Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-22-2011, 10:27 PM   #1

Full body paint or not???

Hi all, Looking at 2011 Georgetown 350TS and I am not sure about the full body paint, it sure is an expensive option. Is the fulll body paint merely cosmetic or does it serve any other purpose (i.e. stand up better over time). Any comments on the 350TS as well? Currently have a Travel Trailer and thinking about the Class A route...
Col-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 10:32 PM   #2

Send a message via Skype™ to scubieman
Yes the full body paint should stand up better over time. Of coarse you still need to wash and wax to fully take care of it. For the price unsure. You can always take the stickers off and put new ones on. Takes lots of time . Overall unsure how much quicker the stickers will faint vs. paint.

scubieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 03:16 AM   #3
CLASS "A" Senior Member

The full body paint really makes the coach stand out. When we bought ours there was only one color scheme but now there are 4. All are very nicely designed patterns and colors. As stated you do have to wash and wash it but you still have to do that without the full body paint. It adds to the value of the coach for resale as well, although to me that's not such a big deal. We love ours!!!

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 07:08 AM   #4

Full body paint or not???
in three words
yes yes yes
brianj
take us
tncruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 08:40 AM   #5

Full Body Paint..I have had many without it and the last 3 motorhomes with full paint. I love the full body paint look and I can attest to the extra value when it is time to sell. Also, maybe I have attended too many happy hours but I think it is easier to keep clean. Without a doubt I always feel more enthusiastic about washing it because it looks so darn good when you are done.
polkatronron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 08:54 AM   #6

OK Guys I will admit that the full body paint looks good. But I question weather it will add to the resale of the Georgetown. By the time your ready to sell, the entire coachs condition will determine its value. We chose not to get the full body paint because it adds weight to the coach, and we liked the white glossy finish that comes standard. As far as taking care of the finish. I would say both are the same. I wax mine once a year with FAST WAX and the water just roles off.

Ken and Velda
Dahlgren, VA.
2008 Georgetown XL 378
2010 Ford Escape Limited
kvtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 10:03 AM   #7
Kanadian Kamper

Don't know what the actual cost is for full body paint........we got our special internet priced unit from inventory, and it was not painted. Guess the cost would be up to the individual, but I agree some of the painted ones look pretty impressive.

Only thing we have heard from those that camp in the warmer (read hot) climates, is that the basic white models are easier to cool in the direct sun.

Never bought anything new, while at the same time judging what the resale value would be. Some things should be for the satisfaction and justification of yourself..........it may not sway the next purchaser.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 10:14 AM   #8

Probably most people who buy a RV, do not take the time to wax them. I recall a earlier thread where someone who owned a paint and body shop said, "When RVs came in for body repair or for painting their was a lot of peeling on the RV". Be it decals and paint.
jcts43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 03:19 PM   #9

This is the first time for full body paint for us. Not just the fact that it looks nice but on our last 5th wheel the stickers started fading with in a couple years. I removed all that I could with a heat gun, but was very time consuming trying to remove something that had been baked on. I would agree that there is someting to be said for keeping clean and waxed for any RV. Just did ours on Monday..and wow that whooped me...wax on, wax off, wax on wax off..on and on and on..geez ...hehehe but sure looks shiney when done.

Happy adventures,
Barney
barlin44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 08:41 AM   #10

Just you so are aware, the dealer cost on fulll body paint option is $7000. Dealers are marking that up to $11000 in some cases. Last fall Forest River had a deal where they were giving dealers the full body paint option for free as a promo....
Old 02-27-2011, 04:20 PM   #11

For $7 grand, I can buy a lot of gas! I wash mine many times a year and wax it atleast once, twice if I have the extra time! yes the full body paint looks good, but white and stickers look just fine to me. in looking at some used A`s I see no price difference in fullbody paint vs. decals!

Better to have a bad day of camping than a good day at work!
Dodge Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 04:35 PM   #12

It may be different in different parts of the world. I know for a fact my used Itasca Diesel sold faster and I got my paint costs back...in fact, it was the full body paint that sold mine over one that was not, eventhough the cost on my unit was about 8 grand more...I am a big fan of full paint. It has worked well for me on 3 rigs on 5 years.
Old 03-04-2011, 07:54 PM   #13

Send a message via MSN to nemo45 Send a message via Yahoo to nemo45
With 2 coats of clear coat, why wax it?
nemo45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 08:16 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemo45 View Post
With 2 coats of clear coat, why wax it?
Hey Don,
As with any paint including clear coat, its not just the beautiful shine factor. Paint will weather and can oxidize. Water spots and the sun/heat will takes its toll on paint jobs over time. A good coat of wax will help maintain the paint and prolong the life of the paint. With that said, man oh man waxing this big ole coach can kick my butt....that would be part of my exercise program when I retire here soon..( doc says lifting the Bud cans don't count )..

Cheers and Happy Camping,
Barney
Old 03-04-2011, 08:56 PM   #15

I saw models with both the partial paint and the full paint, and just preferred the look of the partial paint, but that is just my own preference. As for resale value, I tend to hold onto vehicles for a long time, so I am less concerned about that. I had my last (and only prior) RV for 19 years, and it was white with stickers, and it held up pretty well.

Gary Shapiro, 2011 Georgetown 29' Class A
Dash, Molly & Lily - now at the Bridge and forever in my heart
Shadow - 4-year-old Greyhound
Hannah - 1 1/2-year-old GSD rescue
dashonthedash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 12:24 PM   #16

Actually, I find that the wax seems to just attract a lot of dust. I think if you wash with the proper soap (I use dish soap) and keep the surface clean of oil and salt that the paint will out last your travel time. Bugs are the thing you really need to keep on top of..
Old 03-06-2011, 02:29 PM   #17

Send a message via MSN to nemo45 Send a message via Yahoo to nemo45
Quote:
Originally Posted by polkatronron View Post
Actually, I find that the wax seems to just attract a lot of dust. I think if you wash with the proper soap (I use dish soap) and keep the surface clean of oil and salt that the paint will out last your travel time. Bugs are the thing you really need to keep on top of..
ditto
nemo45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 04:23 PM   #18

Well I reckon thats what makes life so great, Is we can all have different opinions. To me you look around and you can easily tell who washes and waxes their vheicle be it a car, truck or RV which mostly shows signs after a few years. Waxing sure dont make em run any better, it just seems like it after its freshly cleaned..hehe

Happy Camping to you all,
Barney

The Benefits of using a Car Wax or Paint Sealant - Auto Geek Online Auto Detailing Forum
Old 03-06-2011, 04:49 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by polkatronron View Post
I heard on a tv car show that you should never use dish soap to wash a vehicle. Dish soap has strong grease cutters and using it will strip off any protection you have on the paint. I use Meguiers Gold to wax my coach once a year. Makes it look great and, I feel, helps protect the finish.

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote