Old 06-05-2013, 04:16 PM   #11

Call Ford Motorhome in Texas at 1469-524-5224
Ask for Kristen. She will give you address or fax . They forward all the stuff to Forest River. I received two payments so far for outside work.
As for the steering wheel , Iggy, darn if I know but it is dead center now with SafeTPlus heavy duty shock. (The 240 lb one)

Jayco Greyhawk 31ds 2012
Alan JS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 06:27 PM   #12

Wheel alignment done today...wow..what a difference!!! I have appt tomorrow with a large vehicle Ford service for king pins with excessive play as well..at 2600 miles the alignment person at the heavy truck alignment place said that the play in both kingpins indicated excessive play..and he would have expected that at 50,000 to 60,000 miles but not at new. the alignment was so far off....he likened it to the front tires pointing towards each other like an arrow. No wonder it was so hard to control on the highway. Also for Iggy, he said ford would have to adjust the steering wheel that is like yours off to the right...he showed me where..it is in his description on my receipt stated R & R potman arm at gear box to center wheel. Hope that helps

Old 06-12-2013, 06:39 PM   #13
Berkshire 390QS

On the safe t plus web site there is a video on how to center it. It's pretty simple if you don't mind gettng under you coach with a couple of wrenches.
Skip
NO3putt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 06:57 PM   #14

Thanks No3Putt...was speaking of the steering wheel itself.. sorry..I wasnt describing it right maybe
Old 06-13-2013, 09:21 AM   #15

Why can't Forest River verify alignment when it leaves their factory. We are spending more than $100000. How difficult can it be? They either don't give a sh*t or are too cheap.
Can't always blame Ford although when the wheels are very misaligned they never checked either. It becomes dangerous to drive safely on the highway.
Jayco Greyhawk 31ds 2012
Alan JS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 12:23 AM   #16

Wheel alignment

I just had a wheel alignment done. What a difference. It was way out alignment.
After fixing the toe in, which was over a quarter inch toe in and adjusting something else that I forget, made my steering wheel straighten back to center position. The camber was also way off.
The repair man didn't even have to reposition the steering wheel. Drives like a dream. We will be taken another long trip to Florida next week and I am hoping it will drive better. It drove home great, about 20 miles.
Before this alignment I was thinking of installing a steering stabilizer but not now.
If anyone would like to know what they did just message me and I will look at the paper work and let you know.
Old 07-01-2013, 02:14 PM   #17

I have a 2013 351DS and found the white knuckle driving very troubling. After having a full alignment (the rear axle was not squared and the front end was way out of Ford spec) the drive improved significantly. However, I was still concerned with the excessive sway and lack of control in high winds and passing trucks. After researching a variety of options, including steer safe products, alternate shocks, etc. I found the Ford Cheap Handling Fix on irv2.com and thought it worth a try. I had my local Bridgeway dealer make the adjustment and have driven approx 1000 miles since. The improvement was significant and I can now drive with one hand in a moderate cross wind and while passing a truck.

FYI: I also had all the wheels balanced after the alignment while the local truck tire dealer replaced all the valve stems with custom stems (No extensions for me and all easily accessible for checking). Although the balance did not improve the ride as much as the alignment and sway bar change, I believe it does contribute to the exceptional ride.

The alignment cost me $630. Squaring the rear axle was expensive and I had them fix the offset steering wheel (15 degrees). 6 hours of work . I submitted it to FR and did not get a reimbursement. The sway bar change was $200. Tires balanced and new valve stems $340
Old 07-01-2013, 02:50 PM   #18

Reset the Steering wheel to center

Hi Iggy,

I watched the alignment and the mechanic (who knew his stuff) pointed out that there is only one center link tie rod on the front end. On smaller vehicles there is one for each side. On the smaller ones you center the steering wheel by adjusting the two tie rods so the wheel is centered, with the single there is no centering. The way Ford does it is by pulling the steering wheel and repositioning it on the splined column shaft so it is centered.

It is not complicated. Remove two screws from the back of the wheel to remove the cross piece. Take the nut off of the shaft and pull it with a steering wheel puller. Be careful not to pull it off so far as to loose the horn clock spring. Reposition the wheel to straight ahead and retorque everything. 15 minutes time.