Old 05-24-2015, 02:09 PM   #11

Hello WayneT,
From all the replies I received so far, I have to assume that almost nobody ever followed the drain pipe back to where it is coming from and probably almost nobody has ever taken off the panel above the propane tank and on the other side, above the hydraulic pump to look at the freshwater tank. If you look at the pictures I have posted, you clearly see that there is no way to completely drain the fresh water tank with the current setup. I'm still scratching my head looking for a solution. Happy camping, Andy

Old 05-24-2015, 02:22 PM   #12

Hello WaneT,
In my last reply I forgot to mention the freezing aspect. I wouldn't be too much worried about that (most of the time I'm in British Columbia/Canada) as there is only about 20% water left in the tank after draining and there is enough room to expand for the ice build up. Additionally, there is no pressure in the tank like in a pipe. But I would definitely like to use the full amount of water when dry camping and would like to drain it completely when not in use! Happy camping, Andy

Old 05-24-2015, 03:07 PM   #13

Thanks CamperAndy,
That makes sense about not needing to worry about the water freezing. This is my first motorhome and I am still learning a lot. The suggestion from bubbles about using the levelers to lower the drain side also makes sense.

For sanitizing, since I keep my motorhome at a storage facility when I de-winterize, I take it to a nearby RV park with water and sewer hookup so its easy to fill and drain the fresh water tank several times after adding some chlorine bleach the night before. It doesn't really add too much effort to the de-winterizing process for me.
Old 05-24-2015, 03:28 PM   #14

Hello WayneT,
Thanks for your reply. Staying in a park with all hookups helps with the sanitation procedure, been there, done that. Working with the levellers helps too when draining the tank. However, I found out that I'm even able to lift the tank on the left side and push a water jug or a gallon bottle of windshield washer water under the tank. It lifts the tank that much that it even gets a lift on the right side and I have to push it down and squeeze something between the top of if it and the above RV floor. This way I'm almost able to empty the thank completely, especially when leaving the drain open and driving. The sloshing water eventually hits the drain and drains! It is just a hassle and a proper design would make it that much easier! Happy camping, Andy

Tags
drain, tank, water