
2011 Ford Escape V-6 4X4
fbconsults is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 09:46 PM   #10
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbconsults View Post
How about removing the water filter, filling the empty bowl with the mixture, then adding water through the city water fill? All water entering the mh goes through the water filter (according to the manual).

Forrest
This will not sanitize the holding tank.
Old 04-28-2012, 09:48 PM   #11
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hybrid21SS View Post
What if you have well water at home and all the parks you visit? Is this step critical?
The problem with well water is two fold. One it has silt in it which will clog your filters over time. Two the lack of chlorine will allow the build up of bacteria and algae also over time.

Monthly sensitization is most likely in your future.
Old 04-28-2012, 10:17 PM   #12

Herk has the best answer...Put some bleach into an EMPTY hose connected to your fresh water fill. Connect hose to spigot. Put water in tank. That's how I do it and it is simple...

Life is a journey, not a destination.
2005 Georgetown 359ts
Bill & Virginia, Kentucky
Nights camped in 2011...78 , 2012...73,
Nights camped in 2013...123, 2014 ...101
bend302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 12:07 AM   #13

Duh. How about if you hook it to the city water fill? I don't know if that goes through the water filter or not.

Forrest
2011 Georgetown 378TS
2011 Ford Escape V-6 4X4
fbconsults is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 02:37 AM   #14
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbconsults View Post
Duh. How about if you hook it to the city water fill? I don't know if that goes through the water filter or not.

Forrest
It does, but there is a check valve in the water pump that will prevent the water pump and everything before it from being sanitized. You won't sanitize your fresh water tank; all the hoses including the fresh water tank vent line; and the pump pre-filter basket.
Old 04-29-2012, 06:59 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
I had to flush mine twice to get all of the bleach smell out of it . . .
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 07:49 AM   #16

Curious, where do you typically do the sanitation at? For those of you who live in the suburbs, are you doing this in your driveway? Also, how do you know how often this needs to be performed? Is there an smell that you're looking for? My concern is my MH will be sitting in 90+ degrees for a month at a time. I know what my swimming pool would look like if I left it sitting there for this long.... As a precaution, I plan to take drinking water with us on our trips.
lochsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 08:11 AM   #17
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by lochsa View Post
Curious, where do you typically do the sanitation at? For those of you who live in the suburbs, are you doing this in your driveway? Also, how do you know how often this needs to be performed? Is there an smell that you're looking for? My concern is my MH will be sitting in 90+ degrees for a month at a time. I know what my swimming pool would look like if I left it sitting there for this long.... As a precaution, I plan to take drinking water with us on our trips.
I do mine in the driveway. First of all it does not take a lot of bleach to do a sanitization. You probably use more bleach when you do your wash.

Algae does not grow in the dark. If your tank is covered you won't have that worry, but bacteria can and will grow in the dark. Chlorine will degrade with sunlight and evaporation and neither is a problem in a closed system like your RV. Once you have chlorinated water in your tank again, it should be no more dangerous than the water in your house pipes.

The problem comes when you drain it for winterization. Empty pipes and tanks are breeding grounds for bacteria and need to be sanitized before use. RV (non-toxic) antifreeze is great at keeping stuff from freezing but not so great at preventing bacteria growth. After dewinterizing you must sanitize to have a healthy fresh water system.

If you use well water in your fresh water system, there is obviously more chance for bacteria growth and I believe the suggestion is a monthly sanitization to keep it safe. (I would use bottled water for drinking in this case anyway).

As an aside, I carry distilled water for the Tassimo coffee maker as it triples the life of the internal filter.
Old 04-30-2012, 08:42 AM   #18

As a side note, after running bleach through ours, I run about a half-cup of baking soda (mixed with a gallon of water first) through to eliminate the bleach smell. Works like a charm!

fordmantpw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 02:41 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordmantpw
As a side note, after running bleach through ours, I run about a half-cup of baking soda (mixed with a gallon of water first) through to eliminate the bleach smell. Works like a charm!
Good idea! Thanks.