Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-10-2010, 07:26 PM   #1
Kanadian Kamper

Lightbulb Front privacy curtains in Georgetown MH's

Still newbies when it comes to our unit (a 2010 model 330TS) but loving it. It's presently at the dealer for various repairs and corrections under warranty.

One thing we found annoying when we were camping, was trying to draw the curtains closed around the track at the front for night time privacy. The curtain track is straight along the sides, and straight along the front, but making the curtain material follow the track around the corners was very frustrating and time consuming, to say the least.

To correct the situation, we removed the section of curtain material that would cover the front windshield area, from the track. We then threaded the eyelets of these curtains onto a small diameter cable that we stretch tight AND STRAIGHT, and clip them along the mounting arms for the sunvisors.

Now we have privacy from the front using the above installation, and we still use the existing curtains and tracks for each side to complete the privacy. We lose a minimal amount of interior depth by the front curtains being well back from the windshield and not having access to the dash, but we don't see this as a big inconvenience anyway...........however the cats do not appreciate losing their patio and associated viewing point.

Anyone alse having this problem or have another solution?

Ken and Terry
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 09:40 PM   #2

I am looking into power shades for the front and using curtains on the side windows only.
Old 11-11-2010, 12:34 PM   #3

I have a 350 2008 and have the factory front drapes. I don't have any problems much closing them, just lap them and don't use the front Velcro fasteners. In traveling North west this year and it was colder than normal, the front seats where I set to use the PC, it was cold to shoulder and I also bought sun screens for the heat and that's works well. To make it warmer I just bought room dark-ing material and sewed to out side of curtain and wow makes room darker. I hope it also makes room warmer. Also I have all of the dash to put lite stuff. I will see it this helps.
whitebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 02:43 PM   #4

To make it warmer and darker, we also made new side curtains with "warm window" brand quilting for out 2007 340. we also made a new set for the front and hang them from the sunvisor mounts with velcro. we kept the original front curtains on the track. They get easier to operate with practice. The insulated curtains make a huge difference in the winter for us.
akcampr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 08:54 PM   #5

We found the front curtains wanting as well. They are very difficult to close. Like one of the other posters mentioned I am interested in the power shades because the sunvisors are crap as well. Does anyone know if there is an electrical supply that can be readily accessed for the power shades or do you have to run a new line from the fuse panel area?
Lloyd
starburst2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 09:49 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by starburst2 View Post
We found the front curtains wanting as well. They are very difficult to close. Like one of the other posters mentioned I am interested in the power shades because the sunvisors are crap as well. Does anyone know if there is an electrical supply that can be readily accessed for the power shades or do you have to run a new line from the fuse panel area?
Lloyd
Mine is in the shop right now for warranty and they are giving me an estimate to have shades installed. The 2011's have the shades as an option. I think they could use the dc running to the fans maybe?? I will post back on this thread when I find out some more information.
Old 11-19-2010, 01:54 PM   #7

Thanks for the feedback bresdogsr. I await your further comments when you get your coach back.
Regars,
Lloyd
Old 11-20-2010, 03:50 AM   #8

The problem with the front curtains (at least in my RV) was that the eyelets (or whatever you call them) that slide along the track are too tight. I took an flat blade screwdriver and expanded the ones that seemed to "drag" along the track and now everything zips along the track very freely.

That being said, I still removed the curtains that cover the front windshield and instead cut out two sections of reflective foil window shade material and I place that in the front windshield and just use the curtains on the sides. Total privacy. Bought the reflective windshield material at Camping World for $20. One large roll was enough to do the entire front windshield.
blightle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 10:22 PM   #9

That is the same problem I encountered. I guess I'm a little challenged as I didn't think of such a simple fix. The other, more important issue is the useless sun visors that can't be adjusted as you drive and don't come down sufficient distance to block the sun when close to the horizon. I will try your privacy drapes solution but I also need to address the sun vizor aspect as well.
Thanks again,
Lloyd
Old 11-26-2010, 02:49 PM   #10

I put a small amount of silcon grease in the track, worked the shades bac and forth a couple times to spead it around. They work much better now.
dheiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 05:45 PM   #11

dheiser
Doesn't the grease stain your curtain tops?
Lloyd
Old 11-26-2010, 06:31 PM   #12

My sweet children provided me with the specialized tool necessary to make the factory bits pull more smoothly.

You must first rinse (or lick thoroughly) the popsicle stick. Insert stick between two sides and pry apart.

Opening and closing the curtain has gone from a one at a time pull the tab around the corner to the pull wand actually working quite well.

If we do any more chilly camping I will make additional quilted curtains to keep out the cold. The windshield and side windows are not doublepane (of course) and wow you can really feel the difference.
days camped in 2011: 37 (up to Aug 1st)
2Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 11:45 AM   #13

No, no stains. Just pressed a few dabs into the track with my finger then closed and opened the shades a few times to spread the grease the length of the track.
No stains, no problem.
dheiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 11:52 PM   #14

Windshield curtains

Quote:
Originally Posted by blightle View Post
The problem with the front curtains (at least in my RV) was that the eyelets (or whatever you call them) that slide along the track are too tight. I took an flat blade screwdriver and expanded the ones that seemed to "drag" along the track and now everything zips along the track very freely.

That being said, I still removed the curtains that cover the front windshield and instead cut out two sections of reflective foil window shade material and I place that in the front windshield and just use the curtains on the sides. Total privacy. Bought the reflective windshield material at Camping World for $20. One large roll was enough to do the entire front windshield.
We bought an 02 that had been sitting in the sun for two years so the curtains were sunrotted. I made new ones using the top tape from the old ones. I used ironing board cover fabric as curtain liner. It is soft, lightweight, sun/heat reflective and opaque so blocks cold and light as well. It is really easy to sew on too. Available at most any good fabric store for about @$8. yd. and I think I used about 6 yards.
TNTRVLRS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
georgetown