Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-10-2019, 07:49 PM   #1

Front Power Shade Issue

We’ve never had an issue with our shade on the front window until today. We keep our rig inside and went out today to start it up and take it out for a cruise. The shade wouldn’t go all the way up. It stayed down about 10 inches or about level with the bottom of those crazy defrost fans. It would travel all the way from the bottom up just fine and then stop. I tried repeatedly . How the heck did something break when it’s been sitting there? Our unit is a 2016 364TS, purchased new.
kentdavido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 10:03 PM   #2

Any fix solutions?
Old 03-10-2019, 10:10 PM   #3

You probably just need to reprogram it.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 04:53 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
You probably just need to reprogram it.

I appreciate that thought and how do you reprogram a power shade? Thank you
Old 03-11-2019, 06:19 AM   #5

There are 2 shade companies supplying shades to Forest River that I know of; MCD and Irvine Shade. Here is a link that contains instructions for both types. Read thru the posts to view the applicable one.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ix-176097.html
Old 03-11-2019, 06:53 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
There are 2 shade companies supplying shades to Forest River that I know of; MCD and Irvine Shade. Here is a link that contains instructions for both types. Read thru the posts to view the applicable one.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ix-176097.html

Thank you for the information and education. You guys are the best.
Old 03-11-2019, 01:49 PM   #7

Well I’m pretty amazed I sent an email to Forest River Georgetown warrantee department first thing this morning and shortly there after I received a reply. Big shout out to them.
Old 03-11-2019, 08:28 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentdavido View Post
Well I’m pretty amazed I sent an email to Forest River Georgetown warrantee department first thing this morning and shortly there after I received a reply. Big shout out to them.
Did you do the programming procedure and if so did it clear the issue?
Old 03-11-2019, 08:35 PM   #9

There could be a micro switch hidden inside the plastic cover between the windshield and left window that is used for programming. I found it was easier to carefully roll the shade up by hand. Turned rather hard but got it up where needed. It had slowly snuck down over time. Has not moved enough to notice over the past three years. I had accidentally found the switch when the cover was removed to install a CB antenna. I called Forest River at the time but the person I talked with had no idea.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Switch 1.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	194.9 KB
ID:	198531   Click image for larger version

Name:	Switch 2.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	168.7 KB
ID:	198532   Click image for larger version

Name:	Switch 3.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	250.6 KB
ID:	198533  
First Mate = Xiangbing
Crew = Radar, NiuNiu & NaNa
BobHanke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 10:07 PM   #10

Hi there, I have not done the procedure yet. But apparently there are 2 buttons Underneath the trim on the left side of the windshield. Soon as I get out there in the next couple days I’ll let you know.
Old 04-30-2019, 01:22 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentdavido View Post
We’ve never had an issue with our shade on the front window until today. We keep our rig inside and went out today to start it up and take it out for a cruise. The shade wouldn’t go all the way up. It stayed down about 10 inches or about level with the bottom of those crazy defrost fans. It would travel all the way from the bottom up just fine and then stop. I tried repeatedly . How the heck did something break when it’s been sitting there? Our unit is a 2016 364TS, purchased new.
We’re having this same issue on our 2012 378. Lately it doesn’t work at all. Tried reprogramming it and also bought new house batteries. Any suggestions?
cap2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 10:17 PM   #12

So ironically I brought my MH to Florida in February due to an injury, but the dealer preform the TSB to stop the shade from unwinding while driving but this past week went over to start it up and run the generator for a while because the batteries haven't been staying charged. I raised the shade and found, which I'll assume is the programming button top drivers side of the shade. Anyway Shade went up 1/2 way stopped, went down then only came up less and less every time I've tried the button but perhaps I'm not familiar with how it works. Went out today with steps I thought would allow me to reprogram the shade. Got it all the way up with some stepping but when I went down and then up it stopped only several inches off the button. I'm waiting for the dealer to provide a fix since it's obvious they messed something up when they fixed it the first time !
Any help would be greatly appreciated as I was hoping to take it out Memorial Day weekend camping.
Great Granddaughter - Cora (2 y/o)
Great Grandson - Zek (1 y/o)
Phillip (son)/Charlotte (6 y/o)
dmctlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 04:18 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmctlc View Post
So ironically I brought my MH to Florida in February due to an injury, but the dealer preform the TSB to stop the shade from unwinding while driving but this past week went over to start it up and run the generator for a while because the batteries haven't been staying charged. I raised the shade and found, which I'll assume is the programming button top drivers side of the shade. Anyway Shade went up 1/2 way stopped, went down then only came up less and less every time I've tried the button but perhaps I'm not familiar with how it works. Went out today with steps I thought would allow me to reprogram the shade. Got it all the way up with some stepping but when I went down and then up it stopped only several inches off the button. I'm waiting for the dealer to provide a fix since it's obvious they messed something up when they fixed it the first time !
Any help would be greatly appreciated as I was hoping to take it out Memorial Day weekend camping.

There was a recent recall on the front shade. Maybe contact FR for update
coffeegrinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 08:00 AM   #14

Front Sun Shade

Long and short of it is it's fixed. For those interested I had tried to reprogram it several times, figuring that the little button hanging there now, was part of it problem because it wasn't there before the dealer implemented a TSB fixing a known Sun Shade problem that FR identified late last year. After reading the response and calling the Service Manager, he in turn had his expert there contact me and explain the proper steps, similar to what I saw later that nite from others. Turns out FR fixed one problem but introduced another one that generate yet a 2nd TSB. Anyway being fairly savvy with technical things like this, the steps Jordan gave me were fairly easy and all good, now. Thanks to everyone who replied as well appreciate the help.
Great Granddaughter - Cora (2 y/o)
Great Grandson - Zek (1 y/o)
Phillip (son)/Charlotte (6 y/o)
dmctlc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power