Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-18-2012, 03:10 PM   #1

Front end and steering stabilizers

After reading so many posts about steering stabilizers, before our last trip up the Florida coast we had the original RV dealer in Stuart Florida install the Safe T Plus . As suggested we went for the larger size (230 lb) shock with appropriate kit. I did notice less road play while traveling back home on the Florida Turnpike but the steering wheel was turned at least 20 degrees clockwise and I had to fight the 378 Georgetown to keep it straight.
From my understanding it should have been running in lane with "hands off" for at least a few hundred feet on level road but wasn't. With the RV dealership 75 miles away I decided to take the advice of many and start from the beginning.
There is a large Ford Dealership between Ft. Lauderdale and Miami that is capable of handling MH and trucks so I brought it over. First I told them to check the front end alignment which should be covered under warranty. There is only 2200 miles on the 2013. Second I want them to readjust the Safe T Plus on a LEVEL ROAD.
I believe the dealer did a rush job and did not calibrate the stabilizer on the front end causing me to continually drive the MH back to center.
The steering stabilizer does a good job of resisting passing tractor trailers and wind but being off center is a chore. As a new MH driver the only real constant concern is when there are miles of highway construction leaving you with uneven tire tracks and and unlevel pavement.
You end up bouncing all over the place and hopefully don't end up against the concrete barriers. Best advice is to realize the Georgetown is awkward and to slow down!
Thanks to everyone who advised me to start my MH ownership with a front end alignment. Steering stabilizers don't correct faulty steering.
(Also asked the Ford dealer to put in rigid valve extenders)
Jayco Greyhawk 31ds 2012
Alan JS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 03:19 PM   #2

Is this normal to be done on a new MH?
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 03:56 PM   #3

I have a 2012 378TX XL and all I needed was Ford to do a frontend alignment when it was new. Forest River told me to have it done and they will pay. I have had no problems at all since and I have almost 10,000 miles on my MH.
The wall sticker says the tires need 90 psi which I have used the past 5,000 miles but have recently increased to 100 psi because the tires seemed to squat a little. I'm not over weight but like a more stable ride as well as more stable when setup camping.
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 05:56 PM   #4

The Ford service advisor seemed inclined to agree that putting a large motorhome on top of a F53 chassis will frequently change the alignment. Apparently that would be warranteed as you had done, Iggy.
Reubenray, including messages from Iggy, I got repeated suggestions above any other be sure to make an appt with a truck shop, tire shop or Ford dealer to evaluate front end.
Jayco Greyhawk 31ds 2012
Old 06-04-2013, 09:36 AM   #5

I too have that same issue.
My 378's steering is off about 20 degrees clockwise.
It seems to be a problem to keep it running down the middle of the road even on level road and no wind.
Who should I contact to see is Forrest River will correct the steering wheel issue?
wrapperman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 09:55 AM   #6

Wow. I actually have an appointment with a local RV repair shop to install the safe t plus steering stabalizer and the roadmaster rear sway bar on Friday. They are putting it on my 352qs. Makes me wonder if I should spend that kind of money putting it on if you guys say it doesn't really work.
Htab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 05:33 AM   #7

Forest River reimbursed me 100% for wheel alignment and front end work. Except for installation of sare t plus which is mine they were totally on the ball.
Go to a major truck shop (not Ford nonsense) and get a full alignment:front and back! THen install stabilizer. You will feel safer immediately..I could feel stabilizer with trucks passing , wind, and road curvature.
Jayco Greyhawk 31ds 2012
Old 06-05-2013, 05:35 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrapperman View Post
I too have that same issue.
My 378's steering is off about 20 degrees clockwise.
It seems to be a problem to keep it running down the middle of the road even on level road and no wind.
Who should I contact to see is Forrest River will correct the steering wheel issue?
BTW I also had them straighten out the cock eyed steering wheel to 12 o clock. It annoyed me too.
Jayco Greyhawk 31ds 2012
Old 06-05-2013, 08:39 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan JS View Post
BTW I also had them straighten out the cock eyed steering wheel to 12 o clock. It annoyed me too.
Do you have any idea how they straightened the steering wheel back to high noon?

