Old 10-23-2013, 07:02 PM   #11
Happily Retired Member

I have a 2013 XL 378TS and it had a lot of body sway and was not a lot of fun to drive. After talking to Ford Chassis engineering about the sway bars adjustments, I changed front and rear sway bar adjustments to the rearmost stiffer position. On secondary road the ride is slightly stiffer but on the open road it is 100% different and a pleasure to drive. No body sway, good tracking, and a relaxing drive. I took about an hour to make the changes.

Old 10-24-2013, 07:42 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickeystamper View Post
I have a 2013 XL 378TS and it had a lot of body sway and was not a lot of fun to drive. After talking to Ford Chassis engineering about the sway bars adjustments, I changed front and rear sway bar adjustments to the rearmost stiffer position. On secondary road the ride is slightly stiffer but on the open road it is 100% different and a pleasure to drive. No body sway, good tracking, and a relaxing drive. I took about an hour to make the changes.
That's good to hear. I wonder why Ford or FR do not do that adjustment to begin with since everyone that has done it really likes it. I just drove our coach from the campsite to home and it was windy with lots of semi traffic. It was not pleasant at all. You do get better at predicting the sway with time, but it's a PITA. I just received my tiger trak in the mail and will be installing it this weekend. I also ordered the steersafe kit and will be doing the sway mod in the front.

Old 10-27-2013, 01:52 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickeystamper View Post

So judging from this, Ford was "OK" with the mod then? After reading the *very* long thread on the irv2.com forum, one individual pressed Ford on a response as to whether they would support the "cheap handling fix" and they replied that they do no recommend that. I'm tempted to do the change, just leery of something that could negate the chassis warranty.

There seems to be overwhelming support from end-users that the mod does improve handling, no doubt about that.

thx,
Mike
Buck & Patsy, the boston-mix guard dogs
43D18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 02:12 PM   #14

OK, I'm following this thread w/interest. I read enough cautions about the SteerSafe being exposed to the elements/possibly interfering when needing to work on front of chassis when being put on lift that I've decided against it.

So I'm going to get the following for my Georgetown 351DS:
1) TigerTrak rear sway bar, TT2401
2) TigerTrak TruCenter steering control, TC35160 - do I need a bracket for this? Which one?

I seriously considered the Safe-T-Plus (about half price). I haven't made my purchase yet, so not sure which model (41-140 vs. 41-180, the latter of which seems not available) to get.

Anybody can help make up my mind between the Safe-T-Plus and TruCenter? They seem similar products, w/the TruCenter being a tad bit more difficult to install because it needs wiring, but w/the plus of getting a push button to make alignment and re-alignment easy.
Old 10-27-2013, 02:15 PM   #15

Specifically, according to BlueOx website, looks like for Georgetown the bracket for TruCenter is either TC5804 or TC5807. Anybody know which one?
Old 10-27-2013, 02:56 PM   #16
Happily Retired Member

I was also following thee thread on this and was unsure of what to do. So, I called Ford Chassis Engineering my self. They told me that absolutely the sway bars are adjustable, that was why the extra hole was put in the bar. At the factory the bar is put in the less stiff position because they have no idea what the chassis will be used for. On my 2013 378TS, the handling on the highway had in my opinion way too much body sway in the wind, on curves and around semis. At times it was almost a white knuckler. After the adjustment, I have no issues, even passing a semi the body sway and handling are no problem, and an enjoyable drive. I couldn't believe the difference. If you try it and don't like it, changing it back. I don't know why it would give any warranty concerns, the adjustment is from the factory.
Old 10-27-2013, 03:32 PM   #17

I had the SteerSafe installed while passing thru Deming New Mexico.
It took about 30 minutes to do the Free install.
I have driven from Deming NM to Florida Keys and baclk to Arizona. Then from Arizona to Buffalo NY and back so we have about 12,000 miles on mine and I really enjoy the effortless steering keeping things straight down the road.

No interference with chassis...

Here are a few pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1996.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	41877   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2982.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	46.3 KB
ID:	41878   Click image for larger version

Name:	steersafepic1_061.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	41880  

Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 03:35 PM   #18

More pictures of the owner and helper installing them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Niagara Falls Jun2013 003.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	41881   Click image for larger version

Name:	Niagara Falls Jun2013 007.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	41882   Click image for larger version

Name:	Niagara Falls Jun2013 005.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	41883  

Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 07:20 PM   #19

I am puzzled by all these modifications. My 012 360DS handles just fine and tracks good. I get the occasional push from a fast moving semi but not extreme. Even with a 500 mile day I don't have fatigue due to handling problems. Nice relaxing ride There must be something wrong? Or did I just get lucky. My wife brings all her shoes, maybe its the extra weight.
Old 10-27-2013, 07:29 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillMFl View Post
I am puzzled by all these modifications. My 012 360DS handles just fine and tracks good. I get the occasional push from a fast moving semi but not extreme. Even with a 500 mile day I don't have fatigue due to handling problems. Nice relaxing ride There must be something wrong? Or did I just get lucky. My wife brings all her shoes, maybe its the extra weight.
Good one. I must admit...If I didn't know there was room for improvement from reading some of these threads, I'd likely be a happy camper with the coach just the way it came from the factory. This is our first class A, but to me the ride seems more refined and comfortable than our two previous class C coaches. We'll likely leave it alone for a the time being.

Buck & Patsy, the boston-mix guard dogs
43D18 is offline   Reply With Quote