Old 02-07-2015, 04:03 PM   #1

Fridge Options

Hubby and I have been shopping and really like the Georgetown bunkhouse models. So far, the only ones we have seen come with a residential fridge. With 4 kids, it really seemed like a good option for us. We will primarily be going on weekend trips with a few longer trips during the year. Our longer range plans have us moving in a couple years and possibly living in our motorhome until we get settled.

We're trying to think it thru and would love to hear others thoughts on the pros and cons of the residential fridge.

Fantastic husband, 2 daughters, 2 foster sons and 3 pups
http://worldofweeks.com/
2xaround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 04:10 PM   #2

We've had our Gtown for 14 months now. This is our first experience with a household fridge, but got to say - we love it! The hardest thing was to learn to turn on the inverter when traveling, since our RV fridges automatically transferred to propane. Love the size of it!

Old 02-07-2015, 06:04 PM   #3

When we purchased our 351 we hadn't even considered a residential refridgerator. However, the one we looked at had one in it so we decided to get it. Absolutely love it. We pretty much never dry camp so battery life isn't an issue for us. We also used to store half our beverages in one of the bay's if we were on a long trip and now we just go ahead and load them all in the fridge. The freezer also is a great place to store the alcohol. All of our camping friends can't get over having a refridgerator that size in an RV.
I wouldn't own another MH without one.
No cons for us but as I said we don't dry camp so we are either driving or plugged in.

Charleston SC
3 Boston Terriers, 1 Frenchie
Gonna miss you Toby. RIP
cjd10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 07:49 PM   #4

The only cons I can think of is battery life when dry camping and possibly an extra winterization step due to the ice maker/water dispenser...
Old 02-07-2015, 07:57 PM   #5

I have a 2012 and believe this was the last year FR installed the Dometic 4 door refrigerator. It runs on 120 volt shore power or propane.
It is quite large 4 door with ice maker and water in the door.
I'm sure the residential is nice but being able to use propane is good for us even when dry camping.
Here is a few pics of the Dometic 4 door I have.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Interior 004.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	210.2 KB
ID:	69281   Click image for larger version

Name:	Interior 097.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	163.8 KB
ID:	69282   Click image for larger version

Name:	Interior 112.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	225.2 KB
ID:	69283   Click image for larger version

Name:	Interior 098.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	170.1 KB
ID:	69284  

Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 08:48 PM   #6

Residential Fridge is great

The 4 door unit Iggy shows was our preference but also as Iggy pointed out was unavailable. So we opted for the residential vs the only other option - the 2 door Dometic.

Some times luck counts - we really enjoy the big fridge. We spend a lot of time in our 351DS - often with 3 grandchildren. The big, residential fridge makes it feel like home.

Some folks are concerned about time on the battery. We've spent a lot of time in military campgrounds - often in "overflow". That means dry camping. We cut off our generator at 10:00 PM and cannot cut it back on until 7:00 AM. The battery indicators often say full or 2/3 charge in the morning. My estimate is about 36 hours. I also understand that the 2015 351 comes with a 2000 watt invertor with 4 house batteries - so that probably helps.

Our recommendation - unless you can trade Iggy out of his 4 door - go with the residential fridge - you won't be sorry.
Old 02-07-2015, 11:42 PM   #7

I have the same one as Iggy and thought about going full residential. We do not dry camp so don't have to worry about batteries. If this one goes out then I would get one.
&
Our Baby Dachshund
Cammie
ramair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 10:05 AM   #8

I have the same as Iggy and am very satisfied. Not sure I want the more complicated systems to support a residential type.
Old 02-08-2015, 05:45 PM   #9

We have owned our 351DS for over a year now with the residential frig and always have our 2 kids with us. We came out of a trailer trailer with smaller Dometic dual source frig. We usually go camping with at least 30 amp service so never an issue with frig power and inverter covers us between shore power outlets. The space the residential gives us is huge advantage esp as we do not tow a toad so once we get there we need to insure our menus are well planned. Never an issue with the larger frig! The ice maker feature is a nice plus too.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1423435359.799957.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	79.2 KB
ID:	69318

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Old 02-08-2015, 06:18 PM   #10

I'm really glad to hear so many are happy with the residential fridge. So far, we haven't seen a Class A in our price range that we like more than the Georgetown 351DS and I haven't seen one without the residential fridge.

Fantastic husband, 2 daughters, 2 foster sons and 3 pups
http://worldofweeks.com/
2xaround is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fridge