Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-05-2015, 07:04 PM   #1

Front roof lights and sun damaged roof vent covers

I have just purchased a new Georgetown 270S and was on the roof cleaning it when I noticed the plastic vent covers are damaged by the sun's UV rays. Are they easily replaced without ruining the roof? Also, my front roof light lenses are all cracked from the sun's rays, letting moisture in. How do they come out? It appears that they are held in via silicone sealant but I may be wrong on that. Any ideas? I was not expecting a 2015 motorhome to be so beat up for being so-called brand new. It must have been parked by the ocean for so long! Thanks for any comments on this.
gapeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 07:06 PM   #2

If it's brand new, isn't this stuff covered under warranty? If so, I would let FR fix it.... If it's not warranty, then that's a whole nother issue!

2013 Georgetown XL 350
Bunkhouse
2002 F250 4X4 CC
2012 Jeep Liberty
Dijoeboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 10:08 PM   #3

Yes to both.
Vent comes out pretty easy with a few screws, I'd say about a 20 min job from start to finish.
The front lights just pop out and you can replace the bulbs yourself. A little silicone to seal them in and you'll be good to go. You'll need 194 type bulbs to replace the lights.
Starboard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 10:47 PM   #4

My marker lights looked like crap too, but mine was several years older than yours. I found some at a truck stop that fit and where LED and I put them in with stainless steel screws. They've been in about 18 months now and still look good. I used plenty of silicone behind them. I concentrated on sealing the holes behind them rather than calking around them. So the silicone is hidden.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001JSYH5G..._L0Fivb1B1JPCJ

My roof vents also looked like crap. The covers are easy to do. But mine had this tiny little weak fan in them. So I took the opportunity to replace the whole unit them with fantastic vents. Covered one over the bathroom, since you need to open that one a lot, even in the rain. And I really like the see-through tinted covers. Nice to be able to look up there and see the weather.

Doing the whole unit it's probably 25 screws per unit and you need a tube of dicor self leveling lap sealant for each one you do. No worry about damaging the roof it's tough fiberglass. And you'll be covering with a whole mess is dicor when you're done.

Good projects if you're the DIY type.

Tags
cover, light, roo, roof, vent