Old 03-20-2014, 09:00 PM   #1
Happy Member

From west to east trip

We are planning a trip in June from California to Georgia......
looking for tips, experiences, recommendations on roads, places to stay overnight, road conditions, crosswinds, hills, grades, watch-outs, names of state troopers or CHP's if you know any (JK), etc.

traveling with little ones, so places to stop along the way will be welcome.
Haven't decided what route to take yet but as you can see, started to do homework on it.

Thank you

2013 FR GT 351DFS
GT4six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 09:06 PM   #2

Have you picked a route yet?

Old 03-20-2014, 10:51 PM   #3
Happy Member

We're thinking 40 all the way...

Good? or Bad?
2013 FR GT 351DFS
Old 03-21-2014, 06:54 AM   #4

If you end up needing an overnighter in Amarillo, the Amarillo Ranch is a good 'overnight' park. They have gravel lots that are pretty level. Make sure you call ahead and get a reservation, they do a lot of business during travel season. We have stayed there twice, it's nothing spectacular but a good place to get off the road for the day.

'Pa Pa's Palace'

2014 Sportscoach Crosscountry 405FK
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
CSMRetired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 02:39 PM   #5
Happy Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSMRetired View Post
If you end up needing an overnighter in Amarillo, the Amarillo Ranch is a good 'overnight' park. They have gravel lots that are pretty level. Make sure you call ahead and get a reservation, they do a lot of business during travel season. We have stayed there twice, it's nothing spectacular but a good place to get off the road for the day.
Cool, We'll write that one down so we can have it on our notes...we might stay there depending on the plans - I haven't sat down yet on how many hours I'll be driving per day but at the same time we want to take about a week and a half getting there...no rush but keep on driving to get there without killing ourselves.

Thanks!
2013 FR GT 351DFS
Old 03-21-2014, 02:45 PM   #6

Several options for staying over in Nashville - 2 Rivers Campground, Jellystone Park and KOA are side by side, with a Camping World and another great RV dealer sandwiched between. If you like music, lots of options for that too, just PM me as you get closer. We live just across the river.
Buck & Patsy, the boston-mix guard dogs
43D18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 02:49 PM   #7

40 is so pretty through Tennessee. Jellystone is great for the little ones. Also, if your family is into it, you go right past Graceland My DH is Elvis nut!

N. TX and N. VA
tbob777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 02:58 PM   #8

I thought I'd be able to help, since I've made the trip about 10 times on the 40 and eight on the 10, depending on time of year, but I only had four days to make it.

I worked for Northrop, and drove to St. Augustine once or twice a year towing a fiver with all my personal stuff, test equipment and some spares. They only allowed four days to make the trip.

The 40 is definitely the most scenic (after you get to Flagstaff), but the 10 with all the big-city bypasses is faster, and about 10 miles shorter, starting from Palmdale.

We used to drive to the Meteor Crater CG, east of Flagstaff, for the first night, A KOA just East of Okie City for the second night, and one of three or four rest stops around Huntsville, for the third. They're nice and quiet in Alabama, and patrolled.
1984 19.5' Beachcraft i/o 5.o liter, 4-bbl (and you thought your Moho sucked gas!)
D/W Carole and Maggie the Teacup Lab (Black Chihuahua)
Freds342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 05:29 PM   #9
Happy Member

Thanks Partners, Lots of good info!

I appreciatte all the input and we're taking notes....we're looking at June to make the trip and want to make sure we're prepared (lots of nerves)....

Keep them coming
2013 FR GT 351DFS
Old 03-21-2014, 05:31 PM   #10
Happy Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freds342 View Post
I thought I'd be able to help, since I've made the trip about 10 times on the 40 and eight on the 10, depending on time of year, but I only had four days to make it.

I worked for Northrop, and drove to St. Augustine once or twice a year towing a fiver with all my personal stuff, test equipment and some spares. They only allowed four days to make the trip.

The 40 is definitely the most scenic (after you get to Flagstaff), but the 10 with all the big-city bypasses is faster, and about 10 miles shorter, starting from Palmdale.

We used to drive to the Meteor Crater CG, east of Flagstaff, for the first night, A KOA just East of Okie City for the second night, and one of three or four rest stops around Huntsville, for the third. They're nice and quiet in Alabama, and patrolled.
Which one is easier to drive (or easeir on the driver?), less hills/grades?

2013 FR GT 351DFS