Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-11-2015, 04:53 PM   #1
WDK

Full timers.....

...my wife and I are about to take the plunge and are within a year of full timing for anywhere between 3 and 5 years upon retirement....we will still be hitting the road after that though then we will have hopefully found another brick and mortar home base. I am interested in any information or advice you full timers have i.e....what did you do when you had a maintenance issue and perhaps had to hotel it for a few days or longer, how do you choose to get your mail, how did you decided on your place of residency and or license and registration and what is your reason for taking to the road....we have many more questions....and are just building our knowledge base....we are going to do it and would like to be as prepared as possible.

WDK
WDK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 05:31 PM   #2

That's a lot of questions with big answers. :-) Maintenance... I think you will find that most places that will do work on your coach are pretty used to accommodating Rv'rs on the road. "Most" have no problem with you spending the night in your rig on their lot and doing work during the day. "Most" will also generally run you an extension cord for basic electric and a water hose. If you elect to hotel it, I would imagine they wouldn't have any problem giving you a ride to your hotel and back again when repairs are completed.

Mail... I use a mail forwarding service. There are a number of options there. They sort my mail for me based on my previous instructions, notify me electronically when mail is received.. including the senders information. From there I have the option for them to scan and send it electronically, call in and have it read to me, or sent to my current location via USPS. I really don't receive much paper mail and none of it is very pressing (year end stuff), so I generally let it accumulate and have it all sent at one time.

One thing to consider when selecting a mail forwarding service is to see if they are able/willing to help gather and submit various paperwork on your behalf when registration renewal/tax/etc times come around.

Residency... I chose residency based on the usual. Taxes, insurance, licensing and registration ease and cost, and the fact that I had a family member living in the state. It made it easier to make the trip over to establish residency when you can pay a visit to family at the same time. :-)

Some things to consider when establishing residency with a mail forwarding service.. not all States will allow using a mail service for such things as banking or receiving benefits. It's important to do your homework.

That's all pretty much in a nutshell, but there are tons of resources online when planning for full-timing. I would recommend browsing through the Escapees RV Club forums. Many of their membership are retired full-timers/snowbird/sunbird folks. They regularly discuss just such issues and would probably provide you with the most concise information within a single source. You don't have to be a member to join their forum.

Good luck and happy travels.
rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 08:14 AM   #3
WDK

Full timers.....

Thank you for that....right we are looking at residency and a mail exchange in South Dakota which is also pretty tax friendly....it appears we can do everything by mail except get a drivers license and we both have till late 2018 before that is necessary....we are taking the plunge, just trying not to get soaked!!

WDK
Old 05-12-2015, 09:19 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDK View Post
Thank you for that....right we are looking at residency and a mail exchange in South Dakota which is also pretty tax friendly....it appears we can do everything by mail except get a drivers license and we both have till late 2018 before that is necessary....we are taking the plunge, just trying not to get soaked!!

WDK

This is article that helps you see what are the best states when it comes to Full Time RVers.

What's The Best State For Fulltime RVers When It Comes To Taxes? | Fun Times Guide to RVing
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 10:43 AM   #5

If you will need to purchase health insurance make sure the state you choose offers PPO plans. There have been some issues in SD in that regard.

2010 F250 5.4L 3.73
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equal-i-zer 4pt 12K

2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
EQUALIZER E4 1200/12000
lbrjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 11:05 AM   #6

If you die do they stow you in the lower compartment or mail you to a PO Box?
Old 05-12-2015, 01:15 PM   #7

I think you eventually end up in the "dead letter box".
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 01:31 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
I think you eventually end up in the "dead letter box".
That's only if it doesn't have a return address.
Old 05-12-2015, 02:29 PM   #9
WDK

Thanks Iggy....that was good reading. We are still a year out though the count down can be shortened once we take delivery of our new coach and we are learning all we can.

WDK
Old 05-12-2015, 03:05 PM   #10

Quote:
Thanks Iggy....that was good reading. We are still a year out though the count down can be shortened once we take delivery of our new coach and we are learning all we can.

WDK
Use the time and look around what's available on used diesels.
Make a list of things it must have which will help.

Most have air suspension but find out how many air bags is important.
Some only have 1 airbag per wheel but good MH have 2 airbags per wheel.
When you sure you find the right rig have a qualified mechanic check it out for you and give you a list of the condition of the major components.
That is always a way to bring the selling price down.

When I retired it took me a year to learn how to retire and relax and not worry so much.
Good luck and count your days until you are totally free to sleep in when you want.

Change of subject.
Did you know we are having a FROG rally in Golden Village Palms RV Resort in Hemet Ca next week?
May 21st 25th. If you aren't registered and come for the weekend maybe you can drive over as you are really close.
We have about 30 rigs coming.
Old 05-12-2015, 05:13 PM   #11
WDK

I will be there.....I am only a couple of miles away....not sure if registering is necessary as I can pay by the day and my rig is newly for sale so I am not sure if a for sale sign in the window is what the rally is about as I can just leave it at home.

WDK
Old 05-12-2015, 05:24 PM   #12
WDK

Oh as far as rigs are concerned, if I have not said yet, we have our eye on the NeXas Bently diesel factory direct and are specing it out now trying to decide on what we want to upgrade....I am not a fan of used mostly because I really don't know whom I am buying from though I would buy from myself any day hehe...in one year I owned a top of the line Lance camper to get our feet wet...too small...sold it and bought a Sunseeker Class C...did not like the waisted space of the cab with it being a 30 footer so we upgraded to the GT 280DS, love it but we don't think its really full time worthy so we upgrading for retirement.

WDK
Old 05-12-2015, 05:29 PM   #13

Quote:
I will be there.....I am only a couple of miles away....not sure if registering is necessary as I can pay by the day and my rig is newly for sale so I am not sure if a for sale sign in the window is what the rally is about as I can just leave it at home.

WDK
If you register by calling them you get a lower daily rate than everyone else. You also get a free BBQ catered dinner compliments of Forest River. Al the rest of the means will be pot luck or we all go out, or not.
Check out the rally information here on the FROG rally forum for Hemet and if you please send an email to Gerry who is runny the show.
Oh we also will get a tour of the new Forest River plant nearby on Friday.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...5-a-78717.html

Hope you get a chance to come by.
Old 05-12-2015, 06:25 PM   #14
WDK

....will do....

WDK
Old 05-12-2015, 07:28 PM   #15

We're full timers and use Florida as our residence. We use Pass Port America as our mail forwarding service which gives us a Crestview, FL address. After the first year the tags are about $75 a year and there's no income tax. If you are a resident over 65 years old the state parks are half price and its a great place to spend winters. But I hope you go to SD for the winter as its getting harder and harder to get reservations in Florida for the winter.
StoneyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 10:31 AM   #16
WDK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
If you register by calling them you get a lower daily rate than everyone else. You also get a free BBQ catered dinner compliments of Forest River. Al the rest of the means will be pot luck or we all go out, or not.
Check out the rally information here on the FROG rally forum for Hemet and if you please send an email to Gerry who is runny the show.
Oh we also will get a tour of the new Forest River plant nearby on Friday.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...5-a-78717.html

Hope you get a chance to come by.

I have found that I can only be there on Friday...we had a precious outing already scheduled....that's my wife's job....I just drive....but having called the village several times now they have told me that they are still unaware of how to issue a day pass and for how much....working on it.

WDK