Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-27-2013, 07:55 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillMFl View Post
I am puzzled by all these modifications. My 012 360DS handles just fine and tracks good. I get the occasional push from a fast moving semi but not extreme. Even with a 500 mile day I don't have fatigue due to handling problems. Nice relaxing ride There must be something wrong? Or did I just get lucky. My wife brings all her shoes, maybe its the extra weight.
This mod is designed to help you on turns and side sway.
It is just a set of springs that gets the front wheel back straight which helps on uneven roads and when a large truck passes you fast. It also will keep the front wheels straight in case you have a front tire blow out.
Yes yours may be what you like but I drive many miles in the past 18 months and want a little extra help making it a more enjoyable drive.
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 08:54 PM   #22

Hi Emerald Lake,
If you have a 2012 or later use the 5807 bracket on this link:
http://www.blueox.com/Uploads/AppGuides/tc5807.pdf

Also, I had the safety steer on my last two F53's and they were very good at stabilizing the rig. On my 2012 378 I changed to the tru center so I could re-center the rig on the fly. It is fantastic. As the road crown and side winds vary pushing the switch and holding the rig straight for 3 seconds and letting go of the switch lets you go straight without pulling the wheel. Caution>>>> I started with the TC 160 version and it did not stabilize the rig as well as the Safety Steer did. I had some discussions with the tech guys at blue Ox and the sent me a 270 unit to try. It is great. I kept it. We figured the 160 was designed for the old F53 with 19.5 " tires and worked well. The Newer 22.5" from end is much closer to a diesel suspension and needed the 270. BTW the on only difference in the true centers are the spring tension, everything else is the same. The last three numbers are the pounds of force of the centering spring and the Safety Steer falls between 160 and 270.
I know there are some that don't have a stabilizing issue and I think they have shorter rigs without a stone wall, 200 lb washer/dryer, water storage, and 2 or 3 feet extra all behind the rear axle. Also, if you don't try these extras you may not realize how good the rig can handle.
I have always considered these upgrades a safety item that I never want to wish I had in a very bad situation where it might make a difference between disaster and not.
intercept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 04:42 AM   #23

My DS360 is 38' but the floor plan is simpler and perhaps better balanced as built. I actually have to remind myself to keep both hands on the wheel. It steers easily with a light grip and one hand. Pulling into a fuel stop with a big dip in the driveway is when I rock and roll, but I learned early on to go very slow when the pavement is that uneven. I think for me the modification I would consider would be the one that gives you blowout protection. I don't need any improvement in handling, but that extra safety factor sounds like a real good idea.
BillMFl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 09:28 AM   #24

iggy, thx for the pics; intercept - thx for the first-hand comparison.

Iggy, in your pics, I see the SteerSafe installs on the curved part of that bar. The flat part is I assume where most lifts would lift the coach. I think the concern I read was if the shop had wider lift or something; I suppose that just means I have to find the right shop.

Intercept, I have the 19.5" tire 20.5K chassis. Yours is the Georgetown XL 22.5" 20K chassis. I saw your model and had already agreed to buy one of the 350TS, but then decided to go w/the 351DS and save some $ and get the residential fridge. Luckily, my dealer was cool. I chatted with the guy from BlueOx on email, and he said the 270 is too strong for my chassis. He also clarified that the 5804 will work fine, but 5807 works slightly better for newer chassis.
emeraldlake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 09:53 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillMFl View Post
I am puzzled by all these modifications. My 012 360DS handles just fine and tracks good. I get the occasional push from a fast moving semi but not extreme. Even with a 500 mile day I don't have fatigue due to handling problems. Nice relaxing ride There must be something wrong? Or did I just get lucky. My wife brings all her shoes, maybe its the extra weight.
YEP you got a good one.

Evidently most of us have had major alignment problems from the factory.

Ours was off A LOT, was wearing the tires BAD.
at Forest River they KNOW Ford doesn't align, they can't they don't know what will be built on it!

ab&jb
Old 10-28-2013, 09:56 AM   #26

Emerald, I totally agree. That setup will be great with the 19.5" front end. Iggy's setup will work great too. I always find the info between owners the best info. I wish FR had the residential fridge as an option when we got out GT. Happy camping.
Old 10-28-2013, 10:02 AM   #27

Bought the TigerTrak, and will do the sway bar mod. I also live close enough to Henderson's Lineup, so I'll go there to get my Safe-T-Plus installed instead of TruCenter. I've read enough good things about Safe-T-Plus (and Henderson's!) and enough cautions of TruCenter that I just don't want to take the risk.
emeraldlake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 10:16 AM   #28

This interesting. On my previous F53 chassis I used Henderson's parts and added the Air Compressor/Air Brake Trim Unit they offer with the Safety Steer to re-center the steering on the fly for the F53. It works good but I moved over to the tru-center for simplicity. Talk to them about that.
It is similar to the diesel unit:
SuperSteer Trim Unit for Monaco Chassis