Old 04-02-2016, 12:20 PM   #1
Front Barrel Chair Removal

On my 328 TS I have a barrel chair directly behind the front passenger seat.

Has anyone removed this chair? It seems like you would gain a lot more floor space and you could then turn the passenger seat all the way around and use it as an additional lounge chair and even have space for an ottoman. With the barrel chair in place turning the passenger chair really doesn't seem to accomplish much.

The only disadvantages I see can see are:

1 - you lose a potential passenger seat because it has a seat belt.
2 - you would need to fill in the bolt holes in the floor.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

(Ron & Karin)
2015 Georgetown 328TS
rkulbok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 01:29 PM   #2
The floorplan of our 2010 Georgetown 330TS had the same barrel chair installed. Part of the condition of our purchase was to have the dealer remove the chair and associated seat belts. The original flooring had to be replaced before sale too. In it's place we have a portable studio chair with matching ottoman.

1. Agree.......the initial position of the barrel chair made flexibility of using the passenger seat impossible. Besides......who would want to sit there facing sideways going down the highway while always having to lean forward to look around the co-pilot seat?

2. We didn't mind losing a seat belt and potential passenger position........we never planned on transporting that many people that we couldn't do without.

3. Filling in the holes would be the least of concerns, (think colored plugs or doweling) but we didn't have to deal with it because our flooring was replaced.

4. The studio chair and ottoman gives all kinds of seating flexibility. While travelling down the road, it sits directly behind the co-pilot seat with the ottoman turned upside down on the additional loss of floor space than you have today.

Definitely we'd do it hesitation.

Ken and Terry
2010 Georgetown 330TS being pushed by our
2017 GMC Terrain toad (4 wheels down)
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 01:13 PM   #3
On my Mirada, the chair and passenger seat interfered with each other. Neither the passenger seat or the barrel could be rotated or adjusted.

I looked at removong the seat, but I liked it. I also looked at relocating the pedistal toward the rear by 3 or 4 inches, but there were to many things on the punder the pedestal frame.

In the end, I removed the seat from the pedestal, then made a new mount plate that effectively moves the seat toward the rear by three inches. I removed the seat belt hardware as I don't think the seat mount is crash safe, and I prefer no one sits in it while traveling.

Moving chair aft to get it away from passenger seat | 2001 Coachmen Mirada 300QB

2001 Coachmen Mirada (Ford F53 6.8L V10) - Toad 2001 Civic
It won't do MACH 2, but I can get a sandwich and take a pee.
waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 02:14 PM   #4
I am planning on removing mine also, The seat is useless. It is uncomfortable, the person has to hang over sideways to see around the passenger and I do not carry that many people. If I did, I could always throw it back in. In fact, I was looking at removing it this weekend. I was wondering if you could get some sort of plastic plug to fill the holes.
2016 Days Camping = 12
2015 Days Camping = 48
New: 2015 Forest River Georgetown 328TS
2016 Equinox Tow Vehicle
old: 2013 FR Rockwood 2318G w/ 2001 Ford F250 4X4 Diesel
compman69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 06:08 PM   #5
Just put the bolts back in that go through the flooring
jerryhowell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 04:55 PM   #6
Didn't take me long to come to the same conclusion..! I screwed it to a piece of plywood and it now resides in our bedroom..!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	400.9 KB
ID:	104270  
jd-ford-hd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 12:08 PM   #7
Thank you all for the Suggestion! I have since removed my useless chair and moved it to the Man Cave.
I bought shorter bolts and put them in the holes as the original were toooooo long. I have since taken a trip without it. WE LOVED having the extra room. Bought a nice throw rug there to cover bolts. Put small cooler and shoes there.
Thank you again for your suggestions.

2016 Days Camping = 12
2015 Days Camping = 48
New: 2015 Forest River Georgetown 328TS
2016 Equinox Tow Vehicle
old: 2013 FR Rockwood 2318G w/ 2001 Ford F250 4X4 Diesel
compman69 is offline   Reply With Quote