Old 05-22-2015, 04:44 PM   #1

freshwatertank drain

Hello all,
I recently bought a 2006 Georgetown XL 359TS and am wondering how I can completely drain the freshwater tank? For certain periods of storage I would like to have the tank completely empty and dry to prevent any growth of bacteria or even algae. However, as the suction point of the water pump is more than an inch above the bottom of the thank, I can't really empty the tank. Why is there no drain at the lowest possible point? Any solutions? Happy camping, Andy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Freshwater05.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	288.9 KB
ID:	77724  

Old 05-22-2015, 06:40 PM   #2

There's a low water drain for the tank. Should be under the coach and have a screw in plug it it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

2015 Charleston 430RB
Billr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 07:58 PM   #3

Hello Billr,
Thanks for your reply. I have found the low point drains and am familiar with those. However, the cold water low point drain is about as high up at the thank as the suction point for the pump. See pictures. Therefore, no possibility to empty the tank totally. As I haven't found anything else to drain the tank, I'm at a loss how to do that. Happy camping, Andy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Freshwater09.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	273.4 KB
ID:	77728   Click image for larger version

Name:	Freshwater14.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	252.4 KB
ID:	77729  
Old 05-22-2015, 08:48 PM   #4

Yes there is your holding tank drain. You could run your opposite side levelers down (don't lower the tank drain side levelers) to get all the residual water in the tank to the drain port.
Old 05-22-2015, 11:39 PM   #5

Thank you bubbles,
but I don't understand why I shouldn't lower the tank drain side? That would exactly bring more water to the drain side, wouldn't it?
Additionally, if this is the only drain for the freshwater tank, it is impossible to drain all the water and there will always be some gallons of residual water in the tank, which is a health risk due to stagnant water and bacteria growth. I wonder why nobody sued Forest River yet as this is an obvious design fault! Happy camping, Andy
Old 05-23-2015, 12:52 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamperAndy View Post
Thank you bubbles,
but I don't understand why I shouldn't lower the tank drain side? That would exactly bring more water to the drain side, wouldn't it?
Additionally, if this is the only drain for the freshwater tank, it is impossible to drain all the water and there will always be some gallons of residual water in the tank, which is a health risk due to stagnant water and bacteria growth. I wonder why nobody sued Forest River yet as this is an obvious design fault! Happy camping, Andy

To ease your fears, you might want to sanitize your tank. Myself, I've never worried about any residual water.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Old 05-23-2015, 01:34 AM   #7

Thanks Krazymace,
I agree with you and have already done the sanitation. But then again, why not just install a real low point drain for the fresh water tank and solve the whole problem - and we wouldn't even have to talk abou it! Happy camping, Andy
Old 05-23-2015, 01:48 AM   #8

Yes he is right it's on passenger side where propane tank is take the screw out and it open valve
Old 05-23-2015, 01:49 AM   #9

And/or open value is what I meant to say
Old 05-23-2015, 05:46 PM   #10

I have wondered about this same question. I have a 2014 GT328TS and I would guess that when I drain the cold water low point drain there is still almost 20% of the water left in the tank. I asked the dealer about it when I had some warranty work done last year and he said that was just the way it is.

Besides the sanitation of the tank aspect, I wondered about how one would winterize it if you had very cold winters (I am on the Texas gulf coast so don't have that issue). It seems like there should be a drain at the very bottom of the tank.

Tags
drain, tank, water