Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-13-2014, 06:54 PM   #1

Front air/heat problem

Just returned to Florida from Maine. First night on the road was cold in Vermont. Turned the thermostat to heat and furnace came on fine but so did front ac fan. Disconnect shore power and furnace runs fine on 12v system and front ac fan stays off. Bad thermostat? Rest of trip was warm and didn't need furnace (used small electric heater in bedroom at night). Thinking about adding a second thermostat for furnace only. Any trouble shooting advice?

Also we were surprised at the many motor homes we saw disabled on this trip. Most were older but some were obviously new coaches. Quite a few had blown tires. It was hot by the time we reached Va, but not that hot. My coach is now 3 years old. Have read tires should be replaced after 5 regardless of tread depth. Opinions on this?
BillMFl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 07:04 PM   #2

Seven years is the general guideline for replacing tires, assuming they've been rotated and hopefully protected from UV while in storage.

As for your front fan kicking on while the furnace is on - I'm afraid I can't help on that one. Maybe make sure your fan is not set to "on" but rather "auto". But honestly I wasn't aware you could run both furnace and roof top fans at same time.
Buck & Patsy, the boston-mix guard dogs
43D18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 07:07 PM   #3

Don't know the details of thermostat, AC etc but make sure the thermostat is in Auto mode. This question has been brought up many times and usually pertained to a Dometic thermostat. As far as I know the AC won't run on 12V at all. I may be wrong but that may be the reason it did not come on when you disconnected shore power.

2013 Ford F-350 SD Diesel, 4X4, Crew Cab, Lariat
Sabre 2014 32RCTS, Pullrite Superglide 2900 18K
Davidceder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 07:42 PM   #4

If you turn on front thermostat on that will happen every time. We have a 351 and the only way to get just the heat is to use the rear thermostat. Also make sure just to set thermostat to heat only.
Watertown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 10:11 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidceder View Post
Don't know the details of thermostat, AC etc but make sure the thermostat is in Auto mode. This question has been brought up many times and usually pertained to a Dometic thermostat. As far as I know the AC won't run on 12V at all. I may be wrong but that may be the reason it did not come on when you disconnected shore power.
Like Davidceder says this is a popular question.

When running the furnace you have to have the "Fan" speed set to "AUTO" not high or low.

ab&jb
Old 10-13-2014, 10:27 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by abjb View Post
Like Davidceder says this is a popular question.

When running the furnace you have to have the "Fan" speed set to "AUTO" not high or low.

ab&jb

Thanks! It was set on high.Will try auto in the morning.
BillMFl is offline   Reply With Quote