Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-05-2016, 09:11 AM   #1

Front Slider blows fuses.

I have a 2012 36' class 360. Georgetown
Recently when extending or pulling it in...blows fuse. I looked under the slide and noticed the floor under the refrigerator side is rubbing.
I was told to Check under the carpet flap inside for anything rubbing. I took a pic and sent to Forest River. See attached.....this is what is rubbing and causing fuses to blow.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1457187058376.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	69.5 KB
ID:	101098   Click image for larger version

Name:	1457187077333.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	43.6 KB
ID:	101099  
robbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 09:30 AM   #2

The picture is of the nylon strips that aren't rubbing.
Juju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 12:34 PM   #3

There have been several owners who have and are experiencing the rubbing issue on the bottom of the slides. This seems to be most often occurring on the large heavy slides. I know of two fixes forest river has used. One is plastic slide glides attached to the bottom of the slides to stop the rubbing. I've heard some reports this fix has worked well for some but heard reports where others had problems with the plastic slides breaking. The other modification is metal plates to be installed on the bottom of the slides. These plates will cover up the damage to the chipboard if caught early. Forest River does have these plates available however I'm not sure they have been very open and forthcoming admitting there is a wide spread problem. However when I was investigating my problem last summer there were a couple of owners whom reported forest River had modified the bottom of their slides at the annual owners group rally free of charge. I noticed this gouging problem with my 2013 Georgetown 378 xl last summer. When I contacted forest River I was referred to Travis Byrd. When first contacting him he offered nothing. He did not even mention forest River had plates available to take care of the problem. He indicated because I was out of warranty he could not help me. He also denied knowing of a wide spread problem occurring with many coaches. I communicated with him by phone and email several times and each time he said there was nothing he could do to help me. Only after threatening to write a letter to motorhome magazine action line for assistance did he quickly offerer to send me metal plates to fix the problem. I installed the plates myself and it seems to have taken care of the problem. I will attach a picture of the plates on the bottom of my slides to give you an idea of what I'm talking about. The pictures of the bottom of the slide it's difficult to see the plates as I painted them black to match the original material covering the bottom of the slides. The other picture is from the inside of the coach after installing the plates. This should give you an idea about how wide they are. I would highly suggest you get this repaired as soon as possible. My main concern was the water that was wicking down to the chipboard when my slides were extended when it was raining. Additionally each time you extend or retract your slide the damage will continue to get worse as the gouging will continue until you install a modification to protect the wafer board. I'm also including a picture of the damage to my slide before repair. 
Name:   ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1457198548.143477.jpg
Views: 515
Size:  72.9 KB

Name:   ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1457198593.766365.jpg
Views: 514
Size:  79.0 KB
ATTACH]101118[/ATTACH]
Attached Images

Old 03-05-2016, 12:42 PM   #4

The first pictures are small so I'm attaching a larger picture of the bottom after repair. Again it's hard to see because of the color. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1457199682.720780.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	101124Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1457199723.340812.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	101125
Old 03-05-2016, 01:05 PM   #5

In reference to the breakers tripping I have also experienced this two different times. One with the front slide and second problem with the bedroom slide. I replaced the wiring inside the plastic conduit to my front slide and this fixed my issue with the front slide. I suspect the problem was a short occurring when the slide extended fully as it appeared to be stretching the wire inside the conduit. After replacing the wire I've not had a problem again. The second problem I had was with the rear bedroom slide. This took several hours of chasing wires before finally finding the problem under the plywood floor of the storage area under the bed. What I discovered was by storing two cases of water under the bed had caused the quarter inch plywood floor in the bottom of the bed storage compartment to sag which in turn caught on the metal junction box under the plywood floor. This caused an ugly mess of damage to the wiring each time I extended the bedroom slide. I was popping 110 v breakers. I'll attach a few pictures of the damage I found. I was able to repair and replace the damage wiring myself (thanks to being an old USAF retired back shop avionic technician) and modified slightly by using a shallow gang box which allowed for more clearance. I would suggest looking for a wiring problem as far as breakers tripping as I don't think repairing the wafer board problem you have will resolve the tripping breakers. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1457200806.639485.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	101126Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1457200864.334483.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	82.1 KB
ID:	101127Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1457200909.557649.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	101128
Old 03-07-2016, 11:15 AM   #6

slider problem

Ok, we are in a real pickle now. Front slider will not move......out or in. HELP!!!!!
Old 03-07-2016, 11:34 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juju View Post
Ok, we are in a real pickle now. Front slider will not move......out or in. HELP!!!!!
On 2/24/2016 you Posted the Same thing,Member Jerryhowell,came to your location to Help and was told you called a Mobile repair,then you posted "Fixed/Fuse"! I thanked Jerry for his attempted Help to you! Like the Mobile repair said "Do Not know the cause" but I would put a "Auto-Reset type Fuse/Relay" in that location! Youroo!!
Old 03-07-2016, 11:52 AM   #8

Quote:
OUCH the same thing happened to us, slide was out.
Is your pump running, are you on shore or generator power?

Take a look at your slide to make sure it's ALL THE WAY in or out, both ends.
One of our hydraulic rams was not moving as fast as the other (the one under the refrigerator).
Causing the slide to wedge itself after moving about 18" in the front and only 6" in the back.

I adjusted the slide enough with the ram adjusters to get the slide UNwedged
Then I got a come-a long like this one
1200 Lb. Capacity Cable Puller
and 2 long tow ropes.
Tied one rope to the front ram bracket the other to a tree (my tree, almost pulled it out of the ground) with the come-a-long in between.
Held the front ram while the back one caught up.
Had to let some slack in the come-a-long several times!

Our dealer and I were hopping the problem was in the splitter valve between the 2 rams $$$ it wasn't.

Hind sight 20/20 should have had the rams rebuilt $$$, dealer replaced both rams $,$$$.
Old 03-07-2016, 11:57 AM   #9

slider

We are on shore power and pump runs. Back slide works fine.
Old 03-09-2016, 08:36 AM   #10

We had to call a serviceman again!!! After checking many things, he got the sllider to go out. it seems we need either a new hydraulic pump, or a whole new system. Waiting now for the company to send it to the dealer so guys can come back and fix us up. We have to be out of here 5 days.
Old 03-09-2016, 09:30 AM   #11

Quote:
We had to call a serviceman again!!! After checking many things, he got the sllider to go out. it seems we need either a new hydraulic pump, or a whole new system. Waiting now for the company to send it to the dealer so guys can come back and fix us up. We have to be out of here 5 days.
Juju what yr and model do you have?

"new hydraulic pump, or a whole new system." careful!! if your rear slide and jacks work why would you need a new pump, tell him thanks, you'll get a second opinion.
Old 03-09-2016, 02:49 PM   #12

We have a 2012 Georgetown 360. My husband just informed me it's not the pump, it's a valve. This is an Equalizer system.
Old 03-09-2016, 05:38 PM   #13

Robbi, hi. We had the same issue with our slide. Ours looked just like yours. Forest River warranted the fix. But it took the dealer 6 weeks to somewhat fix it. But it now has caused another issue. The dealer tried 3 different fixes. First was a slide plate that damaged our floors the a roller fix. Now after the last fix the floor is raised up about 1" and has a bounce to it. We are planning on swinging by the factory this summer to see if Forest River can do a better job. Our local dealer is refusing to do anything else to it.
Good luck and if you get it fix to your liking please respond to what they did.
Old 03-10-2016, 09:07 AM   #14

Should have the parts by today and the servicemen will be out to fix our problem. Hopefully we won't have to call any more service men this trip!!!! Four times in one trip, from Jan 5 until now is a few too many!!!! Will check in later to let you know all is well.
Old 03-16-2016, 12:59 PM   #15

Still stuck in Pensacola at a RV repair shop. Spent one night in our RV parked outside their faciility, spent last night in a motel, which we just found out is covered by our extended warranty insurance. Tomorrow is my birthday. Wonder where I'll be spending it??? Can you spell "fed up"?
Old 03-17-2016, 08:15 AM   #16

Would you believe!!! The part sent from the factory was missing an O-ring. All fixed and back on the road. Pennsylvania here we come!!!!!! Thank you Lord!!
Old 03-19-2016, 09:54 AM   #17

Sorry to hear you had all those problems. Good luck on your trip back north
jerryhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 05:15 PM   #18

slide

We had an uneventful trip back to Penna. Now to get the RV cleaned inside and out for our next trip in June. So happy everything went so smoothly coming home.
Old 03-27-2016, 08:22 PM   #19

Glad you made it back to Pa. Like us we are getting ready to head out in June. First stop South Dakota
jerryhowell is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuse, slide