I have been looking and checking to see if it is steering linkage or adjusting the tie rods equally and opposite from each other.
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 01:02 PM   #10

How were you able to get repayment from Forest River? I will be scheduling this ASAP as white knuckles are not my idea of fun
hijustbeingme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 03:16 PM   #11

Call Ford Motorhome in Texas at 1469-524-5224
Ask for Kristen. She will give you address or fax . They forward all the stuff to Forest River. I received two payments so far for outside work.
As for the steering wheel , Iggy, darn if I know but it is dead center now with SafeTPlus heavy duty shock. (The 240 lb one)
Jayco Greyhawk 31ds 2012
Old 06-12-2013, 05:27 PM   #12

Wheel alignment done today...wow..what a difference!!! I have appt tomorrow with a large vehicle Ford service for king pins with excessive play as well..at 2600 miles the alignment person at the heavy truck alignment place said that the play in both kingpins indicated excessive play..and he would have expected that at 50,000 to 60,000 miles but not at new. the alignment was so far off....he likened it to the front tires pointing towards each other like an arrow. No wonder it was so hard to control on the highway. Also for Iggy, he said ford would have to adjust the steering wheel that is like yours off to the right...he showed me where..it is in his description on my receipt stated R & R potman arm at gear box to center wheel. Hope that helps
Old 06-12-2013, 05:39 PM   #13
Berkshire 390QS

On the safe t plus web site there is a video on how to center it. It's pretty simple if you don't mind gettng under you coach with a couple of wrenches.
NO3putt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 05:57 PM   #14

Thanks No3Putt...was speaking of the steering wheel itself.. sorry..I wasnt describing it right maybe
Old 06-13-2013, 08:21 AM   #15

Why can't Forest River verify alignment when it leaves their factory. We are spending more than $100000. How difficult can it be? They either don't give a sh*t or are too cheap.
Can't always blame Ford although when the wheels are very misaligned they never checked either. It becomes dangerous to drive safely on the highway.
Jayco Greyhawk 31ds 2012
Old 06-17-2013, 11:23 PM   #16

Wheel alignment

I just had a wheel alignment done. What a difference. It was way out alignment.
After fixing the toe in, which was over a quarter inch toe in and adjusting something else that I forget, made my steering wheel straighten back to center position. The camber was also way off.
The repair man didn't even have to reposition the steering wheel. Drives like a dream. We will be taken another long trip to Florida next week and I am hoping it will drive better. It drove home great, about 20 miles.
Before this alignment I was thinking of installing a steering stabilizer but not now.
If anyone would like to know what they did just message me and I will look at the paper work and let you know.
wrapperman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 01:14 PM   #17

I have a 2013 351DS and found the white knuckle driving very troubling. After having a full alignment (the rear axle was not squared and the front end was way out of Ford spec) the drive improved significantly. However, I was still concerned with the excessive sway and lack of control in high winds and passing trucks. After researching a variety of options, including steer safe products, alternate shocks, etc. I found the Ford Cheap Handling Fix on irv2.com and thought it worth a try. I had my local Bridgeway dealer make the adjustment and have driven approx 1000 miles since. The improvement was significant and I can now drive with one hand in a moderate cross wind and while passing a truck.

FYI: I also had all the wheels balanced after the alignment while the local truck tire dealer replaced all the valve stems with custom stems (No extensions for me and all easily accessible for checking). Although the balance did not improve the ride as much as the alignment and sway bar change, I believe it does contribute to the exceptional ride.

The alignment cost me $630. Squaring the rear axle was expensive and I had them fix the offset steering wheel (15 degrees). 6 hours of work . I submitted it to FR and did not get a reimbursement. The sway bar change was $200. Tires balanced and new valve stems $340
ifrpilot99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 01:50 PM   #18

Reset the Steering wheel to center

Hi Iggy,

I watched the alignment and the mechanic (who knew his stuff) pointed out that there is only one center link tie rod on the front end. On smaller vehicles there is one for each side. On the smaller ones you center the steering wheel by adjusting the two tie rods so the wheel is centered, with the single there is no centering. The way Ford does it is by pulling the steering wheel and repositioning it on the splined column shaft so it is centered.

It is not complicated. Remove two screws from the back of the wheel to remove the cross piece. Take the nut off of the shaft and pull it with a steering wheel puller. Be careful not to pull it off so far as to loose the horn clock spring. Reposition the wheel to straight ahead and retorque everything. 15 minutes time.
intercept is offline   Reply With Quote