Old 06-17-2015, 01:33 PM   #1

Front Tire Wear on Georgetown 360

I am a new rv'r, have had 38' georgetown for about 8 months, have 6,000 miles and front tires have extreme wear on them, I have not hit any pot holes or curbs, yet.
Does any one have any knowledge or experience about front end alignments or warranty issues ?? Or am I just on the hook.
As a side note I do not run with heavy weight capacity and I believe proper tire pressure, if that has any thing to do and it does not drive like it is out of line. Thanks for input

Old 06-17-2015, 08:58 PM   #2
Tim & Lisa Trempert

You needed an alignment about 5,000 miles ago. I'd get one right away. FR may cover it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

Old 06-17-2015, 09:22 PM   #3
Mod free 5er

Extreme wear is a little vague. Wear on outside, inside, one tire, both tires, cupping, right tire, left tire, etc.?
Old 06-17-2015, 10:56 PM   #4

Here is some pictures of tire wear.
What do you have?
What is your tire pressure set at?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tire_Wear.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	169.2 KB
ID:	80326   Click image for larger version

Name:	tire-wear_patterns.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	27.5 KB
ID:	80327  

Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 11:33 PM   #5

Front tires

We know all about the wear to the front tires ! We also have a 38 ft class A , but different model . We have had four other FR products before we decided to take the plunge and get a motor home. We bought a new 2013 , it took a little getting used to not only driving but getting other issues fixed . We always store inside in winter and are avid tire checkers for pressure . This year when got out of storage took in for oil change and the owner said have you noticed your front tires ? So we went over and what ware they had only the center stuck out and nothing on sides left of tires . He said you need to get a alignment and he suggested a place in another town and they got us right in, they said they hardly see any in this shape . When we picked it up they would not even rotate the front tires to the back because of the wear . When we started getting on the forum we started to see all the people who had suggested to others to go have them aligned before 90 days and FR would pay for alignment. My question is why when you buy them new is not anyone letting us know , it should be mandatory! We should not have to find out this way ! We only had 3500 miles on those tires .
Old 06-18-2015, 12:34 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by crousr01 View Post
I am a new rv'r, have had 38' georgetown for about 8 months, have 6,000 miles and front tires have extreme wear on them, I have not hit any pot holes or curbs, yet.
Does any one have any knowledge or experience about front end alignments or warranty issues ?? Or am I just on the hook.
As a side note I do not run with heavy weight capacity and I believe proper tire pressure, if that has any thing to do and it does not drive like it is out of line. Thanks for input
I'm sorry you're going through this. I just went through it not too long ago.

I took my Georgetown 270 in for a Road Performance Assessment since we were looking to beef up the sway control and was told I needed the alignment and shown some pretty significant wear on the front passenger tire. I remembered reading here about the 90-day thing, so I called the dealership to ask; the 90-day thing was confirmed.

I spoke with Kevin Stratton at FR (played phone tag for a while before actually speaking), and he told me they would allow me to use the service center I was working with and that we would be reimbursed for the alignment.

A number of other adjustments had to be made in order to make the alignment worthwhile, and I OK'd the work figuring I would most likely come out of pocket for everything other than the alignment. ...but what choice do you have, really? Getting everything straightened out and as it should be was necessary to save us from having to continually replace tires.

Anyway... I submitted the detailed paperwork to FR. And although it has taken WAY longer than it should (we're at 7 weeks now), I am under the impression that our "check is in the mail". The nice thing is that FR did their own work/research and determined that the additional work was necessary in order to make things right with the alignment, and the reimbursement amount reflects that.

My understanding is that we're all pretty much in this same boat. It would be nice if the industry standard was to align the coaches before sending them on the road to the dealerships.

I wish you luck and hope FR will help you out should you decide to contact them.
Days Camped 2015: 40
Days Camped 2016: 03
Christian_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 02:11 PM   #7

Our 2011 Georgetown 327DS had the same issue. The dealer said the "funny" steering was normal, the DW said it was unacceptable, and I was able to drive it and keep it in a lane on the highway. We contacted FR and they stated that they'd pay for a front end alignment (at a Ford dealer) but we couldn't find anyone anywhere near us that could do the alignment. The only dealer with the heavy vehicle alignment equipment didn't have a bay large enough to fit the RV into.

The situation was unresolved until we attended the August 2012 Goshen rally. The front end issue was on our list of repairs and FR sent us to the shop in Goshen that they use. When the alignment was checked, it was discovered that I had over 0.8" of toe-in instead of the 0-0.1" called for on the specs for the chassis. We had 18k miles on the rig and when I asked how the tires were, the technician told me that my right front tire had a palm sized patch where I was running on the cords. The left front was almost as bad but still had some rubber left on it.

FR picked up the cost of the alignment and, since we had been complaining about the problem since we purchased the (new) unit, helped us out with a replacement set of front tires. That's what I call good customer service.

We've been attending the International rally since 2012 and make it a point to include a yearly visit to the alignment shop. It's a lot cheaper to keep it aligned than to replace tires.

Phil
Old 07-12-2015, 01:19 PM   #8

All the Georgtowns should get a front end alignment as soon as you buy them

Tags
georgetown, tire