Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-17-2019, 05:29 PM   #1

Front Headlight Bezel Replacement

2014 Georgetown had slight damage to plastic, Driver side headlight bezel while stored in warehouse, picture attached. Contacted FR about replacement, told to contact local authorized dealer who then contacted FR. Was told Black/Chrome bezel has been replaced by Chrome bezel meaning I have to order both driver and passenger side. Quoted to me by dealer as $189.93 ea. Asked about labor as they appear to be "glued" on. Ask for quote on labor - 2 hrs each side @ $135/hr for total of $540. Plus $316 for bezels (Service only marks parts up 50% while the Parts dept mark them up 80%). Anyone have info on alternate source for these bezels and how or type of adhesive used to attach them?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191025_155059558.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	150.9 KB
ID:	219314  
Donamac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 10:16 PM   #2

I have the same bezel in plastic and the chrome coating has worn off.
I'm considering removing them and paint them with good quality Chrome paint for plastic.
May be cheaper to fill in and paint with chrome paint for plastic.

This is what I plan to use on my bezels.
The chrome is gone and the black under the chrome is showing thru.

Best stuff around if you spray lightly and use a hair dryer to dry between coats. only 3.5 oz can but worth a quick fix for me.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	s-l1600.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	219428  
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 12:34 PM   #3

You can fill in the holes with this 3M product that is used to repair broken plastic parts.
https://www.zoro.com/3m-semi-rigid-p...40/i/G2178434/

Unique formula bonds a variety of semi-rigid plastics
Fast-curing urethane chemistry enhances productivity
Adhesive reinforces two-sided repairs
High-performance adhesive creates a lasting bond
200 mL dual-syringe cartridge system makes application easier
3M™ Semi-Rigid Plastic Repair effectively repairs both one-sided and two-sided damage on a variety of automotive plastic components. This adhesive is commonly used for backside reinforcement repair, as well as general bonding. We recommend our high-performance, two-component urethane adhesive for repairing damaged bumpers and re-building tabs.

3M™ Semi-Rigid Plastic Repair is a specially formulated urethane adhesive that will create a strong, lasting-lasting repairStrong Adhesion for Semi-Rigid Plastics
From reinforcing the backside of bumpers to re-building tabs, 3M™ Semi-Rigid Plastic Repair is a specially formulated urethane adhesive that will create a strong, lasting-lasting repair. Our product is an excellent choice for bonding, back-side reinforcing and cosmetic filling of plastic parts because of its extremely fast work time and strength. We formulated our product to offer strong adhesion over a range of temperatures. It's also highly effective for bonding dissimilar material s such as plastic, fiberglass and metal.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Z-6Ky-fo5oy.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	24.5 KB
ID:	219440  
Old 11-19-2019, 08:39 PM   #4

Thanks Iggy for the information and options to consider. Right now I'm leaning toward buying a new chrome bezel and painting it black since I prefer the black look over the chrome. Of course, I will have to paint the other bezel also. My next quest is trying to find out the type of adhesive they use and how to remove and reattach the bezels. The damaged bezel is loose on the end and appears to have broken loose from the impact. You can also see the adhesive underneath.
Old 11-19-2019, 08:59 PM   #5

Let me know how it come off when you do it.
Take a few pictures because I may take mine off and repaint them off instead of attached. That's if it possible without breaking them.
Like to see them in black paint.
Old 11-27-2019, 11:33 AM   #6

So you getting the bezels from Forest River or someone else?
What is the part number and who did you contact at FR to buy them?
Old 12-27-2019, 11:25 AM   #7

Sorry Iggy, I just saw your question.
I have not been able to find another source. When I asked Forest River for a price & ordering info they directed me to local FR dealer. I'll attach a copy of the sheet the dealer printed for me showing PNs and dealer price.
No more info at this time.Bezels.pdf
Old 12-27-2019, 01:37 PM   #8

Not sure you can open PDF file I attached.
Here is another copy.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191227_133208605.jpeg
Views:	129
Size:	33.0 KB
ID:	221038
Old 12-27-2019, 11:27 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donamac View Post
Not sure you can open PDF file I attached.
Here is another copy.Attachment 221038
Thanks, Have you installed them yet?
Still want to hear if they actually are glued on or not.
Any additional pictures would be helpful on your new install.
Weather is still cool here and will wait until it warms up and I plan on spraying mine with the Chrome paint above.
I will take pics.

Thanks
Happy New Year.
Old 01-02-2020, 10:35 AM   #10

Iggy,
I have not order any new bezels yet since I would have to order (2) and live with chrome or order (1) and remove the other one and paint both. So I decided to try and repair the hold and rub out the white paint.

The damaged one was already loose on the outside end. It was evidently loosened during the incident when the other RV rubbed against it. I had not contacted FR again about type of adhesive, but after pulling and pushing around the edges of the bezel a few times over a 2-day period, it finally popped off.

I've attached pictures. It was attached with a LOT of clear, sealant/adhesive, about 1/8 inch thick. It was all still adhered to the fiberglass and none to the plastic. As you can see in the picture, there were several pieces of double-sided tape attached to bezel (red) and fiberglass (white) as, I assume, spacers to maintain desired gap between the two pieces. Waiting on the JB Weld plastic bonder now.
Old 01-02-2020, 10:36 AM   #11

2nd try on pictures.

Name:	IMG_20191228_134216795.jpeg
Views:	69
Size:	31.3 KB
ID:	221283Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191228_134228651.jpeg
Views:	63
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	221284
Old 01-02-2020, 11:50 AM   #12

Thanks for the pictures.
I would have never imagined they would just use clear silicone to secure those bezel.

After looking at your pictures the area with the silicone on the middle and outer light my discoloration of my bezels chrome match that shape. Hummm

I still haven't painted mine yet with the Chrome paint above.
I guess I will have to mask the area really good cause I don't plan on taking those bezels off.

Happy New Year.

Tags
light, replacement