Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-01-2009, 06:54 PM   #1

Front Television comes on automaticaly

I have a 2007 Georgetown 359 Motorhome. Whenever I plug into shore power, the television comes on automaticly. My dealer tells me this is normal. Is it?
Hankster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 08:38 PM   #2
AKA Bluebird

Send a message via Yahoo to dimurrrw
I don't have a Georgetown but I think your dealer is blowing smoke. By the same logic your TV should come on every time there is a momentary power outage.

dimurrrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 10:00 PM   #3

There is likely a setting in the TV that can be changed. I used to have a TV that did the same thing but I can't remember what the setting was called in the menu. What is the make and model of the TV? I'll see if I can find an owners manual online to help you out.
Max Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 06:38 AM   #4
Site Team

I have a Westinghouse TV and it has a setting in the menu that says
something like "auto on with power up" and you can either
choose that or not.
If you search the TV set up menu you'll find it!!
2016 Evergreen Everlite 242RBS
29' empty nest model. Blue Ox WD hitch
(1 queen bed, large main cabin and huge bathroom)
Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41, 2021-49, 2022-43, 2023-66
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 09:26 AM   #5
Cyber Phrenologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimurrrw View Post
I don't have a Georgetown but I think your dealer is blowing smoke. By the same logic your TV should come on every time there is a momentary power outage.
Some TVs do exactly that. The idea is if the power blips out while you are away from home, when the power returns the TV starts itself up, Auto-scans for all the channels and is in a ready to watch state (all be it left on) when you get home. In a home situation I guess that's less maddening that having to wait for a channel scan and assuming the TV lost it's mind for no reason.

A solution might be to install a switched outlet for the TV (one of those half switch half outlet deals, wired properly) or a switch that plugs into the outlet and the TV into the switch. Then you don't auto-scan until your either set up on the antenna or cable.

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 12:12 PM   #6

Thanks everyone for your help. I will try the menu item on the TV. And yes, it is a Westinghouse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyDan View Post
I have a Westinghouse TV and it has a setting in the menu that says
something like "auto on with power up" and you can either
choose that or not.
If you search the TV set up menu you'll find it!!
Old 09-02-2009, 12:13 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Power View Post
There is likely a setting in the TV that can be changed. I used to have a TV that did the same thing but I can't remember what the setting was called in the menu. What is the make and model of the TV? I'll see if I can find an owners manual online to help you out.
Thanks for our help.
Old 09-02-2009, 12:30 PM   #8
CLASS "A" Senior Member

I have a Georgetown with the same Westinghouse TV. I've chosen to turn off the Auto-On option and it still does the same thing. I keep my unit plugged in at home and had found the TV on in the morning when I'm ready to leave for work. "Damn ghosts watching Sports Center again." It seems to happen when the power blinks off then back on. If the power is off for more than a minute it stays off when power is restored. Sometimes it comes on when I first plug in at a campground with no picture and the little light on the side is blinking a purple color. I push that bottom and it turns blue then the picture comes on??. It's receiving power from the inverter until I plug in so it may be that quick changeover to shoreline power?

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote