Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-05-2016, 11:50 AM   #1

Front Speaker Mod

So, it really bugs me that I cant listen to the radio while driving without blasting out my rear occupants (read: Kids). ...and they want to watch TV. I however do not want to listen to their TV and used to just put in headphones from my phone/navigation/internet device. That isolated me though and when my wife was riding up front ended up doing the one ear thing or something else.

So... I put on my "I used to do car stereo stuff as a kid" hat and came up with this:

I have not covered them yet, I ordered some vinyl from Amazon, but it has not come in time before our beach trip.

For the hookup, I just rewired the rear speakers together in a series making it an 8ohm load on the head unit (much safer than wiring in series making it a 2ohm load and making the stereo hot)

The added bonus of doing this was I found the subwoofer "amp" behind the stereo panel and turned it down. Mine was set to max and that was causing some distortion that I didnt care for sonically.

So now I can just set the fader to all front and enjoy my music. Added benefit, it makes the whole system sound better for movies when parked.
trs80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 05:05 PM   #2

Hey trs80 (love the name, btw. My first computer was a trs80 coco2 and taught myself BASIC with the included manual)!

A couple of your pics didn't share properly. Looks like maybe you're sharing from Google Photos? I've seen this happen before; the general population doesn't have permission to see those. You need to click the share button and use the URL it generates rather than copy / paste the URL from your address bar. I'm interested to see the mod too, sounds neat!
carmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 06:17 PM   #3

We did something similar in ours - added some 6" automobile speakers above the front seats - what is interesting is later model year 2015's actually had speakers there, so they must have realized you couldn't hear it otherwise.

A bit a of a PITA to get them wired, but we did also find the highly jacked up subwoofer and turn it down too.

Someone had posted they had put the speakers on an A/B switch, so they could select A (front) or B (rear) but we just run it the same way you did.

Garren
Edgar & Carlos (felines)
RIP Sophie, the sweetest cat ever.
ChrisAndGarren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 06:30 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmex View Post
Hey trs80 (love the name, btw. My first computer was a trs80 coco2 and taught myself BASIC with the included manual)!

A couple of your pics didn't share properly. Looks like maybe you're sharing from Google Photos? I've seen this happen before; the general population doesn't have permission to see those. You need to click the share button and use the URL it generates rather than copy / paste the URL from your address bar. I'm interested to see the mod too, sounds neat!
hmm ...interesting, when I posted it that way I could not see the pics when I did the preview, I will try again ...thanks for telling me
Old 05-06-2016, 06:32 AM   #5

Does that work?
Old 05-06-2016, 06:36 AM   #6

Doesnt look like it ...I guess I will find an image hosting site ...anyone have a favorite?
Old 05-06-2016, 08:57 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by trs80 View Post
Doesnt look like it ...I guess I will find an image hosting site ...anyone have a favorite?
Hm you are right, guess you can't do it:
https://productforums.google.com/forum/m/#!topic/photos/3GgTfa_4-Zk

I've used http://imgur.com/ before, it's pretty easy.
carmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 09:21 AM   #8

Lets try this again

and

Once the vinyl comes in I will post the finished product
Old 05-06-2016, 02:52 PM   #9

Nice. We put our speakers above - there was a space next to the cabinets - that's why the wires were such a pain...had to run them up behind the dash, behind the track for the front shade and then up into the cabinet. Was helpful I have small hands......

here's the link to the thread I had with the photos

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ers-79484.html

Garren
Edgar & Carlos (felines)
RIP Sophie, the sweetest cat ever.
ChrisAndGarren is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
modifications