Old 08-12-2014, 03:46 PM   #1

Front alignment specs

So I had my 2007 XL349 (2006 Ford chassis) Class A motorhome aligned last month after installing 6 new tires and before my trip to Sturgis. Here is the printout. The coach still seems to wander a little, but I have to say it handles better than before the alignment (tires were toed out). Question #1.... they set one side at neutral and one side 1/32" in....do you think I should have it reset to 1/32" in on both tires? Question #2....do these caster / camber numbers look ok or do I need to pursue an alignment at a different, more experienced shop?

Appreciate any input.

Jaye (Mn)

By the way....Sturgis was great...my 10th year attending. Have my reservations firmed up for next year and the Coach ran great out and back.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Copy of Align results, 7-15-14.pdf (239.9 KB, 103 views)

Old 08-12-2014, 07:52 PM   #2

Send a message via Skype™ to Falcon35
I don't know why did it the way they did. When the Ford dealer could not do ours they sent me to a large tire shop. They had the specs and did them to that and my tires are not showing uneven wear. Regarding the wander have you done Cheap Hanging Fix? Do a search and on and this forum and also on iRV2 and you will find that a lot of us have had a good experience with it.

Protect-A-Tow
Falcon35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 09:34 PM   #3

Ya, CHF done last year. Installed rear trac bar prior to Sturgis trip, as well. Front tire pressure at 85, rear at 90...both above Mich. inflation pressures according to weight. It just seems to wander like a snake going down the road which requires constant steering input to keep it straight. Now winds or even breezes are a different animal and multiply the input needed. Before anyone says anything about this being a big billboard....yes, I understand that. Just wondering what others have had their front ends set at, compared to mine.

Thanks.

Jaye (MN)
Old 08-14-2014, 01:33 PM   #4

Sorry can help you there but my 2012 378XL has no issues with wandering I have done the CHF on the back but have not done the front yet. Have 14000 miles on her and tires all look the same, as far as wearing (nothing showing). May be a luck one with no issues. I run my tires at 90-95psi front and 95-100psi in the rear, you may try adjusting the pressures and see if this helps.
&
Our Baby Dachshund
Cammie
ramair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 04:23 PM   #5
CLASS "A" Senior Member

We have the same year chassis. One of our former members located a 1" steel shim on the driver's side rear on his coach which caused it to lean. At that time the FR rep John Armstrong authorized removal on the shim. I checked mine as well and found one there as well. He authorized the removal and a front end check. It seems that FR had this done for a particular model but it ended up on other ones by mistake. Never found out which model the shim was needed for but I have mine in the shed at home. I'm no expert but that may be the reason behind the settings they set it to.???

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 03:34 PM   #6

Would like to bump this up....still looking for a response from someone with a similar year / size F53 chassis who has an alignment printout. Would like to compare the toe-in results. I still wonder if I might have better "driveability" with both steers set at 1/32 toe-in.

Jaye(Mn)
Old 08-20-2014, 03:42 PM   #7
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnflyboy View Post
...they set one side at neutral and one side 1/32" in....do you think I should have it reset to 1/32" in on both tires? ...
From what I understand, it won't make any difference on the road as you will correct it with the steering wheel and both wheels will end up 1/64" toed in. Increasing caster by 1/4 to 1/2 degree will stop the wandering.
Old 08-20-2014, 03:53 PM   #8
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I'd definitely take tire pressure to max sidewall rating.

I'm not sure of the tire size but it seems most are in the 100 psi range on up to 120 psi.

TURBS

"SABRE OWNERS UNITED"
Old 08-21-2014, 07:47 AM   #9

235/80-22.5 Tires. Running about 80-85psi in front and 90 on the rears and have been experimenting with tire pressures. When I had the new Michelins put on mid May, the tire people aired them to 100psi (sidewall max) and it really moved around then, but that was before the alignment, too. I really hate how it rides with 100 psi in the tires....did that last summer before moving down to 90 on all tires. Summer is winding down up here in Minnesota, so maybe next spring I need to try a different alignment shop or at least make some calls. Around here I have to drive 60 miles to the big town to get anything done to the bus.

Appreciate all the replies. I'll get this thing dialed in eventually.

Jaye(Mn)
Old 08-21-2014, 10:10 AM   #10

Send a message via Skype™ to Falcon35
I took my Georgetown to a truck scale and then using the Michelin Load & Inflation Tables I discovered that the suggested pressure is 90 pounds. So now I'm running them at 95 pounds just to be on the safe side. Those tables can easily be found on the Internet. To use these tables you do need at least the individual axle weights. It is also necessary to have the size and model number of your tire.

Protect-A-Tow
Falcon35 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alignment