Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-30-2011, 06:35 PM   #1

fresh water tank sterilization

georgetown 300
how is the bleach solution supposed to get into the tank ,my water inlet seems to have a spring loaded valve and i cant get my solution past it i finally poured it into a 50 foot hose and pumped it in, is there a better way?
rogann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 10:12 PM   #2
Anacortesians

I have the same problem on my GT 325. I'm in the process of making a bleach injector. I got a 24" length of Schedule 40 PVC drain pipe (supposedly good for 600 psi!). I figure 24" at 4" i/d will give me more than a gallon capacity.

On one end, I'm building up glue-together adaptors to step down from the 4" pipe to a male garden hose size. On the other end, I've put a threaded adaptor so I can open it up to pour in the bleach and that adaptor also goes down to a garden-hose thread, this time a female connector. I haven't found all the adaptors yet.

The plan is to hook a short length of potable water hose to the end with the male adaptor and connect it to the potable water intake. I'll then stand the injector up on a tripod of some kind (design TBD), pour in a gallon of bleach, screw in the upstream adapator assembly and hook up a hose from an outside yard faucet to the injector. I can then turn the water on at the faucet. It will blow the bleach into the tank and then follow up with enough water to fill it. I could also use my air compressor to just blow the bleach in.

I then drive around for a few miles to give it a good sloshing and drain the tank. A couple of fills with clean water and some sodium bicarb, followed by another sloshing and drain trip each time and I hope we'll be good for the season.

We have such good quality water in Anacortes (among the top 5 cities in the US, so they reckon) we usually go out with a full tank. On our final trip last season, we got some slightly off-flavored water at a campground, just enough to get us home. Unfortunately it contaminated the tank.

When I've tried out this contraption, I'll post some photos.

Frank
Old 05-01-2011, 06:49 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

How about something like this: Fertilizer Injectors, Siphon Mixers and Hose End Sprayers at Home Harvest Garden Supply

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 07:04 AM   #4
Site Team - Lou

Well ain't THAT the "cat's Meow"!
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 08:47 AM   #5

Actually fellows, what is wrong with putting it into the hose... I just add a little more than is called for and bingo.......now the hose is treated as well..
polkatronron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 10:37 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

I do sterilize my hoses also, but with a diluted mixture. Then I hook the hoses up to the camper and run that water through it to sterilize the city water portion of the system.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 09:07 PM   #7

I had the same issue last year and ended up doing what Polkatronron suggested. Worked great and nobody got sick from our on board water.
RANGERBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 04:19 PM   #8
Anacortesians

The weight placard for my rig indicates that the capacity of the potable tank is 61 gallons. Can anyone confirm that?

The other thing I'd like to find is a copy of what the generic Frest River Recreational Vehicle Owner's Guide calls "your vehicle-specific literature". Any ideas? The original owner of my rig was very careful to keep and pass on to me all the books and brochures that came with his purchase. I can't find that particular item.
Old 05-05-2011, 01:31 PM   #9

Should this be annual event, or is there some "rule" about how often to sanitize the fresh water tank and plumbing? Still new to all of this and every time I see a new maintenance post I get more questions!!
thanks....
Old 05-05-2011, 02:14 PM   #10
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue283 View Post
Should this be annual event, or is there some "rule" about how often to sanitize the fresh water tank and plumbing? Still new to all of this and every time I see a new maintenance post I get more questions!!
thanks....
I sanitize mine every year 1/4 cup bleach to every 15 gallons of water. I have a whole house filter set-up at my outdoor faucet. I unscrew the cartridge holder. Pour 1-1/2 cups of bleach in it, reinstall the cylinder minus filter and connect the hose. I have a 80 gallon tank so I fill it up. Once it's full I turn on my pump and start opening faucets. once i smell the bleach at the sinks and toilet and shower I turn off the faucet and pump. I leave it sit over night then I rinse out the lines. Once I'm down to 1/3 tank I usually add some water back in. I generally travel with about 20-25 gallons of water in the tank.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 10:03 AM   #11
Anacortesians

Charlie:

I'm glad I re-read the Owner's Manaul again after your post. I'd read it as 1/4 cup per gallon of tank capacity. The book actually says make up a solution at 1/4 cup/gallon of water then use the solution at a rate of 1 gallon per 15 gallons of tank capacity.

I'd started to make an injector to put one gallon of bleach into my 61-gallon tank. I guess I only need one cup of bleach!
Old 05-06-2011, 10:55 AM   #12
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by F and E Damp View Post
Charlie:

I'm glad I re-read the Owner's Manaul again after your post. I'd read it as 1/4 cup per gallon of tank capacity. The book actually says make up a solution at 1/4 cup/gallon of water then use the solution at a rate of 1 gallon per 15 gallons of tank capacity.

I'd started to make an injector to put one gallon of bleach into my 61-gallon tank. I guess I only need one cup of bleach!
Glad you caught it before adding a gallon of bleach to the tank. It wouldn't hurt anything as long as you rinsed it all out before anyone might drink it. You would use quite a bit of water to get it to a safe level though.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote